The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Nice Gift Bags

Nice gift bags are really really re-useable, do you re-use them? The first time I give one out I do not even write on the little attached "gift tag". I put a card in the bag with the gift. That way, the bag can be totally used again. And then the next time it is used, the person can write on the little gift tag. After that, the little gift tag can be removed and another card put in or a little to/from sticker can be put on the bag. Heck, as long as the bag itself doesn't get damaged, you can recycle it many times... so it's green!

If I don't like you I totally get a great gift bag and then write the to/from in really large in a pretty metallic ink on the bag itself. Kind of dumb, but for some reason it makes me feel better that the person won't be able to re-use it.

Does anyone else re-use nice gift bags?

Quote Originally Posted by headsupheelsdown View Post
    Nice gift bags are really really re-useable, do you re-use them? The first time I give one out I do not even write on the little attached "gift tag". I put a card in the bag with the gift. That way, the bag can be totally used again. And then the next time it is used, the person can write on the little gift tag. After that, the little gift tag can be removed and another card put in or a little to/from sticker can be put on the bag. Heck, as long as the bag itself doesn't get damaged, you can recycle it many times... so it's green!

If I don't like you I totally get a great gift bag and then write the to/from in really large in a pretty metallic ink on the bag itself. Kind of dumb, but for some reason it makes me feel better that the person won't be able to re-use it.

Does anyone else re-use nice gift bags?
    I will reuse them.

The real question is why you buy gifts for people you dont like?

All the time. I never write on the tags either. I think some Christmas bags have been passed around my family for years!

Oh, sometimes there are the obligatory gifts you have to buy...

I am sure most people have to buy gifts for people they do not care for at some point (family/co-workers)? Don't you think? Sometimes you could just be miffed at someone temporarily...

In that case, I wait until they have opened the gift, then take the bag back. Win-win.

If I can find a cute or semi-cute cloth grocery type bag, I've been using those. One of last year's was really cute for the couple I was gifting - large with loops for bottles and had cats with Santa hats on it since they have 4 cats. Once the gifts were out, it could be reused as a grocery bag.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Sure I re-use. I like to think it helps save the planet even in a very small way. On the bag my friend wrote "from xxx" on - I even gave it back to her so she could use it again and she did If the tag is written on, I pull the tag off and re-use the bag. All our neighbors do this so I've seen the same bags go around the neighborhood a few times.

I reuse for years. My kids and I were laughing on Christmas eve about one bag that had been around for years and years. It got a tear in it this year but we're taping it up. It's become one of our Christmas traditions.

Dollar Tree has great gift bags and at only a $1, it's not horrible if you can't reuse them (although I always try).
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Reuse. I read someplace that gift bags were environmentally better than wrapping if they got reused. You can write on the tag in pencil. Also recycle boxes to some extent. My mom has boxes from department stores that no longer exist.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Reuse. I have a huge selection of birthday, Christmas, and wedding gift bags and boxes in my closet. I just don't see the point in throwing away something that isn't worn, torn, or broken. If I can't use it, I can always find someone who can.
    Jer 29: 11-13