The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 2 wheel cart in a trailer

Thinking of options for a gooseneck trailer that allows a cart to be loaded. When you have a 3 horse slant load does the cart go in the first stalls (toward the front of the trailer) or in the back?
    Thanks

My trailer when I first got into driving was a 3 horse slant. I would load one or two horses and the cart would ride in the last slot with the shafts up and over the back door where there was a gap. Worked well until I got into needing a 4 wheel vehicle. Time for a new trailer.

What trailer did you end up with?
    Unless I get another trailer I will be putting the cart in the back of my truck.
    If I end up buying a different trailer , I want it to be the last time I need to do that.

I recently had a hay rack added which is where I will put my cart. When I finally get my cart.
    I have two matching white medicine hat mares, mother and daughter. I really want to learn to drive them as a team, I think they will be striking together!

Well, I have gone thru several trailers trying to find the perfect configuration that works for me. I show CDE which means that I need a big enough trailer to load a 4 wheel marathon vehicle, 4 wheel presentation vehicle, and a 4 wheel ATV in addition to the one horse. A 24' gooseneck is the absolute minimum for that. One of my favorite trailers which worked wonderfully for one vehicle was a 20' gooseneck with a side ramp and a winch. I could load the marathon vehicle in the front up the side ramp and the horse in its own stall at the back.

I'm new here, but I have gone through several trailers and have finally ended up with a 4 horse head to head. I drive a pair of Haflingers or Gypsies (new pair) in driving trials. I load up the gee gees in the front stalls with the side ramp, the golf cart in the middle and my marathon carriage gets winched into the back.
    Horse Feathers Farm

I have a 3 horse slant with LQ so the only way mine will work is to put the horse in 1st and the cart sits at the back with the shafts up over the horse. If your slant was a stock type then you could probably put the cart in 1st with the shafts in the gooseneck.

Default cheaper than a new trailer

There was a long thread on this--

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=239832

i have used a variety of methods--

ramps attached to the back door which the cart went up on and was secured.

A tray rather like the ones you see on the back of SUVs going to football games with all the coolers attached (this was the most problematic one as the thing flexed and the cart would also bump off of it when the road was bumpy, never came off as it was secured with multiple straps)

in side my stock trailer with shafts over the horses head

and finally my last and most efficient one. Described in the thread.

Check out http://pets.webshots.com/album/574921205zKKiNo

This last one can be taken off and put on different trailers. I have a friend who has one and she put it on her LQ when they camp or her BP when she day rides.

I dont know how on earth you guys can fit your two wheel cart in the last stall of your 3 slant. Mine for my mini (which is a little on the larger side of easy entry carts in mini size) still takes two stalls with the shafts up and over the back door! Maybe my stalls are narrower. I need about 6" wider stalls to only take up one stall.

I want a 4h head to head. I've been looking at different designs lately. Its on my shopping list for next year as my present trailer is just not cutting it anymore. Will be nice to load a cart/carriage/golf cart in there with a pair of horses/ponies. I've always thought they hauled better straight than sideways anyway. However, my present truck cant handle that big of a trailer, so i dont know what the heck i'm going to do. Present truck is paid for, i sure as heck dont want another payment plus new trailer!!! So i'm still looking at different makers and seeing what i can get custom in a weight my truck can still handle loaded with what i want to load.

It's a real pain in the rear! Right now though, my cart loads in the truck bed. Also a pain in the rear, but at least it's not a real heavy one, my husband and i can load it over the side without unhitching. I've looked at making a rack for the back door like Cartfall has posted here before. If i cant get a new trailer next year, that will likely be the route i'll go for the here and now.

Thanks for all the responses. I also like a straight load trailer, my boy seems to like it. I have been looking at 2+1 trailers with a side ramp (used), but there doesn't seem to be a lot of them out there. The front box stall would work nicely for camping. Checking ads, there does seem to be more nice quality 3 horse slants. If that would work, I didn't want to pass on that option.

It is safer if for the rack to be on the outside that way in an emergency you don't have to deal with the rack. This is what we use when we go with our neighbor when she buggy's. We have made them for several people. If you can't find one in your area let me know. www.metalartfla.Web.officelive.com
    Thanks Susanne

Cartfall
    Glad you are still enjoying your rack. Have a great new years.
    Susanne and Kerry
    www.metalartfla.Web.officelive.com

Have a 2 + 1 with living quarters. The beastie goes up front in the slant , and when I take the partitions out in the straightload part, have plenty of room for both the two wheel and four wheel carriages. Plus a small atv.

Quote Originally Posted by Susanne and Kerry View Post
    Cartfall
    Glad you are still enjoying your rack. Have a great new years.
    Susanne and Kerry
    www.metalartfla.Web.officelive.com
    Right back at ya. Hope all is well in your home. Hubby is whining he wants to come back and play in Kerry's shop!!!