The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Crash!

I crashed my first fence this week. Horse and rider are fine. The bruises arent even very impressive. I was at home, so not as emberassing as if it had been at a show, thank goodness!

Does anyone have a crash story to share? I welcome the good, the bad, and the ugly. Of course, videos are also an option.

Nothing like a good fall to make you feel alive, i guess :/ lol!
    Leadline is a legitimate reason to have children.

My favorite crash story was when Beezie and Authentic were competing in Vegas (I think??) and he knocked down a couple of rails on one of the jumps. Beezie fell off, but Authentic kept on jumping!!!

I have had a few, but my worst crash was when I crashed my old jumper through a jump, he basically landed on the back rail at a terrible angle so he flipped. He sliced his knees open, they got all infected, basically over 2 months of stall rest, and ultimately because of this injury it lead to another which ended his career.

This year I had kind of a funny one, thankfully I got it on video! Basically I learned no matter how fast you *think* your horse is going you should never take pace away going into a loong triple.

Video

Here is a freeze of right when I hit the ground

Surprisingly as bad as it looked I was not hurt at all, not even stiff for the next day of showing. I was more upset since we were going clear up until that point....

sansibar- your link to the video doesn't work unless we are friends

Put the picture alone....OUCH!

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    My favorite crash story was when Beezie and Authentic were competing in Vegas (I think??) and he knocked down a couple of rails on one of the jumps. Beezie fell off, but Authentic kept on jumping!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdb7qAtTLbc

Isn't that something?! Horse really loves his job!
    Leadline is a legitimate reason to have children.

I've crashed into a jump, pony sumersaulted (sp?) on top of me, and both of us were fine.
    Got on, did it again!

But it was a little shocking as I was 10

Quote Originally Posted by sansibar View Post
    I have had a few, but my worst crash was when I crashed my old jumper through a jump, he basically landed on the back rail at a terrible angle so he flipped. He sliced his knees open, they got all infected, basically over 2 months of stall rest, and ultimately because of this injury it lead to another which ended his career.

This year I had kind of a funny one, thankfully I got it on video! Basically I learned no matter how fast you *think* your horse is going you should never take pace away going into a loong triple.

Video

Surprisingly as bad as it looked I was not hurt at all, not even stiff for the next day of showing. I was more upset since we were going clear up until that point....
    Am sure you are fine BUT I knew a trainer was at her farm when she was jumping a horse for me she was sending back for me to sell. horse did a dirty stop and she landed much like you did in the photo. Got up and got back on etc. Quite a while later she found out she had actually fractured vertabrae in her neck and had all kinds of problems due to it. So anytime one falls like this, best to go get it checked out!

My best crash wasn't over a jump. My horse did a somersault cantering around the arena. Just tripped and rolled over his nose. I somehow landed next to him in "halter" position with the reins in my hand. Weirdest thing.
    I thought the same about that other photo, anyone falling like that needs X-rays, pain or no pain, that's a neck fracture until proven otherwise. Yikes!

Here is the video guys sorry! I had it set to friends only!

http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/...500670314&ev=0

(Just ignore my lack of equitation)

Ya I was very lucky that I was okay! I was so scared when it happened because when I heard all the poles coming down I thought I had broken my back or something. But I was thank god okay. Very upset though that I did that.

I was not present for the worst fall I have heard of. I got it second hand. The lady was on a Hunt in her sidesaddle. Her horse came over the jump and on landing he stumbled and went down throwing the rider over his head. He rolled forward and the Owen she was riding took the whole impact and broke it right down the center of the tree.
    The saddle came in to me for repairs. Repairs? It was beyond repair.
    The tree was damaged so badly thee was no way to fix it.
    I was very sorry for that saddle but sometimes they just can't be saved with all the welding and Gorilla glue in the world...
    The rider was fine, just a bit sore from hitting the ground. Very glad for that.
    JMHO
    sadlmakr

I've had so many it's hard to pick just one, but my most memorable came at a show, of course. Mare & I were at our first rated show, doing the 2'6" hunters. It was late in the afternoon and lots of people (including DH and MIL) had come to watch the prix that night, so were there to watch me, too. Went in and rocked the course. Like primary ribbon in a class of 40+ horses. 8 perfect distances, beautiful, easy jumps. Unfortunately, there were 9 fences. I thought she was going to get a long spot to fence 9, she opted for the extra stride and chip. I leaned up her neck and she changed her mind. I think she consulted her union rep and realized that she only had to do 8 fences. I sailed over the oxer. When I stood up, I was holding her bridle in my hand. She was standing there at the base of the jump, staring at me like i was an idiot. I didn't even break the bridle - still have no idea how it came off.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I fell off once as a junior and it was so nasty, I still remember every detail. We were schooling at home over a 3' triple, and over the last fence, one of the lesson moms decided THAT was the perfect time to take out a blanket and vigorously shake it clean...right in front of the fence. Needless to say, my horse decided that the big red alien blanket was going to eat him and dumped me into the oxer. I went through it, broke all the poles, and the reins got wrapped around my right wrist. My dear horse was so terrified he spun and bolted across the ring, with me dragging behind him.

After a trip to the ER, concussion, severely sprained ankle, and the most brag worthy bruise/raspberry, I came home and did it all over again. Oh, the joy of horses!

I was at a show and a girl was on a very strong pony in the larges and it got out of control in a line and crashed through the second jump, horse and rider flipped. I believe they were both okay.

Quote Originally Posted by sansibar View Post

Video

He's a lovely horse-but the pic-

Glad you were both okay!

Quote Originally Posted by The Centaurian View Post
    Isn't that something?! Horse really loves his job!
    Or is ridiculously well trained. How many times has he jumped a bending line like that one?

I "fell off" once when my horse rolled in a shallow river. Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Eklecktika View Post
    He's a lovely horse-but the pic-

Glad you were both okay!
    Thanks! We had just switched coaches and the bit was way too strong (big huge long shank rubber pelham with converters, the next day we switched him to a happy mouth full cheek) from the other coach so tapping his mouth took away too much pace and viola, me and him on the ground.

No one could believe we were both okay, especially after watching the tape. Willy didn't even have a scratch on him. He came back an hour later and did his job like a champ (not bad considering how green he was and this is his first year out really showing consistently):
    http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/...552855314&ev=0

I had what I thought was not a bad fall at my first show with my new horse. He dropped his right shoulder and invited me off. I landed on the right side of my chest and right hip. I ended up with four broken vertebrae, a broken rib and a broken hip. It really didn't seem that bad a fall, but i'm still paying for it 7 months later.