The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I'm allergic to my horse, among other things! :-(

Looking for any advice possible. Long story short, I have dry eyes and allergies that affect my eyes the most (red, itchy, miserable). I got allergy tested and am allergic to: mold, dust, dustmites, FARM ANIMALS!, trees, ragweed.

Does anybody have any advice? I'm on an allergy eyedrop, wear goggles around the horses and look like an idiot) and am taking as many precautions with my environment (filters, bed covers, sinus cleansing, yada yada) but it's still BAD!

Help!!!

Okay, you CAN live with this. I am 65 and had childhood onset asthma. If it has fur or feathers I am allergic. I have spent my life since I was 9 with horses, cats and dogs in my life. Get the shots that help you not be as sensitive to things. Do everything you can to reduce the stuff you DO NOT want - dust, mold, pollen, etc. All of the environment stuff is important. Take meds, too. And hang in there. Horses are worth it.

Allergy Shots! Saved my life, and not kidding. I have severe food, environmental and animal allergies as well as COPD and Asthma. I also grew up on a farm with a ton of animals, and work with horses and ride 7x a week. During the worst times I use a face mask, I avoid working with hay at all costs, take my meds religiously, did the allergy shots (and WOW that has been a blessing), and have a wonderful doctor who understands that the animal part of my life isn't going to change and is completely in on the plan to manage me appropriately.

I'm 47 and allergic to animals too. Horses/mules and mice are my worst symptom-causing critters. But, cats and dogs are close behind. I've never given myself a break from animal ownership so I guess I suspect that I have eventually become immune to the dander on each of my specific pets. I notice that when I go to someone else's home I get a quick allergic reaction to their animals even though my own no longer seem to bother me too much. That being said, try different types of allergy meds. I use Loratadine (generic drug of one of the big name allery pills) and it works very well for me. I get it very cheap at Sam's Club. My husband is also allergic to hay but Loratadine doesn't even come close to controlling it. He uses another generic brand. So, what I'm saying is try all the cheap pills first before trying the expensive prescription ones.

Staying away from hay is a big help to my asthma. I now feed round bales and only have to touch it once a week. I got the allergy shots for many years as a child. Big help!

Good luck. Try those

Before you go do anything else... get tested for common food... I was tested for allergies and came back positive for 52 things out of 56!!! Horses being one of them for sure...

If I take gluten, dairy, aspartame, soy and sugar out of my diet, I'm 100% fine.

Worth looking into...
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

See if wearing gloves/barn specific clothes helps.

I wear gloves 100% of the time around them and my red eyes and respiratory issues are pretty much gone. Take the gloves off right before you exit the barn (don't pack them in your car or touch your steering wheel with them) and absolutely do not touch your face while wearing them! Strip your clothes off in the garage, immediately shower, and do not store them with other clothes. It makes a big difference.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Movin Artfully View Post
    See if wearing gloves/barn specific clothes helps.

I wear gloves 100% of the time around them and my red eyes and respiratory issues are pretty much gone. Take the gloves off right before you exit the barn (don't pack them in your car or touch your steering wheel with them) and absolutely do not touch your face while wearing them! Strip your clothes off in the garage, immediately shower, and do not store them with other clothes. It makes a big difference.

Good luck!
    I second all of that--seems silly, but it will make a big difference. I also have pet allergies that primarily affect my eyes, which is miserable. I finally went to a fantastic allergist, who has a theory that you need to use a corticosteroid in combination with antihistamines to "fix" allergies. He actually puts new patients on a five day dose of cortisone, then on two nasal sprays - Nasonex and Astelin in my case. I had tried antihistamines for years with no relief, but adding the steroid made a HUGE (as in life-altering) difference.