The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stupid/hilarious breakup excuses

"Um, you didn't recognize Mozart's Requiem on the radio"

and

"When your brother came to visit you served him a meal that was dried out"

Excuse me, that was a Quesadilla. It's *supposed* to be crisp on the outside. And by the way, since when were the French authorities on Mexican food???? (I was dating a French guy at the time)

(both are totally true stories)

Any others?

What? Those are hilarious. I don't have one that was used on me, but when I broke up with my first boyfriend, I was 14. I called him and he asked, "What's up?" I got all awkward and was like, "Um, you know what's up."

He didn't know.

Yes, I totally made him guess. It took him a while too.

It was painfully bad and very cruel of me. I just couldn't work up the guts to say it

Hrm, a large number of my breakups back in the day were because "I feel like you like your horse better than me!"

I married the guy who was happy to see me when I felt I could make it out, and didn't complain if I missed a few days. Just like my horse
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

lol...
    "You didn't pet my dog when you came in"... is one I used...
    He honestly didn't like animals even though he said he did... his reaction to my dog was enough not to take him to my horse. Not a boyfriend per say... more someone I had gone on a few dates with but still counts

OR another guy I had been on a few dates with:
    Rich baseball player who came to pick me up from the barn and wouldn't walk from the parking lot to barn as he didn't want to get his feet dirty: "Listen, if you're that worried about getting your feet dirty, I can already tell you this isn't going to go anywhere..."

Oh my...
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

"I've got the winter blahs".

I was 15. I've got to give him credit, that's pretty creative for a 15 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpingmaya View Post
    lol...
    "You didn't pet my dog when you came in"... is one I used...
    He honestly didn't like animals even though he said he did... his reaction to my dog was enough not to take him to my horse. Not a boyfriend per say... more someone I had gone on a few dates with but still counts

OR another guy I had been on a few dates with:
    Rich baseball player who came to pick me up from the barn and wouldn't walk from the parking lot to barn as he didn't want to get his feet dirty: "Listen, if you're that worried about getting your feet dirty, I can already tell you this isn't going to go anywhere..."

Oh my...
    I don't think this is ridiculous. Some guys just aren't the type, and you can tell right away sometimes. I would have reacted the same way. "Sorry guy, but more often than not, I am covered in a thin layer of grime/sand/horse poo flakes/hair/hay. More often than not my hair is dirty, sweaty and squarshed from the helmet, and don't even get me started on my car, AKA my mobile tackroom, AKA the roadtrip trash can."

A guy told me that he company was sending him to China to work and he just didn't think we could make a go of it long distance.

Sounds perfectly reasonable right?

Well...............

He lived right next door to where I worked and had my horses, so I saw him every damn day he was supposed to be in China- LOL!

He must of thought I was pretty bad to want to go to China to get rid of me
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Not necessarily a breakup but when I was 14 I asked this guy that I liked if he would dance with me at one of our school dances. His response - "I have to go call my mother"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sithly View Post
    do NOT give your 5 year old child a big bag of apples and send her out alone into a herd of 20-some horses to get mobbed. There are better ways to dispose of unwanted children.