The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Do you name your cars?

We do in my family.

Friends of mine have gone so far as to "learn" their car's sexual preference (you can't just go slapping "gay" or "straight" on a body.)

I think any *being* with whom you have such a long and intimate relationship as a car clearly needs a name.... and whatever else you'd add.

Introduce to your cars-- past or present!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

My car is named Lexie (I wasn't very creative when I thought that one up). But, it was a surprise birthday present and everytime I go to visit my mom she tells me to thank Lexie for taking such good care of me!

Lexie is a 2010 Lexus IS and the ultimate girl car! I l-o-v-e her!

We had been car shopping for awhile and test drove Lexus'. But, I didn't think that I'd actually get one (this was during the December to Remember event). So, I just kind of brushed it off and literally dreamt about that car! Everytime I saw one on the road I just stared and drooled. Well, shortly before my birthday I was called to come down for a visit because there was a nice used Volvo that would be perfect for me and my dogs. I was excited, test drove it, and parked it in the garage. (Mom's cousin (they're super close) is married to a big big car dealer). They told me we'd do all of the paperwork in the morning and I could head back up to school. Awesome, right?

Well, in the morning my mom asked me to go into the garage because she wanted a Dr. Pepper. I kept thinking...you don't drink Dr. Pepper in the morning but whatever. I opened the door to see Lexie sitting in the garage where the Volvo was!!!! I was ecstatic!

^^Wow, writing that made me excited all over again! What an awesome memory!

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

First car: Chiquita, a '99 Toyota Corolla

Second car: Roo, an '05 Subaru Forester

Third car: Gus, a '10 Toyota Prius

DH's old truck: Bert, an '04 Toyota Tacoma (the big red truck)
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Last year I lived with four other girls and we all named our cars.

There was my car, Lil Lem because it's a lemon POS.

Mika, the little silver Pontiac.

Hot Lips, the red RX8.

Bertha, the ancient pickup.

And Gil, the blue saturn.

Yes, but all of my own cars have had the same name--Hedwig. I've driven a series of big, boat-like white cars (Ford Taurus, Subaru station wagon, etc.)

Oh gosh, yes.

First Car: red Ford Taurus, "The Sketchmobile"
    Second Car: gold Ford Taurus, "The Battlewagon"
    Third Car: white Ford Explorer, "Eddie the Explorer"
    Current Car: red Nissan Sentra, "The Red Robin"
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

First car was named Maude. None named since. (You never forget your first.)
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

Default yes!

I have had Hector Datsun-- F10.
    Vader-- as in Darth-- black VW GTI,
    Pug the charcoal grey 1974 International pickup truck,
    followed by Clyde the Ford F150, Tank the Explorer and currently Ferdinand the Ford-- F250 Bright red.
    Trying to find him a decal of Ferdinand the bull for his tail gate.

My old CUCV pickup is 'Godzuki' because it's the baby brother of our M35A2, 'Godzilla'. DH's CUCV Blazer is 'ATAS', short for "All Tactical And Stuff".

The Suburban is just "The Burb", and our classic mustang convertible hasn't been in the family long enough yet to get christened with a name.

1st - '87 K-5 Blazer - Betsy the cow blazer
    2nd - '93 Chevy 2500 - Betsy the truck
    3rd - '98 Jeep Wrangler - Jeepy Jeep
    4th - '07 Chevy Colorado - Betsy
    5th - '09 Chevy Silverado - Betsy

Motorcycles:
    '07 Boulevard S40 - Thumper (big single cylinder)
    '08 Boulevard S50 - evil bike (POS!!!)
    '09 V-Star 1100 - no name yet, brand new!!!

Some yes over the years. The kitty car, our first VW bug, a '59 model. I was little and the valves ringing sounded so different that I named it after a cat purring.

