The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The Lost Dogs, Michael Vick's dogs by Jim Gorant

Has anyone else read this? I got it today, as a Christmas present and it's excellent.

Well written, it's about the dogs, but also about how the case was built....who the investigators were, how this was ground breaking in many ways (look up Melinda Merk,veterinary forensics) and how many powerful people tried to stand in the way.
    Last edited by threedogpack; Dec. 25, 2010 at 12:57 AM. Reason: spelling

I didn't read the book, but I did see the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary special about the dogs they have and it was so sad what happened to these animals, and how many of them have improved.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Yes I read it. The first half was very difficult to get through for me. Not because it was poorly written more because of the acts of violence against the dogs. I felt I owed it to my pibble to read the whole book.

The second half did capture how monumental the task was to save the dogs and how the people behind the rescue poured their heart and soul into the effort. What they did was truly amazing

The thing I can't get over is that Michael Vick had a pit bull as a pet in his college years. Truly as a pet; not a dog he fought. And then he was able to turn around and so brutally kill his dogs that wouldn't fight. In my opinion the man is walking evil.

3 members found this post helpful.

Simple-Vick also wants a dog so his kids won't be deprived, and so he can learn to deal with a house pet. And it was documented in the plea deal that he tossed family pets in the ring to train the fighting dogs to kill-apparently he has had problems with compassion and being a decent human being forever. I fail to see how he changed or ever really will.

2 members found this post helpful.

I found the acts of violence very difficult to read also, but was not surprised by them since they have been well publicized. What I *did* find so interesting is how many powerful people tried to make this go away (Poindexter) and how detailed the case was built, which is why the conviction happened. I am now into the second half of the book. I am impressed and also interested in how the evaluation team was put together, what they saw and how the dogs reacted.

I think the book will solidify my stance that MV should not own another dog. What he did was horrendous, but even more than that, it's somehow made me think or feel that he is one of those people who says the right thing to get the reaction he wants from those around him. I don't think he's learned the lesson(s) that he needs to learn yet (and maybe won't ever learn them), and I think it has not increased his empathy.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    What I *did* find so interesting is how many powerful people tried to make this go away (Poindexter) and how detailed the case was built, which is why the conviction happened.
    Agreed! The good ole boys network is alive and well.

I think the book will solidify my stance that MV should not own another dog. What he did was horrendous, but even more than that, it's somehow made me think or feel that he is one of those people who says the right thing to get the reaction he wants from those around him. I don't think he's learned the lesson(s) that he needs to learn yet (and maybe won't ever learn them), and I think it has not increased his empathy.
    Couldn't agree with you more. Except that I don't think he CAN learn the lessons that he needs to...

1 members found this post helpful.

Did y'all see him on tv the other day when he said he would like to have a dog as a pet in the future as he REALLY loves animals?
    I almost threw up....What a lot of gall to even be able to say that.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

I've now made it to chapter 27 and honestly.....the first half of the book was hard to read but the part about the dogs and how they got shuffled around is harder for me.

I would love to follow some of these dogs, especially the most emotionally damaged ones, just to see how much they recover.

One of the things I was extremely glad to read, is how the dogs changed the people they came in contact with, for the better.

Bad Rap, who took care of, and evaluated the dogs has a FB page. There are updates on some of the dogs there. It is so nice to see how far these dogs have come. Some are therapy dogs, many are out there being good ambassadors for the breed. Bad Rap has done a wonderful job for the dogs.

A local radio personality adopted one of the dogs. He has talked about the intense screening process and about how his new dog still cowers in a corner when someone walks in the room despite the tons of love and kindness it now recieves. The mental damage on those poor dogs is unbelievable. This dj really hates Vick and when it came out that Vick wants another dog, he (radio guy) just about lost it. It is court documented that he admitted throwing his children's dogs into the pit to be killed.
    I try really hard to be a forgiving person but I don't think Michael Vick derserves to ever own another dog or any other animal. He did serve his time, and now he has his fab job back (making more than most of us ever even dream about)... but he's done as far as I am concerned as a pet owner.

Thanks for reminding me, this has been on my list to read.

I was absolutely appalled while watching the last Cowboys/Eagles game. They showed one of the Cowboys' players getting Vick's autograph after the game. S O tried to calm me down by saying he was probably getting it for one of his kids. Well, that's even worse! You'd actually want your child to think this is someone to admire!!!????
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

MV makes me sick! I keep hoping some player breaks both MV's legs!!! or worse. This man is pure evil and should NEVER be allowed to own any animal ever again!

I DO want to read the book, but I was so upset in reading the accounts of what had been done to the dogs,I think I will have to wait a bit until I read this book...

Arizona-I truly believe that someday, when he's screwed all of his money away, and after nobody cares about him that he will still be one of the biggest idiot losers that ever lived. I hope that the HSUS president who is supporting his ownership of a dog gets a damn clue, and the judge just says hell no to Vick's stupid idea. Vick has butchered enough animals already and shouldn't ever be near any animal ever. I also can't believe all of the people who keep saying he served his time and has changed, because I think deep down he's still the same animal murdering loser he's always been. And I think that someday he'll be right back to bankrolling and participating in dog fights as soon as he can get away with it.

Tanlines1, I would bet your radio personality hates MV. The book (and remember....I don't know how accurate it really is), described most of the dogs as very sweet. As a dog owner, a person who has done fostering and made hard decisions about some of the fosters, I know that often there is a ceiling on how much recovery a dog can reach. There is usually a ceiling on what they will be able to tolerate.

The fact that these dogs were under nourished, unsocialized and neglected at best, abused at worst....and STILL were able to manage in homes says something about the basic personality of the dog to begin with.

I think that is what is so sad for me.....the potential that was lost with these incredibly nice dogs. What could they have been, had they been born into a different set of circumstances.

Hell, everyone who is so ga-ga about Vick, points out what he came from.

Ditto.
    Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Simple-Vick also wants a dog so his kids won't be deprived, and so he can learn to deal with a house pet. And it was documented in the plea deal that he tossed family pets in the ring to train the fighting dogs to kill-apparently he has had problems with compassion and being a decent human being forever. I fail to see how he changed or ever really will.

Hopefully one day there will be a thread discussing the book written about all the NFL rape & sexual assault victims.

Wait, there isn't a book about that. Until then we can discuss dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    Hopefully one day there will be a thread discussing the book written about all the NFL rape & sexual assault victims.

Honestly, this type of thing always upsets me. I totally agree that the topic of NFL rape and sexual assault victims is important, and that the perpetrators should be punished and punished severely. Both are very serious crimes.
    I also care about dogs and I have read the book being discussed in this thread. I think it is a fascinating (albeit sad in parts) book and is also an important topic to discuss.
    Caring about the fact that Michael Vick tortured many dogs does not mean that I (or others) do not care about rape and sexual assault victims.
    I have a friend on Facebook who is constantly posting about how much she loves Michael Vick and how it was "just" dogs. Honestly, it has totally changed my opinion of her. I just don't understand how someone who is a good person could torture dogs.

2 members found this post helpful.

I think if you abuse animals intentionally you should forfeit your right to ever own or live in a household with ANY animal.

I think there was a group that would donate a bag of dogfood to a rescue anytime MV was sacked. I love that.

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post

If you think there should be a book about that, then write it. Just because there are other crimes committed by the thugs of the NFL doesnt mean that what MV did wasnt disgusting.

I don't watch football.

If I happen to wander into the room when hubby is watching and he mentions the SOB's team is playing, I immediately start chanting "break his arm, break his leg, break his neck."

I will never buy another Nike product as long as I live, and I told the kids they shouldn't even both to ask . . .
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables