The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Train Wreck of the Day... Get off the phone!

Dear boaders who have been assimilated and have borg implants in their ears:
    GET OFF THE PHONE!

I love having to slalom past you as I try to lead my horse around yours as you've stopped in the middle of the aisle and are deep in conversation. You see me and smile and hold one finger up and then just keep on talking and talking...

I love waiting to get into the one set of cross ties in the wash stall while you are talking and trying to rinse off your horse, and hose his boots off, as you go back and forth between the tack room and the wash stall and keep having to go back and get things you've forgotten because you are distracted by talking on the phone.

I love it when you are dug in for the duration in your rolling phone booth, oblivious to the fact that the stable manager has been trying to get your attention because you are blocking his way.

I love it when you you tie your horse up and he destroys every object in his reach, paws constantly and pulls everything off the wall while you have gone off to talk outside because it's a private phone call and you don't want anyone to hear.

i love it when you are trying to ride and talk at the same time and you meander in front of people who are actually trying to accomplish something and then have to the nerve to scold people who cut across your path because they arent watching what they are doing.

I love it dear trainer, when we are supposed to be having a lesson and you have to stop and take this call because it really is important.

I love it dear boarder when you stand in the doorway of the tackroom texting frantically to your BFF oblivous to all the people who are waiting to get in there.

GET OFF THE PHONE!!!
    "I can't help but think good horsemanship has to
    do with the mind." Maria Bertram, Mansfield Park by
    Jane Austen.

Amen!
    ~Ride the horse you have today. Not yesterday, not what he should be, nor what you thought he was.

Ditto.

Agreed.

I'm also, after yesterday, in favor of a nationwide "pull-over" law - not applying to driving, or not JUST to driving, but applying to Wal-Mart or other store of your choice.

If you receive/make a phone call, PULL OVER TO THE SIDE OUT OF TRAFFIC FLOW.

I was stuck behind 6 obstructing phone calls in one trip in Wal-Mart yesterday. The first of these occurred at the security gates on the way in. Person in front of me grabbed a cart from the empties, started to roll through the gate, phone rings, she STOPS DEAD in the gate, whips it out, and proceeds with conversation. The other gate (the exit) at that moment was blocked by a man who suddenly couldn't remember if he had bought wrapping paper and thus was stopped in that gate while he fished through his cart.

The trip went down from there. I've noted the phenomenon on general days, even when not Christmas Eve.

Your phone conversation should never stop all traffic in an aisle/entrance/checkout. Sheesh, what ever happened to consideration?

Consideration seems to be stone cold dead these days, and I think all of the cell phones, GPS, and other Borg implants killed it. I love (not really) walking through the grocery store behind a family, all on games or cell phones, or blue tooth who are wandering all over the aisle, and apparently are on the phone to other family members who are in the same store too. And I really loathe driving down the road behind a driver that seems to be drunk or high from their veering and weaving and other unsafe actions only to see that they are texting or calling at the same time and are barely touching the wheel.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Thumbs down

And what about the decibals? Not only blocking traffic but talking SO LOUD. (sorry)
    In line at the Post Office the other day and this bleached gal in cut-offs was holding up the line and speaking so loud that the other old coots like myself just exchanged looks while I shook my head and did my blunt as usual thing. I do not want to hear your stupid conversations!!! She realized we were staring and making fun of her so then began this dumb girl recitation of how she doesn't know what to do at a post office with, um, *letters*, but was there for her grandmother. I smiled at her and told her that her grandmother must be proud of her learning a new skill.
    I feel like the pod people are taking over. All these morons shuffling along gripping and staring at a little box.
    Lawt a mercy.

I always think of the Dr Who episode where the Cybermen used ear buds to control the humans. Bwahahahahaa!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D1NwzUt7cM
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

I think every single new car should come standard with Bluetooth and hands-free technology. They should make sure they know how to use it too! Nothing makes me crazier than being behind some idiot on their cellphone going 45 on IH35 or IH10 where most people are going at least 75 mph.

I have bluetooth and use it primarily to call 911 on all the idiots on the road (mainly drunk drivers). What is with that? People seem to forget that cars have the capability of killing.

Manners are unknown to many people. I have been told that using good manners is "old school." We live in a society where people expect to be able to do what they want when they want, and if it bothers or inconveniences someone else, too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

Argh! I HATE cel phones. They are the bane of anything involving manners. Man, it's SO RUDE to talk on your )_((&*%^&$$% like you're some neurosurgeon saving a life and MUST have the conversation NOW!

I bought an illegal cel phone jammer online. I need to pull that out and wander some stores. He he he. I used it at school, but I don't know how well it works. I think I'm going to have some holiday fun and see how well it works in public.

If you're talking on a cel phone in public, you are a rude Philistine.

ANASTASIA!!!!!!!
    How long have you been a mind reader?
    Do you have super powers that you can see me in my little bitty life and KNOW exactly what I am thinking?
    You must!
    I have missed your humor friend.... after this Christmas it is so desprately needed.... thank you for coming through for me!
    I 3rd or 4th or even 5th. HANG UP THE DARN PHONE!
    ....... pausing

I was standing in line at Nordstrom last week. A woman at the counter had her cell phone stuck in her ear WHILE THE SALESPERSON WAS TRYING TO CHECK HER STUFF. The poor salesperson was trying to get her to communicate...like how do you want to pay for this stuff, do you need a box, sign here, etc. The woman was totally oblivious, not to mention rude and obnoxious to not only the salesperson, but the 6 other people waiting in line. I "accidently" stepped on the back of her foot. That finally got her attention.

