The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default help! need ideas for sewing pattern/ideas

i have a fabric store that sells fleece for $1/m,so i bought quite a bit of it and would like to make either a quarter sheet or full cooler from it.
    but.....i have no idea how to measure my horse for one or finding a pattern that's FREE.
    does anyone here make there own horse clothing?or know where to look on internet?

I made one last year and didn't use a real pattern... just kinda made it up as I went. To get the sizing, I pulled out one of her sheets and lined up the fleece and got the length. Then laid a saddle pad on the fleece to get the right length and width of that area and then made the edges nice and put some darts in the butt to make it fit a little snugger.

You can also just lay it on your horse (hopefully they are cooperative) and use a marker to trace where you want your cuts to be.

The nice thing about fleece is it stretches and moves, so even if your measurements are not completely accurate, you can still make it work.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

Quote Originally Posted by my_doran View Post
    i have a fabric store that sells fleece for $1/m,so i bought quite a bit of it and would like to make either a quarter sheet or full cooler from it.
    but.....i have no idea how to measure my horse for one or finding a pattern that's FREE.
    does anyone here make there own horse clothing?or know where to look on internet?
    Open up your piggy bank and buy a pattern!!!!

You can find them in a lot of places; Google is your friend. They will run $10-$15 and can used multiple times if you're careful.

Good luck in your project.

G.

Ive made saddle pads just by tracing my favorite sized one. I would borrow a cooler/blanket in the shape you like and just add room for seam allowance. i love working with fleece but i don't really need it here in Florida.
    The Dude is the Dudiest of Duders.