The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default NetFlix?

What is your feedback on NetFlix?

I watch a lot of movies in the wintertime and am spending WAY to much money at Blockbuster.

Is it worth getting the DVD player that is set up for NetFlix instant access? We got money for Xmas from in-laws and will be getting a new blu-ray dvd player.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

If you watch a lot of movies, I think it is worth it. I have had Netflix for more than 4 years and am going to quit because I do not watch enough movies. And since I have the DVDs mailed to me, it is going to get even more expensive. Just not worth it to me anymore.

We have the Netflix 1 at a time plan and the online access through our Wii.

The online is great if you have broadband and go into it knowing that new not all titles and none of the new releases are available online yet. I read in the news that new releases will be coming sooner next year, but it's not happening yet.

I use my one at a time DVD for newer movies, and the online to watch older films and go back to catch up on TV shows (Psych, Dexter, Monk, etc.)
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Without Netflix, I could not watch every episode of "Law & Order: SVU" seasons 1-11

I like to watch the older tv shows also. I don't always get to watch the tv shows previous seasons. IE Royal Pains.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

My husband cannot live without it.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

I think it's worth it. They've also gotten to the point where you can watch content on a smartphone, which I expect to use the next time I have a long airport layover.

I've had Netflix for a number of years...the 16.95 (now 19.95) 3 disk plan. I really can't be bothered with the DVD situation anymore, but we DO use the streaming video with a Roku box all the time. They are now offering a $7.99 streaming only subscription, with no DVDs. So, I'm switching to that.

Personally, I don't watch television and I very rarely watch movies....I have NO time...between a challenging full-time job, kids, horse stuff and a need to sleep once and a while. I prefer to spend my 15-20 minutes, between lying down at night and passing out, reading. But, my husband and kids like to watch the streaming stuff, so it works out well for them.

So...I'm curious about this thread as well...I have all the movie channels and find I'm not watching as much because they play the same movies all the time...there are only so many times I can watch the Hangover or the Sweetest Thing before I'm tired of it...so feel like the cable movie channels aren't worth my time, except I'm hesitant to give up shows like Dexter, Weeds, Nurse Jackie, etc....

But...I think I have so many other things to watch via netflix it may be worth it.

See my thread about the Roku box...just got it for Christmas and it allows you to watch hulu.com, netflix, etc...on your tv directly. I think that is going to be awesome because of the combination of things available...you might want to consider that as well...

Zephyra Guest

I find Netflix to be worth it and would encourage you to get whatever set up that will allow you to easily watch the "Instant Play" movies. For the online movies, I stream them from my laptop and display it on the t.v. by using a monitor cord. You don't have to do that if you have the box that is available but I found the use of the laptop an easy way to save a few dollars.

Love it!

YES!! I just got a new LG DVD player for Christmas that does the streaming Netflix. It is AWESOME!! Set up instantly out of the box, and we've been adding stuff to our Instant queue for 2 days. No more $5.99 "on demand" movies ever again!

I have the $16.99 plan for 2 regular dvds out at a time, but when the kids go back to school, will drop it down to 1 regular one.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I don't do the streaming to TV, I just watch it on my computer. Love it. Beyond words. I've watched every episode of Law & Order: SVU multiple times... every episode of Family Guy, and now I'm on season 3 of American Dad. I truly do not know what I would do without Netflix. Mostly, I watch it when I go into work on our days off to get caught up on paperwork. Having something to watch keeps my interested enough to actually stay at work and get stuff done.

We have it and really like it. Most of our watching is streaming, so we have the basic $9.99/month one-DVD-at-a-time plan.

We already had an HDMI cable that allowed us to hook laptops to our HDTV as well as an XBOX 360 and Wii, both of which can stream Netflix. So we didn't bother with a DVD/Roku type thing.

Go through Ebates.com if you want $8 back after you subscribe, which amounts to a free month after your free trial period.
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog, Launching September 2015 http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

instant download rules. We are on the one at a time by mail with instant que. It's $8 a month and we wind up watching about 20
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Love Netflix! We have been on the 1 DVD at a time plan for about a year, and really like it. We go through 2 movies a week this time of year, plus whatever we catch online. I am a big movie nut, though, so it is a good deal to me.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Love it.

We're watching West Wing from the beginning now, but instant download works great too.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Love it! Been using Netflix for about six years now and watch about two movies per week. Can't use the instant download since I only get a "sizzling" 28.8 on the dial-up. Cable is not available here and I can't affort $50 a month for satellite. The nearest video store is 15 miles away, costs $5 per night and I refuse to drive to town just to return a video. I love the selection of old movies and videos that Netflix gives me.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)
    Autumn Caper (April 27, 1989 - May 24, 2015)

Love it, finally realized a year ago that I could get Netflix unlimited cheaper than Blockbuster. Really like the streaming feature, too. I watch all kinds of random documentaries that way. I'm fine with the unlimited 1 disc plan, my turnaround time is only 3 days between movies so I can get 2 movies per week if I time it right.

Luv it. Have the 1 DVD/mo & on demand plan.

1. No late fees
    2. Don't want to pay for Dish and don't have access to cable anymore. It's been great for catching up on The Office.