She turned around and gave me a dirty look, to which I replied, "oh, pardon me...did I interrupt your phone conversation?"

What I really don't get is the amount of phone calls and texting that goes on at the barn. I go to the barn to GET AWAY from that. I leave the cell phone in the car. I want peace and quiet, period.

I don't talk on the phone when at the barn but I do crank up Pandora and my headphones because it drowns out all I don't want to hear and keeps the experience between me and my horse.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I got SO irritated a couple of weeks ago at the gym. I was pretty into my cardio workout (usually go 1 hour+, depends on what's on TV), and hooked up to my headphones watching the little TV on the elliptical.

The chick next to me yammered and yammered and yammered, and every other word was "like". (Another topic entirely, but I'll let someone else start that thread). Out of desperation, I jacked the volume all the way up, but even THAT wouldn't drown her out.

After about 45 minutes I muttered, "Shut UP!!!"

Except it wasn't a mutter. With the headphones on, I wasn't really aware of exactly how loudly I'd spoken.

Oh yes, she heard me loud and clear. Shot me a long, nasty look. But it worked. She put the %&#* phone away for the rest of her workout.

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

Have a mother daughter duo who own a big facility. They are in an affluent area so they have a captive audience of rich kids and such. I think it makes it a tad easier to make some pretty hard and fast rules at their barn that don't leave them high and dry with an empty barn. but... cell phones are not allowed in their barn past the riders' lounge. You are not allowed to have a cell phone in the horse portion of the barn unless it is an absolute emergency. And then, you would have to walk back to the lounge to get your phone of the designated table. Doesn't stop daughter from being on the phone in the barn, but hey, it's her barn her rules. I think for the most part, it's a good idea but my barn is smaller and a bit more casual.

I do think the electronic age has ruined humanity with regards to instant gratification. A shame...

I have a 5 year old. He does not own video games, a cell phone, many electronics for that matter at all. We don't even have pay tv in the house. No we aren't amish. I just want him to be his age and enjoy what being a kid is about. I know he will want those things as he matures so I am enjoying him and his innocence now while I still can. He was most excited about Santa bringing him construction paper so he could make stuff. This kid is obsessed with Scotch tape and our house often has little projects and such all over the house.
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

thank you!!! Tuesday, grocery store . . . .yakking lady on cell phone blocking the aisle. I waited patiently, then said excuse me, excuse me, oh hello excuse me. That's it, I plowed into her shopping cart slamming it out of the way so I could get past.

She looks at me and says "Excuse me is the polite way to get someone to move". Then I blew!!! "I SAID EXCUSE ME THREE FREAKING TIMES LADY, YOU WERE SO BUSY BLABBING ON YOUR DAMN PHONE THAT YOU IGNORED ME!!! SO I HAD NO OTHER CHOICE THAN TO TAKE MATTERS INTO MY OWN HANDS, DO US ALL A FAVOR AND GET OFF YOUR GOD DAMN PHONE, YOU'RE JUST NOT THAT IMPORTANT!!"

I felt ever so much better I smiled all day long!!!!! I normally am a much more patient person (well sometimes) but that was the straw so to speak that flattened the camel!!!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

Quote Originally Posted by winfieldfarm View Post
    Have a mother daughter duo who own a big facility. They are in an affluent area so they have a captive audience of rich kids and such. I think it makes it a tad easier to make some pretty hard and fast rules at their barn that don't leave them high and dry with an empty barn. but... cell phones are not allowed in their barn past the riders' lounge. You are not allowed to have a cell phone in the horse portion of the barn unless it is an absolute emergency. And then, you would have to walk back to the lounge to get your phone of the designated table. Doesn't stop daughter from being on the phone in the barn, but hey, it's her barn her rules. I think for the most part, it's a good idea but my barn is smaller and a bit more casual.

I do think the electronic age has ruined humanity with regards to instant gratification. A shame...
    I agree about the cell phone griping, but this sounds like a safety hazard to me. I ride by myself or with just one other person often, and I was taught that a cell phone is just as important to have as riding boots or a helmet for safety equipment. I put mine on silent, and don't pick up phone calls.

I tend to ignore annoying things other people do.

I fear for the human condition! Really, it could be China, or No. Korea, or Iran, all with their nuclear programs to blast us all to smithereens, or all of the myriad hazards to human existence on this planet, but I don't think I carry much weight on a daily basis with their "powers that be".

However, the "plugged in" status of the citizenry gives me pause.

It sucks.

Couple the lack of basic respect (e.g. customers "checking out" on the phone and ignoring the peripheral clerk who is making a lousy dime AND suffering your miserable attitude and lack of acknowledgement...you know who you are) with a dismal ability to connect with a fellow human face to face, civilly, compassionately, genuinely. and we are diminished.

Yeah, I'm an old fart. I have a cell phone and I use it, but never to the exclusion of the PERSON who is in front of me. Remember that? Anyone??