The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Breast reduction/dealing with big boobs?

Thought about creating an alter, but, what the hell.

I have been absolutely miserable over the past couple of years due to the size of my boobs. I have been working out, dieting, and trying to get back into shape, but it seems I have lost weight everywhere but my chest. In fact, they've grown. I'm starting to feel like a freak, I hate the way I look and I hate the leers and stares I get. It's gross.

I'm a 34 E, up from a 36 DD last year. I'm 27, and have gone from 200+ lbs, to 160, with my goal weight at 150 lbs. I eat very well and exercise often, lots of cardio, and weights to tone, not bulk. I have thought a lot about having reduction surgery, but don't have the time right now with my school schedule, and am worried about scarring, or that they will grow back after hearing some horror stories.

I can't find clothes that fit well, and it's starting to affect my shoulders-they're sore all the time now it seems. Any cother's had reduction surgery? Have the same problem? Does it affect your riding, your life, or self image? All my friends say they wish they had bigger boobs, and I'm always the one saying they're such a curse.

Any advice?

If you can do the surgery, do it. I know several women, including two in their late 20s/early 30s that have done it. All of them are happy with the results and recommend it to others.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Get a pro bra fitting. Not all bras fit the same. Keep on working out. 36DD to a 34E is not them getting larger, it is just your band size getting smaller.

How tall are you? I am 5'4, currently 142lbs, and a 36G.

I love my Wacoals, as they fit the best. You have to try all different brands, and styles.

It used to affect my riding til I got a proper sports bra. Thank goodness for the Anita bra, as I can finally put my shoulders back.

As far as clothes, different body types fit better in certain cuts of clothing. Work the best one for your body, and don't be afraid to utilize a tailor.

I am trying to drop another 15-20lbs and get back to a DD.

I had a breast reduction in 1999 and it was without a doubt the best decision I ever made.

I was a DD and am now a C. Recovery was difficult - long and painful. Riding now is a JOY!! I was able to successfully breastfeed 3 children post surgery. My scars have faded considerably, but I am very fair skinned.

DO. IT.

While I don't have that issue being an A...or really A-...I've had multiple friends, a cousin and one of my daughters who had reduction surgery.

Overall off the top of my head I think that comes to 7 people?

And not a single solitary one of them wasn't the happiest person ever after the surgery. And all wished they'd had it done earlier.

back problems disappearing, able to compete better in sports, able to buy a single bathing suit instead of an XXX large top and M bottom, able to have bras without 2" wide straps/6 hooks/white and industrial, no more dents in the shoulders over time, stood up straighter, clothes easier to find and fit, etc.

My daughter had hers a little over a year ago around Thanksgiving time. She recouperated here at home. (she was 28 at the time of the surgery) She went from an F to a large B. not kidding. Major reconstruction...but was out of the hospital that day. Groggy and a bit nauseous for 48 hours from anesthesia, but she said the soreness wasn't anywhere near as bad as she thought it would be and mitigated by the lack of shoulder and back pain.

She had to have hers totally rebuilt due to amount removed. On the second day when we removed the bandages so she could shower and then rewrap them...she got to see them for the first time. She stood staring in the mirror for a long while saying nothing. Then she turned to me and said with a big grin and tears in her eyes, "They're pretty. They look like normal boobs!"

She's a part time dance instructor and choreographer...for tap, jazz and hip hop. And a school counselor full time. She was back to teaching dance and hopping around in 2 weeks.

She went from a chiro appointment every 2 weeks for years pre-surgery to 2 post surgery adjustments and then done. She bought a whole new wardrobe. She's more comfortable and confident. her insurance covered every penny of it since her chiro and GP recommended it. Much cheaper for insurance to pay for one surgery than years of big boob related bills.

Same thing for my cousin and friends.

Get it done. Start the process of getting your GP to recommend it and schedule it. It's come a long way with the right surgeons and 2 weeks recovery is nothing compared to a lifetime of discomfort.

FWIW...my daughter and my cousin both had a lot of cutting and reshaping done and even "nipple relocation." Lots removed. 2 weeks recovery, on mostly tylenol for soreness and that was bearable. And both went from enormous pendulous breasts to Playboy looking perfection. Not a scar to be seen on either one. They do interior stitches now and place the rest of the cutting in the crease under the new breast. Either could go topless and you'd never know they had major reconstruction surgery done.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

Girl, just because Mother Nature gave them to you doesn't mean you have to keep them. Hack them off. be comfortable. You have to live in your own skin 24 hours. Do what you want and live it up.
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

Am I the only person with a large rack that doesn't want to chop them off? Once I found properly fitted bras (they are none are white, have 6 hooks, or appear industrial), it changed my life. Now I am much more comfortable with them.