Long time later after I married was Betsey the '68 VW Squareback, reliable but not flashy, then the Green Machine which was the '77 F250 gorgeous two tone green with sunroofs and a 460. It was soooo nice, our first nice vehicle. It superseded the rusted out '73F250 which was the Green Beast. We had a few no name cars and then I inherited Charlotte Camry, an '84 and we bought a '79 F350 flatbed dually, which was Buzzy Bee Truck. Now the truck is a '97 F250 which is called The Bull or The Big Truck, the car and the little truck are called by the model name and of course the Beastly Stock trailer.
    We were into boats for a long time so you kind of get used to calling inanimate objects by a name.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

My first car was a 1977 Chevy Impala. A total hooptie. Her name was Penelope. As if Penelope wasn't a weird enough name for a car, I had to make sure it was even weirder by pronouncing it Pen-a-lope, like loping a western horse.

My current car is named Elmo. I even have a tiny stuffed Elmo in the back window. He was dubbed Elmo because he is little and red. Someday, if I ever get a big red pickup truck, I will name him Clifford.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

I didn't name my first car, but my last car was Joey the Jeep. I got a Tahoe in August and I'm still trying to figure out if its male or female before I can pick out a name. Right now we call it "The Hoe." so its name might be Bubbles or something along those lines.
    A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

Quote Originally Posted by see u at x View Post
    Her name was Penelope. As if Penelope wasn't a weird enough name for a car, I had to make sure it was even weirder by pronouncing it Pen-a-lope, like loping a western horse.
    We have a guinea that lived here when we bought the farm. I named her Penelope and pronounce it like that as well! (Well, Peen-a-lope). Everyone thinks I'm nuts and I'm ok with it.
    A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

My second Eddie Bauer Explorer was purple, so it became the 'Barneymobile", and the Explorer Sportrac I have now is orange so it is the 'Pumpkin'.

I had sworn I'd never name another car as it was always so sad to bid them adieu when their life was up. But, I broke down and named my new (well, he's actually old) F150 the oh so creative "Henry".

Previous to old Henry I had:

"Bug" an older Acura that had the pop-up headlights.

"Vader" an old Dodge RamCharger

My commuter car is a civic and has no name, and I do feel guilty about that sometimes.

Edited because I forgot about my very first car. A celebrity station wagon. Green. He was named "The Green Machine". Actually most of my friends referred to him as the party wagon, lots of room when the seats where down!

1st car= '82 Volvo "Santana"
    2nd car= 2001 F-150 "Sherlock"
    3rd car= 2001 Ford Focus zx3 "Spanky"
    4th car= 2003 Ford Focus zx3 "Sassy"
    5th car= 2003 Ford Focus zx5 "Simon"

My current vehicle, a 2008 Explorer Sport Trac, is unnamed. I call him the "Shmuck" because he is part SUV, park Truck.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

I didn't originally name my old car ('96 Saturn), but by the time it retired its name was Trusty Saturn. A bit of an ironic name when you consider the fact that it burned oil like nobody's business, had lots of personality quirks (like turning the windshield wipers on randomly. You want to know what awkward feels like-try having your windshield wipers on full blast on a sunny day at a red light and being totally unable to do anything about it), and ultimately had to be retired due to the transmission going out. But not in a typical way-it stopped going backwards. Only backwards. Discovered that on a busy shopping day in a Target parking lot-good thing Trusty Saturn was small and light and I could push it while it was in neutral....

My current car is Trusty Saturn's replacement: a 98 Pontiac Grand Prix named Lars. (Anyone seen the movie Heavyweights?) He's got some quirks too (like he doesn't like to give me my keys back/turn all the way off when I park him sometimes. Thanks for teaching me patience, Lars), but he's a vast improvement over Trusty Saturn because he goes forward AND backward!
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

My car is a 1991 Mercedes 500SL named Columbia, after the character from the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Needless to say, I've never tried to peg down an actual sexuality.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

My cars have always been gay men My current car is Spicey and Bluey.