The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Missing my kitty-- it's been one year

Last year at this time I posted on OT day that my kitty was sick and at the emergency vet on Christmas. COTHers gave very kind advice and then condolences when he did not pull through. We did not do a necropsy but the vets' educated guess was some kind of intestinal cancer even though nothing had showed up on ultrasound.

He was pretty special-- firey orange and very much a redhead. He was almost 13 but I had had him 11 years-- through grad school, first job, next job, moving to a different part of the country, everything. I still think about him and miss him, especially now. Thanks for being there last year.

http://picasaweb.google.com/CookiePo...02898702501106

Tha

It is hard to forget about our pets, isn't it? Especially the ones that helped us through difficult years and special time-lines through our lives.

My Chester was PTS several years ago and it seems like yesterday.

I do love orange kitties - My favorite color... Something special about those little orange guys.

Your boy looked liked a real sweety...

Default Right there with you

I moved back to SC this time last year. Old kitty was with me, but kitty that showed up a year or so before the move and wanted to be an indoor/outdoor kitty came with me. I had qualms, but barn folks said I had to take her, she'd claimed me. Well, she was here a month and one night downstairs I heard dogs in the middle of the night and never saw her again. : ( I still look for her. She was so agile and fast and would sometimes disappear for a few weeks, so I'm hoping she found a nearby place with fewer dogs just passing through. Missed my old mare the other day. Turned out it was 7 years to the day I lost her. Thankful for those I have had and still have!

Its so hard to loose them unexpectedly! My cat was almost 3 and one day had a yellowish look to his skin. Thankfully it wasn't liver failure, but rather the bile duct blocked. We did emergency surgery to remove the gall bladder and bile duct. The vet called me to tell me the surgery went great and he should make a 100% recovery. I was so excited, but then 15 mins later, I get a call that he died coming out of anesthesia. They think it was a air embolism that cause a cardiac arrest. One of the risks of putting a cat under, but of course not all that common.

I was devastated. He was my cat of a life time if there is one. I had such a connection to him. He slept on my pillow with his paws around my head and his head on mine. I cried for weeks!

Its not that I don't love my other cats, but they aren't Carmelo. The one that reached out to me from his cage at the humane society after I had visited with him and taking the
    night to think about it.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...c2&id=19200064

I know how you feel. It gets better slowly, but still hurts.

Awwww! Misstrezzz Puzzle sends trills and walks across your keyboard in memory of your special kitty!

http://themares.blogspot.com/2010/11...r-24-2010.html

Yes, this was one of two kitties in my lifetime who would sleep under my chin or against my chest. People who say cats are always distant don't know these cats, do they? I don't have my cats teeth done. I've lost 3 animals under anesthesia now and I just can't chance it...

Quote Originally Posted by Mariequi View Post
    Yes, this was one of two kitties in my lifetime who would sleep under my chin or against my chest. People who say cats are always distant don't know these cats, do they? I don't have my cats teeth done. I've lost 3 animals under anesthesia now and I just can't chance it...
    I know what your talking about. Of course, my last two cats have been girls and needed to be spayed. It took me a long time to get the first one done because she was the first cat after the one that died. She made it through just fine. My kitten just got done on Tuesday and I was on edge the entire time. I was thinking the worst. She made it through just fine.

Animals and anesthesia scare me now.

this week we opened our stocking container to hang our stockings and there were 3 stockings of dead long past dogs in the container. breaks my heart. Loved them all, their stockings and their memories remain. As your kitty memories will.

Our kitty Sparky died the day after Christmas, 2009. He had just adopted us in the spring (literally jumped in the truck when we were picking up a pony for a friend).

I had always preferred dogs to cats, but Sparky completely changed the way I view felines. He came running when I called him, played patiently with my children, educated our dogs and entertained the neighbors. He was gentle and calm even during recovery from a surgery that kept him confined indoors in a crate for two weeks (he was an active outdoor cat who loved his freedom). When the weather got colder, we built him a little house on our deck with a heated floor. He slept happily in there and also used it to store dead mice; he amassed quite a collection before I figured out where the smell was coming from! He would probably not have been happy as a purely indoor cat (and I am allergic to cats), but I was actually close to moving him in anyway. He was just such a character and we all loved him.

We were gone all day Christmas last year. The next day, my friend called and said that she'd seen a dead cat down the road that looked like one of mine. It was Sparky. Mercifully, it looked like he had died instantly, hit by a car. He is the first animal I've ever had that died young and I have second-guessed myself so many times, wondering if I should have tried to make a housecat of him. My children still miss him and so do I. Before Sparky, I never realized before how good a friend a cat can be. Because of Sparky, we took in four more homeless kitties, who have been happily settled in our barn ever since (well, one moved into Sparky's house on the deck). They are all fun and interesting in their own way, and I think I see and appreciate more of each one's uniqueness because of Sparky.

Are they special and unusual because they just "are," or do they become more special and unusual when we see it and allow them to be?

Kitties are wonderful creatures. I firmly believe each one can be a forever lifetime special companion. No two of them have the same personality. They are unique animals that touch our lives, and it breaks my heart there are so many in shelters and out on the streets that long to have a home and a person to love.

I know how much your heart must be aching for your kitty. Their memories stay with us for our lives, and it's at this time of year we reflect on it the most. The longing gets better each year, though, and soon you'll be thinking only of the good times.

Thanks for the stories and pics-- yes, kitties are wonderful creatures. And his stocking is hanging on the mantel with everyone else's.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Cats are wonderful. I had one of those orange cats that came to live with me in grad school and then moved across the country with me when I finished. He used to catch mice and then bring them into the house alive and release them. Then he would sit there and watch while we chased them. I seriously think we had more mice in the house because of him.

These anniversaries are tough but you definitely have a lot of great memories of your kitty that will make him live on as part of you.

Your story inspired me to start a thread on my trainer's new cat, Dice.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Cherish the memories of your kitty. I lost mine a year and a half ago, and I still miss him. Even now, sometimes I think I see him for a moment. Or I'll turn expecting to see him. I have to say, that having another pet at the time helped immensely.

Sorry about your kitty. He was a handsome guy. We had an orange one, too, who died this November. There is something about those gingers!

Hugs i understand we had to put one down in feb , and just put one down thurs. Christmas this year seems to be missing something.