The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default One of a kind homemade Christmas gift - I made another one! Post #15

I decided to make stall plaques for my neices' and my daughter's ponies for Christmas this year. I got a late start, so I'm not done (), but I have one finished, only I still need to seal the whole thing with an outdoor varnish of some sort. The pony whose plaque is complete is an adorable Haflinger named Applesauce owned by my 10 y.o. niece. He jumps out of all of our fields, including the stallion paddock, so I've depicted him doing just that. The seated palomino on the left is Hattie (12 y.o. niece's pony)and she's a bit of a snob, so she's unimpressed with Saucy's jump and gives him a low score. The 2 Shetlands at the bottm are Smokey and Dancer. They're indifferent to Saucy for the most part, but both are characters! The grey pony who is smiling and giving Saucy an enthusiastic 10 is my daughter's little guy, Pee Wee. He and Saucy are BESTEST buddies, hence the perfect score.
    I think my niece will love this and I had such a blast making it that I just had to share. What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Applesauce 2 small.JPG 
Views:	288 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	31556   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hattie 1 small.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	31566  
    Last edited by JackieBlue; Dec. 25, 2010 at 12:32 AM.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

Default cute

That is cute! i love the depiction.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

I think you knocked it out of the park They are wonderful and I think they will love them.

Gadzooks you are talented!
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

That is SO great! She'll love it!

Now THAT'S a present! Thoughtful and meaningful. That means more than anything store bought. You really captured the story!

My youngest daughter is artisitic, I have a big piece of blank slate w/ a hanger waiting for my next Xmas present!
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

Oh MY - that is too adorable!! And you are so freakin' talented!! I think however, that your niece will hate it and I'd be more than willing to take it off your hands b/4 you go to all the trouble of wrapping it.

PLEASE????

That is a terrific stall plaque but I would put that in the category of pure artistry and as such, it should hang on my wall in my home.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

That is wonderful! Do you hire your talents out? Really, I think you have the makings of a cottage company right there in your two hands!

P.S. I'm not kidding about the hiring yourself out part. I could use one of those for my horse. PM me if you are interested.

Very, very cute!!~

Heather

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Skeezix View Post
    I think you knocked it out of the park They are wonderful and I think they will love them.

ditto this

of course I would LOVE one of your wonderful tail hair bracelets too, they are gorgeous!!
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2 View Post
    That is wonderful! Do you hire your talents out? Really, I think you have the makings of a cottage company right there in your two hands!

P.S. I'm not kidding about the hiring yourself out part. I could use one of those for my horse. PM me if you are interested.
    PM me as well!! That is darling and I really wish that I had an ounce of talent in that direction.

Just wonderful!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

What a great gift!!!

THIS!!!!

Default Oh my,

Thank you all so much for all of the kind words and encouragement. I have been having a blast planning these plaques, photographing the ponies doing all kinds of things, sketching them, and now painting. It is so rewarding to find that you all think they're as special as I'd hoped they'd be.

I was busy today making another one for my niece, Shelby. Again, Shelby's pony, Hattie, would be one of the mean girls if she were in high school. She's a gorgeous blonde and she knows it. So I've depicted Hattie with some pink lip gloss on, puckered up and admiring herself in a tiny pond. The remaining cast of characters, Applesauce the Haflinger, Pee Wee the Welsh (grey) and Smokey and Dancer the Shetlands, are laughing and making fun, light heartedly of course. Here it is:

Oh, and to those who've expressed an interest in their own custom stall plaque, I think I would really enjoy making them to order. I have a nasty surgery coming up on January 10 (having 2 plates and 27 screws removed from my left tibia and fibula due to pain and bone infection) so I'll have some time on my hands.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hattie 1 small.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	31564  
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

Oh my gosh they are absolutely beautiful! You are very talented and what a wonderful imagination to come up with them! Your niece will love them! I know I sure would!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Hope I don't get JackieBlue in trouble for advertising but, for those of you who don't know, she makes gorgeous horse hair jewelry. I'm planning to have something made next year. Just waiting for my retired event horse's new mom to send me some of his tail hair.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

So cute! That is very creative, and they are waaay nicer then another stall plate company I see.

Way to cute! And beautiful. Wonderful work!

Those are great! Beautiful work.