The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Anyone carry a concealed weapon?

I just got my license and have been around guns all of my life, had safety courses, etc.

We have seen an increase of random people coming down our long driveway to our farm...Ive heard everything from "Need any work done?" to "Im looking for scrap metal" and since my husband travels for work, we decided I needed a handgun to keep on me, just in case.

I generally carry a shotgun around the farm but have switched over to a handgun as its easier to keep ON ME and def. a lot lighter to carry around.

If you carry, WHAT do you carry?

Santa brought me a Taurus PT 740 Slim 40cal and after shooting it today, I am wondering if its too much gun...although it def. has the stopping power I was looking for.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Alaska lets us carry concealed. I want to take the class but haven't yet. Mamma wants a Sigg Sauer for christmas
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

NV has open carry...no permit if it is out there to be seen sooooooo... out there it is. Charter Arms Bulldog .44...fits my hand, not a lot of recoil and a big hole at short distances.

my BF carries a PPS. I dont know jack about guns.

Glock 9mm...Had a really big dog but he passed away.

No gun, but I have a pocket knife on me at all times since I'm alone at the barn most of the time. Over the last couple weeks there has been a couple of men coming around to pick mushrooms off the trees, and while they seem a little weary of the horses, I don't know what would happen if I told them 'no' and I didn't have a horse with me.
    Proud mother to Matt, a 18 year-old TB gelding.

FOREVER

In the class they should have taught you not to talk about your concealed license, as that you carry is supposed to be, well, concealed.

Seems that you need basic security to keep people wandering in, like a closed and locked gate.

Most around here carry a Glock 9mm, mine a smaller Glock 26.
    There are some new lighter .38s, with smaller 7 clip, still comparable in stopping power.
    Academy around here sells them, Gander Mountain had a 25% off sale on them this month.

Ask your concealed license teacher what would be best for you and your situation.

A closed and locked gate means nothing to people intending on doing harm or on stealing, especially when you can not see said gate from a main road.

In the state of GA you do not have to take a class to get your concealed license, so, well, there is no "teacher". There are hand gun safety courses you can take on your own, but they are not required.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Quote Originally Posted by relocatedTXjumpr View Post
    I just got my license and have been around guns all of my life, had safety courses, etc.

We have seen an increase of random people coming down our long driveway to our farm...Ive heard everything from "Need any work done?" to "Im looking for scrap metal" and since my husband travels for work, we decided I needed a handgun to keep on me, just in case.

I generally carry a shotgun around the farm but have switched over to a handgun as its easier to keep ON ME and def. a lot lighter to carry around.

Santa brought me a Taurus PT 740 Slim 40cal and after shooting it today, I am wondering if its too much gun...although it def. has the stopping power I was looking for.
    I have a "Lady Smith"
    http://www.gunshopfinder.com/smithan...wesson36LS.asp
    Not super light, but small enough to conceal and fit for a woman's hand.
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I carrierd a Browning 9mm for years but switched to a 40 cal

A closed and locked gate means nothing to people intending on doing harm or on stealing, especially when you can not see said gate from a main road.

In the state of GA you do not have to take a class to get your concealed license, so, well, there is no "teacher". There are hand gun safety courses you can take on your own, but they are not required.
    Sure, anyone may break and enter, but it is a first line of security, will stop some that will move on to where there is no locked gate.
    Any security measures don't mean you should not be alert and carry for those times other may not be enough.

Ask your sheriff or local police force what they recommend, or the closest gun club.
    In TX, to obtain a license, you have to take some classes and pass a firing proficiency test at three distances.
    Then you renew it every five years.

Do a little research on reliability of Taurus semi-autos, and then consider replacing it with a higher quality hand gun. Glocks, if they fit your hand are good. I have a Springfield XDm 9 that holds 19+1 that I love. Also have a Citadel 1911 in .45 ACP that rocks.

I have recently considered having a weapon, can you offer ideas for classes ? What caliber is useful for coyotes, gophers as both a deterent and to effectively get rid of them and scare away anyone that is threatening to me.

If you contact your friendly neighborhood firearms shop, they can usually suggest someone good to take a class from.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderluster View Post
    I have recently considered having a weapon, can you offer ideas for classes ? What caliber is useful for coyotes, gophers as both a deterent and to effectively get rid of them and scare away anyone that is threatening to me.
    .22 rifles are generally considered good starting guns and traditionally have been called "varmint guns".

As for classes, check with your LAs or any gun club near you or even gun stores.

There are serious safety concerns to learning how to handle, be sure of what is around you, aim and shoot.
    There are also some ethics to shooting, so you don't take bad shots that will just cripple, but learn to wait for the right shots.

It is all common sense, but somehow, many people don't seem to have that kind of common sense, so it is better to be sure and learn from someone with experience with handling and shooting guns, as you are doing.

I am wondering if its too much gun...although it def. has the stopping power I was looking for.
    Relo, sounds perfect to me - no such thing as too much gun when protecting yourself & your property (says me!). I know what you mean with peeps just showing up -legitimate or not - they're uninvited - and it's not as though you're in a subdivision where your neighbor can see/hear if anything fishy is going on.
    I'm armed, too...BTW...and a shooting range recently opened near our house!

No, but I just started the process to get my conceal and carry permit! YAYYYY! I'm so excited!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "While girls schools are notoriously wild, the true party-hearty girl attends Hollins" ~The Preppy Handbook

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by diKecnadnuS View Post
    No, but I just started the process to get my conceal and carry permit! YAYYYY! I'm so excited!!!
    I hope you aren't getting it here in NoVA. The local governments don't really take kindly to them.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    .22 rifles are generally considered good starting guns and traditionally have been called "varmint guns".

As for classes, check with your LAs or any gun club near you or even gun stores.

There are serious safety concerns to learning how to handle, be sure of what is around you, aim and shoot.
    There are also some ethics to shooting, so you don't take bad shots that will just cripple, but learn to wait for the right shots.

It is all common sense, but somehow, many people don't seem to have that kind of common sense, so it is better to be sure and learn from someone with experience with handling and shooting guns, as you are doing.
    Thank you Bluey, that is the advice I am seeking. I would rather lose a chicken or a shrub to a pest than be irresponsible and disrespect the seriousness of carrying a weapon.
    I have considered and dismissed the idea a number of times, I wrestle with my conscience about having the ability to end a life. That said I sure am getting past the killing of gophers and rats. hate em.

Just wanted to say... I'm getting my license on the 29th...
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!