The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is your horse a bit..well.. dented??

Do you have a horse who makes you question if he/she is dealing with a full deck up there? One who makes you ask "What are you doing now?"-insert horse's name here. Or, "How did you hurt yourself?"-and they are just standing in the pasture? Or even just makes you laugh every day by watching his/her simply get through another day?

I am not talking about some high strung, shot out of a cannon type of horse but rather one of those who is okay on the s-l-o-w side mentally. Completely harmless but needs someone to watch over him/her on a daily basis b/c he truly would not know how to come in out of the rain?

I have one. Theo was given to us a number of months ago to be a part of our Therapeutic program. Theo is an 11 year old TB. Believe it or not he did race! Theo had tie back surgery and can't whinny, just squeak. Theo stands in the pasture and plays with his tongue-A lot. And bob's his head in sets of three-A lot. You have to sometimes Wave and shout at Theo to get his attention to show him where his food is-even in his stall-we have corner feeders. When Theo gets excited his nose runs. I could go on but suffice it to say, "The sun is always shining in Theo's world"

I adore this horse! He makes me laugh, nothing bothers him, heck even the other horses in his pasture just know that Theo is just not all there. Honest they do. He's perfect for the program. He can be lightly ridden only b/c, yup you guessed it, he's got a stifle issues, a cyst on his stifle. Despite having a truly special needs (mentally and otherwise) horse here, where he fits right in, he's also perfect for our participants.

So any of you have a horse who's just a bit challenged?

I had a pony mare that was beyond stupid (which is why I sold her). She tried to jump out of the pasture (4'6"+ fencing). Tried. She was not super athletic and ended up somehow breaking a fence post at the base but otherwise made it over without any injuries. She was also very dumb when it came to jumping in the arena. There were times when she would leave out multiple strides. I don't mean she was running or had lengthened her stride that much, but she would just quite randomly jump from out of nowhere. She obviously thought she was MUCH more athletic than she really was.

We have a client's broodmare--she was kicked in the head as a foal and then ran headfirst into the fence as a yearling, and she is definitely a bit...special. She was born pigeon-toed and paddles, a lot. She carries her head at an angle and her bottom lip is very droopy. She also has a sarcoid in one ear now which seems to have made her deaf on that side, and slightly lop-eared. Sometimes I watch her trotting around out in the field and I have to laugh.

Despite all this, she's produced a number of foals, most of which have been winners at the track.

I did actually know one with a dent in her head--not sure if she was kicked or what, but it was a huge dent right between the eyes--but she was pretty normal despite that.

Nope, haven't had one of these special horses. But it sounds like you just gotta love them

oh yes, I had one TB born with a depressed sinus (due to inbreeding?) Very athletic jumper, I had a pic of David Green jumping him into water off a big set of steps, very impressive. Unfortunately he wasn't AS talented between the jumps. He managed to both fall on his side rather than jump a wall and just lie there on my leg for ages, and fall over and slide under a fixed fence on the way to another jump.
    We had an appreciative (read laughing hysterically) audience for both of these equine follies,the second of which involved me having to pull the stupefied equine physically from under the fence alternating between head and tail all the while hoping like hell he didn't wake up to the potential for destruction and get up under the fence under his own steam.
    This guy managed to never ever hurt himself, or me, so maybe he wasn't dumb, just differently abled?

I already LOFF Theo from your description. He sounds like an adorable doofy gem. We need a picture!

Ahh....The sweet but dim horses we love so much! My beloved Grover is like this. He is always getting injured, slow mentally and finds himself in all sorts of trouble. His twin is Forest Gump! He is great if I am telling him to do something but left to his own devices, there is trouble.

When I was training him we set up a round pen in the pasture. During the day we left the gate open so the horses would graze in it. If I called the horses, they would run out of it ready for dinner/snack. Not Grover! He would run around frantically looking for the exit! Mind you, he went in and out of the round pen the same way several times a day!

He has odd injuries, allergies, illnesses. He is allergic to DMSO, Tri-Hist, Sore No More and most shampoos dry out his skin. Currently he has a sarcoid that needs treatment at the vet hospital due to it location.

Did I mention I LOVE this horse!!!

I have a The Asil daughter (out of my mare Princess.) She is a carbon copy look alike of her sire but um, let's just say she's a few fries short of a happy meal. She's a very good horse and tries super hard, and is doing fabulously under saddle, but if one thing is out of place she has a heart attack-snorting and trembling and goggly-eyed. And sometimes she doesn't notice that her dinner is waiting after I ride her-she stands with her head out the window with what my friend has termed the "bewildered starving orphan face" like "Mom, I'm very hungry, I just don't understand why you won't feed me dinner? Wasn't I a good girl today, I tried really hard?"
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Yup. We know one of our racehorses isn't playing with a full deck. He has a tether ball, and the things he does with it leaves you knowing he's got a dimmer bulb but he's happy just the way he is. Ah, ignorance is bliss! I actually like him very much.

Quote Originally Posted by asb_own_me View Post
    I already LOFF Theo from your description. He sounds like an adorable doofy gem. We need a picture!
    Ditto this!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

My all time favorite school horse was like this. He was just a big, sweet, dumb goof. I adored that horse.

Inky's a little 'slow'. DD will show him something 10 times, and he just looks so confused when you ask him again. Rico pins his ears and gives him a good 5 minutes of warning that 'he's gonna get it' and he's oblivious, so he always looks like he's been through a war.