That and apparently I was the genetic lottery because when they are bare, they are nothing short of spectacular.

I would like to decrease the size slightly, but I do not want to undergo a serious surgery when I can do some of it myself by working out. It is good motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by JustABay View Post
    . In fact, they've grown. I'm starting to feel like a freak, I hate the way I look and I hate the leers and stares I get. It's gross.

I'm a 34 E, up from a 36 DD last year.

Any advice?
    Oh poor you. Your post makes me really sad. I too, am cursed with some gigantic tatas, but I still feel pretty most of the time. Think about working on some of your self-image.....not that you shouldn't get the reduction and not that it shouldn't make you feel better.....but everyone always expresses concern with the girls who WANT boobs because they "don't feel pretty" and it should apply to the opposite situation as well. (Not that going up OR down is bad or indicative of a major issue. Both are fine. Just take a careful peek at some of the surrounding feelings.)

And they're not getting bigger. Your cup size has only gone up because the fat from around the band and the breasts is melting away, letting the "true boob" () appear. Wear-as before everything just kinda blended. They're just more emphasized!

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    Get a pro bra fitting. Not all bras fit the same. Keep on working out. 36DD to a 34E is not them getting larger, it is just your band size getting smaller.

How tall are you? I am 5'4, currently 142lbs, and a 36G.

I love my Wacoals, as they fit the best. You have to try all different brands, and styles.

It used to affect my riding til I got a proper sports bra. Thank goodness for the Anita bra, as I can finally put my shoulders back.

As far as clothes, different body types fit better in certain cuts of clothing. Work the best one for your body, and don't be afraid to utilize a tailor.

I am trying to drop another 15-20lbs and get back to a DD.
    I am going to agree with this, but only to a point. Yes, a good bra does make all the difference in the world. Try http://www.figleaves.com. Apparently Europeans understand that not all girls fit the Victoria's Secret "ideal 34C" bra-size, and make ALL sorts of band/cup combinations! Figleaves helps to connect you with all those random European companies. Billions of bras, all in one spot!

But after a point....big boobs are big boobs and they are HEAVY and there is no way around that, super support system or no! I have excellent, comfortable bras but I still have back issues that have me thinking about a reduction as well.

To actually respond with my own experience:

I'm 5'2'', 110lbs, and I wear a 30E (a DDD in American sizes) to a 30F bra. (Or a 32 on the tightest hooks.) I would easily dip below 100lbs if I didn't have my gigantic boobs, and still be perfectly healthy...I'm just a petite person.

I get what you mean about it being hard to find clothes, mainly because of the "inadvertant slut factor," as my boyfriend has dubbed it. I can manage to make even a chunky wool turtleneck look obscene, and let's forget about t-shirts. It can be annoying, I have to shop very carefully and be aware of what works on my body. If I find a shirt that I look cute in that doesn't give everyone a full peep show, I buy one in each color. (That being said, man the girls look good when they come out to play! And I love them!)

But...my back does hurt. I am terribly clumsy and I feel like much of that is because I'm just physically top-heavy and off-balance cause of my giant boobs. So the second they start sagging (I'm only in my 20's) they are getting chopped off. I'm anticipating getting it done before 30.

I too know MANY people who have gotten reductions, and like MistyBlue's friends, NO ONE wished they HADN'T done it. Many of the older women were just THRILLED because while the doctors were in there anyway, they got a little "lift" and "perk," and felt super!

For insurance reasons--if you start going to the doctor now, and complain about back issues, when you go to your insurance you can point to this "history" of back issues and most likely the reduction will be fully covered. Insurance companies are pretty hip to the fact that big boobs are a liability when it comes to further health issues! Not just back issues, but cancer is harder to detect both at home and in the doctor's office in larger breasts.

DO IT! And then report back with your glowing report, to give the rest of us surgery-sissies some extra confidence while marching into the operating room!

AliCat- You are lucky! I can't remember ever liking mine! I'm 6'0, and have tried pretty much every bra out there. I think the assumption is that if you have large boobs, you're large around, so many of them do not come in a 34 band width, most start at 38, or rarely, 36. I'm fairly fit for my height, 160lbs at 6', and I wear a 30/31 in jeans

I'm buying bras at $120+ CDN a piece, which is really killing my finances, since I need 2-3 bras for daily use, plus 2-3 for working out, since I work out 5x+ per week, and ride a few times per week as well. I sweat pretty hard riding and at the gym, so I don't like to wear the same bra to both if I'm doing both in one day.

I have been looking in to surgery, but with my school schedule, I'd have to wait at least another year until I graduate. I just feel like I'm trapped in my body, and no matter how much I work out, they don't get any smaller. Argh I hate them.

