The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ASPCA commercial

I'm so sick of this commercial.

"Blondie - abandoned and dying of a broken heart". blah, blah, blah... sickening.

Emotional blackmail for those who are susceptible.

I hate it too! I quickly change the channel. The sappy song and the depressing pix make my heart sad, and I just choose to not put myself through it.

not to mention they are lacking the little disclaimer that they are LOCAL and not national!
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

I can't watch it but not because I'm sick of it. What I am sick of is the fact that I can't help all of those animals that are stuck at the ASPCA and other pounds.

Okay. I do donate to the ASPCA. Told them I DID NOT want the t-shirt - save the costs and put it towards the animals. Amazingly enough, they paid attention. (Or were out of shirts).

But I'd give to the Hitler Youth before HSUS saw a dime of my money.

Someone please tell me if I'm way off base here.

It's a very sad commercial, but if it encourages one person to adopt a pound pet, I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Okay. I do donate to the ASPCA. Told them I DID NOT want the t-shirt - save the costs and put it towards the animals. Amazingly enough, they paid attention. (Or were out of shirts).

I have heard others make offhand remarks about HSUS. Am I missing something? I haven't heard any bad stories...yet.

Quote Originally Posted by alg0181 View Post
    I have heard others make offhand remarks about HSUS. Am I missing something? I haven't heard any bad stories...yet.
    "One generation and out - we have no problem with the extinction of all domestic animals."

HSUS used the name HSUS so people think they are connected to the local humane society. They are NOT. They lobby to eliminate animal ownership, commercial or hobby breeding, and many other things. Sure, there are a few reasonable things they try to do, but most of it is extremist. They would love for us to not own or use horses. If you want to donate to help animals in need, donate supplies to your local shelter.

You are absolutely correct. HSUS is nothing more than PETA with a different name. And, Wayne Pacelle, the head of HSUS was recently heard to say he thought it was OK for Michael Vick to own a dog again.

Check out Humane Watch...the HSUS watchdog group.

I am all for donating to local shelters. Most need beds, blankets, etc. as well as food.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    It's a very sad commercial, but if it encourages one person to adopt a pound pet, I'm all for it.
    I agree in theory but I just can't stand the overemotional stuff.

What bothers me most about the commercial is that people think the ASPCA directly helps their local animals. No where in the commercial are the words "New York City" ever stated. They allow people to believe they are a parent organization to your local shelter, which is not true.

I am inclined to think that for every person who adopts an animal or contributes to the ASPCA because of this commercial, a number of potential contributers are turned off by it. I won't watch it, and everyone I have asked about it feels the same way. This commercial is filled with things that turn me off of supporting an organization.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by debsinsb View Post
    You are absolutely correct. HSUS is nothing more than PETA with a different name. And, Wayne Pacelle, the head of HSUS was recently heard to say he thought it was OK for Michael Vick to own a dog again.

I am all for donating to local shelters. Most need beds, blankets, etc. as well as food.

I think that's what I'll do for the upcoming year. Our local humane society is, sadly, a kill shelter, though they have vastly improved the adoption rate since control was transferred to an outside group. Not sure about donating there.
    Perhaps some research is in order for the New Year. . .

I am not really bothered by the commercial, but it doesn't really move me because there are so many wonderful local organizations in my area that I prefer to support them when I can donate. It really is amazing what is out there to donate to. There are some really nice small local shelters as well as low-cost spay and neuter programs and outreach.
    And on the HSUS, a lot of people feel that their ultimate goal is to eliminate animal ownership. I am not a breeder (though I have purchased dogs from responsible breeders), but anytime someone is against breeding of all types it does make me a little nervous because if there was no breeding, we would eventually run out of dogs and cats.

I think that you're right on base, and compassionate but wise. I agree.

I contacted him about a statement he and his staff have made regarding shelter animals. They were touted to have said that the shelters should euth more animals to keep the labor costs down and the shelters looking better and keep empty cages. I was listening to a well known animal welfare attorney and activist speak and he told us this. Pacelle did not comment on what he said in his reply but boy was he mad, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by debsinsb View Post

I think that's what I'll do for the upcoming year. Our local humane society is, sadly, a kill shelter, though they have vastly improved the adoption rate since control was transferred to an outside group. Not sure about donating there.
    Perhaps some research is in order for the New Year. . .
    If your local shelter was not open admission (what "no kill" groups like to call "kill"), where would all the animals go? No kill shelters (more appropriately called limited admission) are able to achieve no euthanasia by limiting the quantity or quality of animals that come their way. Either by not taking strays, charging really high surrender fees, or closing their doors when they are full, sending animals elsewhere. There is no shelter that takes all animals that does not need to euthanize.

The semantics are getting in the way of helping animals.

Kudos to your shelter for increasing their adoption rate!

The one that pisses me off the most is the newer one where there is a fluffy fat white cat which clearly has feline herpes virus of the ocular variety and the caption "why did they hurt me so bad" or something of the sort.

WTF?!!! Ocular herpes is so common in cats, it's not like people gave the cat herpes on purpose.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Actually they do give grants to help animals outside of NYC. So though they are based locally, if you apply and they have the funds they will share. I thought everyone knew that. They will help equines as well as small animals, not sure if it's for any particular type of animal. I'm sure they have a criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by BLBGP View Post
    What bothers me most about the commercial is that people think the ASPCA directly helps their local animals. No where in the commercial are the words "New York City" ever stated. They allow people to believe they are a parent organization to your local shelter, which is not true.