The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Permanent make-up?

I am seriously considering permanent eye liner. I've never been any good at self application, but I love the way it looks when it's done right, so I'm thinking it's time to make it permanent. Considering lip color also.

Experiences?
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

If you ever watch Say Yes to the Dress, my understanding is the lady with the pony tail and the hideous lip liner did this and you can see how it turned out. The problem is that if the person who is doing the procedure goofs then you have to live with it forever. I would think long and hard before doing something that might not be exactly what you want, and you will have to live with almost forever. My understanding is that the permanent part isn't, because it fades with time.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Curb Appeal View Post
    I am seriously considering permanent eye liner. I've never been any good at self application, but I love the way it looks when it's done right, so I'm thinking it's time to make it permanent. Considering lip color also.

Experiences?
    I had it done for my thin eyebrows, TWICE! Very,very painful and never lasted for very long..... For the money I spent, I could have bought enough eyebrow powder to last a lifetime!!!! What a waste!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    If you ever watch Say Yes to the Dress, my understanding is the lady with the pony tail and the hideous lip liner did this and you can see how it turned out. The problem is that if the person who is doing the procedure goofs then you have to live with it forever. I would think long and hard before doing something that might not be exactly what you want, and you will have to live with almost forever. My understanding is that the permanent part isn't, because it fades with time.

I've already got 8 tattoos, so I certainly understand the permanence of it, along with the need for touch-ups every few years.

I'm not looking for lip liner, but actual lip color. I usually wear a lip stain, but it doesn't last long.

I've heavily researched artists and would not go to just anyone. My aunt and her mother had their eyes done by a woman in Mississippi who did a fabulous job. If I have to travel that far to find someone I trust, I'll do that.

Anyone here actually had it done?
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

what if fashions change in a few years? what will you do then?

I have alopecia, so almost no eyelashes or eyebrows. I had permanent eyeliner done twice, and my eyebrows done twice. The eyebrows look fantastic and are so easy (I used to paint them on with makeup before so this saves a tremendous amount of time and hassle). I had them done twice b/c they fade.

First, find someone who has the same makeup sensibility as you do. I didn't want it heavy looking, so picked someone who had a light touch (look at them -- I saw two women who did it, they each had permanent makeup on themselves, with different styles).

The eyeliner did not last very long, and despite the two times, has completely disappeared now (probably lasted two years, at most). I was very uncomfortable having the needle that close to my eye, so it was an ordeal for that reason, though not painful.

I had numbing cream put on beforehand for the eyebrows (can't remember for the lids) and felt little -- mild discomfort.

I don't know that I'd go for the lips -- if you do be very very careful to get it done in a subtle way -- you can always use regular makeup to emphasize your lips if you are going to a party or something.

Look at their book of work, get references etc. My person is a nurse practitioner who does this on the side. I still checked her references!

All in all, a great experience for me.

I had my brows done a long time ago. It was done by a doctor, a cosmetic facial surgeon. I was numbed, so I felt nothing at all. I liked it a lot. Yes, it faded, but it took a long time to do so. I should have gone back for a touch up.

I am very much considering doing it again. Only lack of money stands in the way. I want to do the liner as well. I'm willing to take the risk of a mistake. I don't have alopecia, but I've lost my brows and my lashes are light with blue eyes. I look like a white dinner plate w/o eye makeup.

I know someone who had eyeliner done. Sad story short it got infected and there's permanent disfiguration.

Had permanent eyeliner upper and lower lids. Loved the look... but it only lasted about 2 years. Not worth the cost for only two years in my opinion... and more nervous now that I've had the needle that close to my eye and know what I'd be in for to have it redone...

My mother had it done about 13 years ago. She had it done by a cosmetologist and licensed tattoo artist; I got to watch since the cosmetologist was a family friend and didn't mind me sticking around. Black eyeliner, and my mother has olive-tone skin.

It still looks fantastic all these years later. Unless you know she had it done and you're standing less than 6 inches from her face, it's hard to tell that it's a tattoo and not just a really well done, drawn-in-with-regular-makeup liner.

Michael jackson had permanant makeup in he mid 80's. Ask yourself how well it looked a couple of decades later.