ETA: GoForAGallop-OMG, I feel your pain. I can't wear anything too tight, or I look like I'm selling it. Th BF loves when I get all dressed up, but man, day to day clothes are hard to find. The new trend of baggy, giant flowy tops make me look pregnant, but at least I don`t look cheap. Maybe we should be shopping buddies LOL

AliCat- You are lucky! I can't remember ever liking mine! I'm 6'0, and have tried pretty much every bra out there. I think the assumption is that if you have large boobs, you're large around, so many of them do not come in a 34 band width, most start at 38, or rarely, 36. I'm fairly fit for my height, 160lbs at 6', and I wear a 30/31 in jeans

I'm buying bras at $120+ CDN a piece, which is really killing my finances, since I need 2-3 bras for daily use, plus 2-3 for working out, since I work out 5x+ per week, and ride a few times per week as well. I sweat pretty hard riding and at the gym, so I don't like to wear the same bra to both if I'm doing both in one day.

I have been looking in to surgery, but with my school schedule, I'd have to wait at least another year until I graduate. I just feel like I'm trapped in my body, and no matter how much I work out, they don't get any smaller. Argh I hate them.
    Obviously you are not shopping in the right places if you can't find smaller bands in larger cup sizes.

A link for you:

http://www.lindasonline.com/

You can also find bigger sizes in major dept stores that carry Wacoal. I know Macy's does, and I am fairly certain Nordstrom does as well.

Oh please please please check out http://www.figleaves.com if you missed the link in my (rather alarmingly! Wow I ramble!) post above. They understand that girls with big boobs can need small bands, and pretty bras to boot! There are more expensive bras, but I usually get away with spending about $30 on mine, between sales/generally less inexpensive brands.

PLUS, the truly epic part is that there are reviews on almost every bra. The reviews have saved my butt more times than I can count!

Thanks for the links guys! I will definitely be checking them out!

I am lucky to have local stores to go and try most of these brands on in person. Just beware that many of the brands fit differently, and can very by style. Don't get discouraged if you get one and it isn't perfect.

I don't like that that website translates my US size to 36I

If you aren't happy, then by all means, look into getting them done. I am 5'4, 112 lbs, and got implants to bring myself to a 34C. I'm age 37, I've had two kids, and without implants I'd be a 34 AA-.

My mother is 64. Last month she had a reduction--she has ALWAYS been very top-heavy and has felt uncomfortable with it. She has had those painful divots in her shoulders from her bra, and it's made me sad for her. So, she is happy with her reduction and good for her.

My point is...as women, we all are made differently, and you must do what works for your body, and by all means, do what makes you happy! Best wishes to you!

"And they're not getting bigger. Your cup size has only gone up because the fat from around the band and the breasts is melting away, letting the "true boob" () appear. Wear-as before everything just kinda blended. They're just more emphasized!"

*like"

The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    "And they're not getting bigger. Your cup size has only gone up because the fat from around the band and the breasts is melting away, letting the "true boob" () appear. Wear-as before everything just kinda blended. They're just more emphasized!"

*like"

Ha, thanks! But your quoting made me realize I spelled "where as" the way a mentally challenged fifth-grader would.

-sigh- Time for bed, for sure! I just always miss the threads that end up getting locked down everytime I step away from Off Topic Day!

Had mine reduced in 1996. Best $20 co-pay ever! Girl, be rid of them. It hurt not at all - couldn't ride for 6-8 weeks, but WTF-ever, they're mine and they're spectacular.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Whether or not you decide on surgery, you can, in the meantime, find good bras for way less than $150 at herroom.com and biggerbras.com

Fantasie, Panache, Freya and Prima Donna are brands that provide excellent support. If your shoulders are hurting, it means your band size is too large. The straps should NEVER be a source of support for the "girls". If the band size is correct, you should get the same support whether the straps are on your shoulders or are pulled down. The bottom of the band itself should be even with the bottom of your boobs and not hiked up in the back.

If you have a properly fitting bra, you will not have sore shoulders or a sore back. I wear a cup size J and don't have those issues.

Now finding clothes that fit - that's another story. I am looking at reduction surgery but I first want to lose some weight and save up some funds for my portion of the surgery.

When I was a senior in highschool, I weighed 90lbs and had double D breasts.

I got them reduced to a small C that year. It was a difficult recovery and painful, but WELL worth it.

My breasts look "normal" now, even with the scarring, which has begun to really fade. (I had it done in 2004.) Even my boyfriend at the time (now husband) was surprised at the excellent job I had done and how much better I looked (and felt.)

Before, strenuous activity was practically torture. It caused curvature of the spine, because of how early and large my breasts were.

Now, I don't even NEED a bra! I love it! After going through two pregnancies, they "deflated" a little, and I wouldn't mind getting them fluffed back up, so to speak, but it doesn't bother me and I'm MUCH happier now.