The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you recycle grain and bedding bags?

A lot of the plastic grain and bedding bags are now marked with the recyclable symbol, but my local center specifically excludes feed and animal bedding bags. Has anyone else found this? Where do you recycle them? I have always re-used them, but then they wind up in the landfill anyway. Any other ideas?

Mary Ellen
    Rochester, NY
    Mary Ellen

Proud owner of Buck (QH/Florida Cracker horse), Rusty (Arab cross), and Viggo (Mini-donkey)

1 members found this post helpful.

Is using them for trash bags recycling?

They fit our trash can like a glove, so they are used in place of plastic trash bags.

I wish. Just because they could be recycled doesn't mean every recycling center is able to take them. I especially dislike using Nutrena feeds because they are plastic bags versus Triple Crown (although, I know, there is a plastic-y lining thing in the TC bags). Between feed bags and baling twine I feel like an environmental loser.

(I use mine as garbage bags in the barn too, but go through more feed than I produce garbage, so it doesn't make me feel much better).

I clean them up and make them into tote bags.

Any of my paper feed bags get filled with un-sorted recyclables, and then the whole bag gets taken to the recycle center and tossed in the bin. Makes life a lot easier - the bags stay standing up, and I can set them in the car - truck - van and they stay upright all the way to the recycle center. The recycle center ONLY allows paper bags to be used this way, and if there is a question, the employee will try to rip the bag. If it rips like newspaper, it is okay. If it rips like newspaper + Saran wrap, it cannot be put in the recycle bin.

My recycle center also does not allow plastic feed bags to be recycled. I've used a few here and there for various projects, but I never have enough uses for all of them. They end up in the trash dumpster.

I recycle mine. There are no attendants at our transfer station recycling bins, so hopefully they all end up recycled! Our county has a very wide range of things that can be recycled and no longer requires you to sort them by type. I'm sure the plastic bedding/dog food bags are getting recycled. I'm not as sure about the paper feed bags with the linings.

Quote Originally Posted by atlatl View Post
    I clean them up and make them into tote bags.
    I just returned from Cambodia, where they make fabulous tote bags/clutches/backpacks/wallets etc out of 'Elephant Brand' cement bags- SO cute. Kicking myself that I didn't buy more!

Another volunteer at the rescue makes the totes, but also made some ADORABLE aprons and other items as well
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

I've fought with our local recyclers to no avail. I even got with my feed store to see if they would set up a bin or something. Nothing. I have, however, used my paper-type feed bags to put a layer between the ground and my mulch in a huge new flower bed. Makes a great barrier that eventually breaks down.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Mango20 View Post
    I recycle mine. There are no attendants at our transfer station recycling bins, so hopefully they all end up recycled! Our county has a very wide range of things that can be recycled and no longer requires you to sort them by type. I'm sure the plastic bedding/dog food bags are getting recycled. I'm not as sure about the paper feed bags with the linings.
    Why are you sure? These aren't accepted everywhere. I'm pretty sure my recycling company will NOT accept them and we have single stream recycling. I wouldn't be surprised if they get sorted back into the trash.

I'm going to see if I can find out for sure for my county. I am betting that neither feed bags nor bedding bags are accepted.

ETA: My recycling company -

Acceptable
    PLASTIC: Containers - #1 - #7, Milk Jugs, Soda, Water, Juice, Bleach, Detergent, Shampoo and Cooking Oil Bottles.

Unacceptable: -Foam Packaging, Styrofoam, Plastic Bags

Curious what # feed bags etc. are labeled - does anyone know? I'll check my plastic bedding bags when I go to my barn shortly, but I don't recall them being labeled as recyclable.

They are not recyclable here via the transfer station, but I reuse them as much as I can for trashbags and temporary mini tarps. I've been wanting to make some tote bags but haven't gotten to it.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I use both paper & plastic or plastic-lined bags as a weed barrier in my veggie garden.

In the Spring I till up last year's stuff, put down bags & top with composted manure.

The paper bags last a year, plastic-lined or all plastic last for yearZ.

S1969:
    I have the same problem with baling twine, whether it's plastic or old-fashioned twine.
    There was a thread on here some time ago from someone claiming the hayguy recycled it, but neither of mine is interested in getting any type of twine back.
    I use as much as I can for various stuff, but the greater part ends up in the trash.
    At least my current hayguys use the old stuff so it will eventually decompose.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

our city's recycling program not only takes the grain and shavings bags but also hay twine

Mine go out with the regular paper recycling -- at least they pick it up.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

The farm store chain in our area takes feed bags ( plastic ones) and bailing twine, too! I save them up and take them in all at once. My pelleted bedding bags can go in the grocery store bag recycling bins, but I also fill them up with composted bedding for my town/non- truck owning poo customers.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    Why are you sure? These aren't accepted everywhere. I'm pretty sure my recycling company will NOT accept them and we have single stream recycling. I wouldn't be surprised if they get sorted back into the trash.
    I'm sure (from the county website):

NOTE: This video was made prior to the facility's ability to recycle plastic bags. Plastic bags are now recyclable. Please bundle your bags (bags inside of bags) for more efficient processing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mango20 View Post
    I'm sure (from the county website):

NOTE: This video was made prior to the facility's ability to recycle plastic bags. Plastic bags are now recyclable. Please bundle your bags (bags inside of bags) for more efficient processing.
    Ah, you are so lucky. I thought maybe you were just hoping, because they weren't specifically excluded.

My general contractor just shoves everything made of anything synthetic in the recycling bin and figures it will be recycled because it's "plastic". Styrofoam, plastic bags, sawed off pieces of PVC pipe, etc. "Well, it doesn't SAY you can't put PVC into the recycling bin...and it's plastic, so I'm sure it gets recycled."

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    I use both paper & plastic or plastic-lined bags as a weed barrier in my veggie garden.

In the Spring I till up last year's stuff, put down bags & top with composted manure.

The paper bags last a year, plastic-lined or all plastic last for yearZ.
    What a great idea! I am going to do this next year. Thank you!

I have always had difficulties storing hay for the winter as my storage area is dirt floor. Moisture comes up through the pallets and ruins the bottom layer of hay every year. So last year I put thick black plastic down over the dirt, then put old feed bags )cut open) over the plastic, then put pallets on top, then another layer of feed bags, THEN I put my hay down. I did not lose any hay!

The feed bags are a great moisture block but they allow air to flow through. It isn't officially recycling, but it is reuse!

I save mine for the people who pick up compost from me and don't have a truck.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I save the plastic bedding bags and use them as poop bags for when I scoop my litter boxes and fir pooper scooping the yard.
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck