The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Anybody else having a bummed out Xmas?

Bummed out, atypical, semi dysfunctional Christmas COTHers chime in here!

My DH decided he was "taking a year off" from Christmas. Now let's see... I cook, I clean, I shop, I wrap, I decorate. He buys me a present. Ok, so that's not happening. Not that I'm that into gifts, but still..

Family? None for hundreds of miles.

Friends? They all have their own familes.

Biggest bummer? A sweet kid at the stable made me some pumpkin bread, and gave me a gift for my pony who she just adores. My son ate the pumpkin bread. All of it!

Time for me to recalibrate and remember what Christmas is all about.

Peace.
    It's 2015. Do you know where your old horse is?

Wanna come down here and hang? I'm on my own and don't have much but what's mine is yours!! Find me on FB.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I've come to the conclusion that I really don't care for Xmas anymore.

pony4me is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Wanna come down here and hang? I'm on my own and don't have much but what's mine is yours!! Find me on FB.
    Thanks for the kind offer, but I'll just deal with it. Barn has self-turnout tomorrow, so I need to stay in town.

Count your blessings.

I am typing this from my laptop while sitting in Pediatric ICU with my daughter who has bacterial meningitis. I ran out to get something to eat while she was asleep & had a subway sandwich on Christmas eve.

Quote Originally Posted by SandraD View Post
    Count your blessings.

I am typing this from my laptop while sitting in Pediatric ICU with my daughter who has bacterial meningitis. I ran out to get something to eat while she was asleep & had a subway sandwich on Christmas eve.
    Oh my gosh. Jingles and prayers to both of you.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

My husband is in Afghanistan, our first Christmas apart in 15 years.

Jingles and prayers to you and your daughter, SandraD! Hope she is better soon!
    Last edited by HCF; Dec. 24, 2010 at 09:51 PM. Reason: adding jingles

Why not treat yourself to a night at the local hotel w/out the guys? After all he is taking the year off so you should too...make sure the hotel has a full breakfast and a late check out

SandraD - best wishes to you and your daughter.

pony4me is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

SandraD, jingles and prayers for your daughter from me too.

HCF, tell your husband THANK YOU!

Pfffft tell him next year you're putting "new non grinch husband" on your list and if he can't find it inside of him somewhere you'll find it outside somewhere. Problem solved.

Jingles and prayers for your daughter, for my dog who had to have surgery, and for my old horse who has developed laminitis. We are having an awful christmas, and my DD hugged the dog yesterday and said she was happy with her Christmas present. I cried.

Quote Originally Posted by Bells View Post
    Why not treat yourself to a night at the local hotel w/out the guys? After all he is taking the year off so you should too...make sure the hotel has a full breakfast and a late check out

SandraD - best wishes to you and your daughter.
    I think this is a GREAT idea. A gift for yourself.

And I am SO sorry to hear about everyone's tough time. Jingling for health and happiness in 2011.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

My brother does not like Christmas because he says he hates the commercialization of it all. The fact that people give in order to get, or feel obligated to give.

My step-sister came over for Christmas dinner and was a bit upset to find out that she might have gotten presents from people she did not get presents for. I explained to her that the point of giving is to give, not to get.

So, cook dinner, get a present, clean the house - if you want. Do not begrudge your husband not getting any presents because that is not the point of giving or the point of Christmas. If you do not and someone complains, that's their problem, not yours.

Oh, Sandra, great big jingles to you and DD!!!!

Wishing everyone, health, happiness and SAFETY (HCF!!) for my Christmas wish........

This year has been stressful. I was in the hospital up until Wednesday with blockage in my small intestine (think colic) and now my daughter is sick. We got the tree up (barely) and I got most of the presents but I sure wish I had more time.

Of course, I'm really grateful to be home. Although the staff at the hospital were very kind, it's not just the same. SandraD, I hope your daughter is better soon and you can both be home.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I wasn't going to do Christmas this year, my son is gone to his dads, and was so not in the Christmas spirit. My DH was willing to go along with it. I knew he was not happy with not doing Christmas so I said fine I will do it and I have put up the tree and some of the other Christmas things. He has gone over our set spending limit on gifts for me, He enjoys doing it, I on the other hand one picked up one big gift for him and a few stocking stuffers. I know her will be more then happy with the one gift because it is something he wants.

I have to say that it has been a very hard year for me to find the Christmas spirit but I did it for my DH because we never know when he might not be home for Christmas as he is in the military. I say if you want to do Christmas then do it, just because he doesn't want to doesn't mean you have to go with out.
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

Quote Originally Posted by SandraD View Post
    Count your blessings.

God Bless and take care of her and yourself. I will have a word with the big guy that things go better.
    Thanks for the reminder that we all have it so good.
    bad decisions make good stories

This one is crappy for me, though I know I am so blessed in many ways and I truly am thankful for that. I would just like a little mini-vent, though.

This is my first Christmas away from my family (just me and my cat).
    My dad has stage 4 cancer and I can't help but think of how badly I wish I could be with him and the rest of my family.
    My mom lost her job last month.
    My sister is unemployed too and my parents are helping to support her.
    I'm living just above the poverty level, though with a good job.
    I had a kitty patient die on me this week and it really got to me. I feel like the bad guy for telling people what their pets need for their care despite the holidays, including bad news and diagnoses.
    I have to work ER tomorrow (Christmas) and I'm absolutely DREADING having to euthanize anything or diagnose any animal with a bad disease (and it will happen).
    I have to work Sunday and then overnight on Monday.
    My parents' package of xmas presents (meager but thoughtful) and cookies didn't get here on time.

Thanks for letting me vent guys. I know it could be worse. I know I have a lot of blessings to count. I know I'm not the only one.

I hope everyone manages to find something good in their holiday this year, and for good health for themselves and families, first and foremost.

SandraD -- I am thinking of you and your daughter in the hospital. I hope the antibiotics kick in and she feels better. You will get through this!

Default yes, but not as bad as some of you.

Jingles for those of you fighting illness and loneliness.

My husband hates Christmas. Hates buying presents, hates the music, thinks lights are a waste, refuses to go to parties, doesn't want people over (why yes, he's a cheapskate! How intelligent you are! ).

I love Christmas. I play in the bell choir, I used to have a children's choir, I like to buy presents, I love having a Christmas tree, I like to go to parties.

Every year, my husband does his level best to ruin Christmas. Usually, I just go on about my business and ignore his grinchiness, but this year he got me, and here I am, on Christmas Eve, posting on the Internet, trying not to cry.

I'd rather be at work.

Merry Christmas any way.
    friend of bar.ka

I am dressed up. These wellies are clean.