But you can't help but love him. He so obviously needs it because he's so 'special'.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Not really in that way, but I am totally stealing your terminology as it is perfect for my darling special needs boy! Fortunately I wouldn't have him any other way! (which is good, cause he's so aggravating sometimes that otherwise I'd probably kill him :-))

My friend has a mare at our barn that is... special. Basically she is just so quiet and accepting it's like she is a big stuffed animal. She is pregnant now and we joke that we won't be able to contact the stallion owner about the Live Foal Guarantee because it'll take us so long to know if the foal is "live".

She is just a darling though, and for being so still and quiet most of the time, she is surprising expressive. We moved horses around recently and took her out of the herd and put her in a big double stall. She wandered all around it with a totally wondrous look on her face as if to say "for ME? All of this for ME?" But this particular stall has a wooden hay feeder, and my friend had to lead the mare to it three meals in a row before she figured out that's where her hay was. And she looked so happy and relieved when she found the food there! Silly mare...
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

I have one - he's away at the trainer's and she very sheepishly told me one day, "we think he might be, well, dumb!" Like that was news to me.... if we moved his feed bucket, we'd have to show him for 3 days in a row where the grain was so he could eat it. Or if I took the other horse out of his stall and led him around the barn to the other side, the dumb one would nicker and nicker toward where the horse used to be, and couldn't figure out that the horse on the other side of the barn was the SAME horse! We were overfull at home for a bit and he had to live outside under the overhang, which we bedded and set up like a stall. Once he had a stall again, we took all the bedding out of the overhang and the stall was open for him -- but I'd find him sleeping out on the bare mats in the overhang...took him awhile to figure out he had his "bed" inside again.

I kind of like the dumb ones, however. The smart ones are the ones you really have to watch out for!

Well I'm not sure Penelope is dumb, she's quite clever with some things and she drives me mad. I check me electric fencing daily. But really there is no need because the min it's off she can be found pulling it out of all the little fence holder things. Sounds like pulling ribbon really fast out of it's holder and then she gallops with it across the field, proudly. Then when you go to fix it I obviously have to turn the power off and so a drama ensues on if I will be able to get fence fixed and power back on before she goes again. So gave her two soccer balls and she happily kicks them around all day.

She is always pulling her shoes off in the water pot. Hot rid of the big heavy plastic one for a more rubber type one and so that was getting dumped daily. And then she plays the " look at me I have been left with no water " . One of my barn mates said to me one day that I needed to start remembering to leave her water. Now water pot is in a tire.

She has been getting herself cast since the day she was born. Honestly she does it so often you just look away because she rights herself. Look I know what you all are thinking but I do check how she is stuck and I know the routine.

2 weeks ago was the last fence routine and my landlord was laughing at me trying to get the fence back up before she pulled it down again. I'm in a sort of huff yelling " why can't she be stupid and content to be a horse like the other ones! "

She is going off in January to start her breaking. In all honesty she needs something to keep her busy besides me. I do admire her though!

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Great stories everyone. I'll try to get a photo of him up on my facebook page and send the link here or send a photos to DressageGeek and I think she can post it.

He's truly a winner on our book. We do laugh at Theo and when you see the photos you'll see there's no doubt he is a bit dented.

Only thing in this house that meets the description is my cat.

But question.....anyone considering changing their horse's name to "Little Focker"

I had an OTTB mare we all agreed was the equine version of Dory, the blue fish from Finding Nemo. She was the happiest equine I've ever seen, largely because everything in the world went right over her head. Lalalalalala, just keep run-ning, lalalalala... She was a lovely ride, but if you were *too* quiet she'd forget you were up there. It was pretty comical to be repeating aids, trying to get her attention, and her response would be to look back over her shoulder and say "OH HAI! Where did you come from?"

A friend still has her. She's pushing 20 now, and still has the candle power of a mentally-challenged chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by classicsporthorses View Post
    Do you have a horse who makes you question if he/she is dealing with a full deck up there? One who makes you ask "What are you doing now?"-insert horse's name here. Or, "How did you hurt yourself?"-and they are just standing in the pasture? Or even just makes you laugh every day by watching his/her simply get through another day?

I am not talking about some high strung, shot out of a cannon type of horse but rather one of those who is okay on the s-l-o-w side mentally. Completely harmless but needs someone to watch over him/her on a daily basis b/c he truly would not know how to come in out of the rain?

I have one. Theo was given to us a number of months ago to be a part of our Therapeutic program. Theo is an 11 year old TB. Believe it or not he did race! Theo had tie back surgery and can't whinny, just squeak. Theo stands in the pasture and plays with his tongue-A lot. And bob's his head in sets of three-A lot. You have to sometimes Wave and shout at Theo to get his attention to show him where his food is-even in his stall-we have corner feeders. When Theo gets excited his nose runs. I could go on but suffice it to say, "The sun is always shining in Theo's world"

I adore this horse! He makes me laugh, nothing bothers him, heck even the other horses in his pasture just know that Theo is just not all there. Honest they do. He's perfect for the program. He can be lightly ridden only b/c, yup you guessed it, he's got a stifle issues, a cyst on his stifle. Despite having a truly special needs (mentally and otherwise) horse here, where he fits right in, he's also perfect for our participants.

So any of you have a horse who's just a bit challenged?
    hes not dented hes just knows himself well and tells the others hey look at me iam smarter than you lol

all horses and ponies have quirks irather ten of yours than 1 thats does dirty stops or such like
    but thats what makes them individual you never get two the same

Here's our boy. Definately never going to be Mensa material.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6UMkuLlJro