The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Default Diesel Drivers or "You don't know what you don't know"

So, I have a new to me truck and my first diesel. I have a couple questions. So far, I have stopped at stations that do not have a card reader on the the diesel pump. Is this SOP, or have I been unlucky?

Do they have card readers at the truck pumps at truck stops and is there any reason I shouldn't use the truck lanes?

Nothing I hate more than inefficient stops. At a Flying J, which I usually try to patronize, I had to stand in line to give my card, give a dollar amount, then stand in line to pay. Did I mention I HATE inefficient stops????

Anything else I need to know? LOVE the truck, otherwise.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Are you stopping at the commerical truckers line? :-) I've only not been able to use my credit card there as they are for the big semi's who seem to have credit lines or something to pay normally. Yes, you can use that pump and pay inside since you aren't a commercial trucker, but go to the 'car' area where there should be at least one diesel pump and a credit card reader. This is true at Flying J and other truck stops. After all, there are diesel cars too!

Actually getting out of your truck, walking into "Flying J", Petro, ....is good for you. It gives you an opportunity to stretch your legs, walk around your rig and check on things,....
    So it is not that inefficient after all.

My local station doesn't have a card reader on the diesel pump, but I just wave and they start it for me. When traveling there is usually a diesel pump with a reader on the end of the row of 'car' pumps -- I'm surprised Flying J didn't have one.

Yes, you can use the big truck pumps, but be careful because they flow much faster than the regular ones. And if you have to wait in line over there it takes a lot longer for one of the big trucks to fill up!

It's often easier to get the trailer in and out of the big-rig side.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Both of our vehicles are diesel. I'd say that 80% of the fuel stations I've visited in the last year or two had card readers on the pumps. Newer stations tend to have them, older do not.

Just be aware that some stations are still selling higher-sulfur diesel, which is not good for newer engines. There'll be a sticker on the pump letting you know if they're selling ultra-low sufur diesel.
    ---------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahsmom View Post
    Are you stopping at the commerical truckers line? :-) I've only not been able to use my credit card there as they are for the big semi's who seem to have credit lines or something to pay normally. Yes, you can use that pump and pay inside since you aren't a commercial trucker, but go to the 'car' area where there should be at least one diesel pump and a credit card reader. This is true at Flying J and other truck stops. After all, there are diesel cars too!
    That's what I thought, but I was in the car side since I wasn't towing. So far, the diesel pumps have been stand alone, no reader. I wondered if the truck lanes would have card readers since the car side didn't seem to.

Quote Originally Posted by jcotton View Post
    Actually getting out of your truck, walking into "Flying J", Petro, ....is good for you. It gives you an opportunity to stretch your legs, walk around your rig and check on things,....
    So it is not that inefficient after all.
    Jcotton, that's what I do while the gas is pumping. It's not like I can stay in the truck to pump gas with a card reader.

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoak View Post
    My local station doesn't have a card reader on the diesel pump, but I just wave and they start it for me. When traveling there is usually a diesel pump with a reader on the end of the row of 'car' pumps -- I'm surprised Flying J didn't have one.

Yes, you can use the big truck pumps, but be careful because they flow much faster than the regular ones. And if you have to wait in line over there it takes a lot longer for one of the big trucks to fill up!

It's often easier to get the trailer in and out of the big-rig side.

My little local station has a card reader, too so I have been surprised in my trip to find the lack. I was thinking the truck lanes would be easier in and out and thanks for the heads up on the flow rate. Yesterday, I waited while a guy practically gave his car a bath with the windshield squeegee. What, you can't pull up five feet????

Quote Originally Posted by WildBlue View Post
    Both of our vehicles are diesel. I'd say that 80% of the fuel stations I've visited in the last year or two had card readers on the pumps. Newer stations tend to have them, older do not.

Just be aware that some stations are still selling higher-sulfur diesel, which is not good for newer engines. There'll be a sticker on the pump letting you know if they're selling ultra-low sufur diesel.

Oh, good, so it sounds like bad luck on my part. The truck is a 2005 so I assume that's a newer engine. So the low sulfur is what I want to find and it has the sticker?

I think all on-road diesel is low-sulfur now.

One of the truck stops I go to adds 5% biodiesel to all the pumps - like it or not. Personally I haven't seen any problems. I've run higher biodiesel % without issue in my 2000 Ram.

I like the truck lane. I go in and give them a $ amount, pump, pull up to the yellow line, go back in and potty, get reciept & a drink/snack and I'm on my way. My gelding usually takes a pee-break while he's waiting

I find that around here too. Very annoying. The newer stations don't do it, so that's where i go.

Location, location, location. In the little hick town that I live in, both of the gas stations I use have readers on the diesel pumps. When I was on the road last fall--not far from shea'smom, in fact--I tried three stops off of the major interstate, and couldn't find a diesel pump, never mind a card reader (the poor person caravaning with me, driving a gas truck, had to follow along on this sideshow, bless her heart). Finally asked and got directions to go down a side road about 2 miles and found a perfectly nice (newer) station that has one (diesel pump and card reader). A friend, who travels that stretch often, has since told me which stop to use and where the convenient station is. And this is along a very well traveled stretch of interstate. Go figure. I've had my diesel truck for 13 years and this was the worst time I've had finding diesel.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Card readers on the diesel pumps here.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

I am also a new diesel truck owner (04 GMC Duramax 3/4 4x4). I found out the hard way (due to a faulty instrument cluster apparently common in that particular year) that running out of diesel is BIG deal. You can't just put more fuel in and go on your merry way. The engine has to be reprimed (or some such thing).

Soooo, don't run out of fuel!
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Are you at the pumps that are designated for off road diesel? Those typically stand alone away from all the other pumps and don't have card readers. They have diesel that is used for off road (tractors, generators etc). It is illegal to use that fuel in your vehicle if you use it over the roads. On regular diesel pumps that is for vehicles I've never ran into one that didn't have card readers. The exception is when the pumps are paired so you can fill up both your saddle tanks at the same time (when in a big rig. One side of the pair won't have the card reader.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

On the 'other things you should know' topic... DH insists that I let it idle for a few minutes before shutting it off. Something to do with letting the turbo cool off I think. It's such a habit now that I forget why.

The 'water in fuel' light is another important thing to know about. Find the owner's manual and learn how to drain the little cup if this happens.

And don't ever run it out of fuel. If you do, don't crank on it trying to get it started again or you can damage the engine. I'm under orders to have it towed if this happens and DH can't get there. (Well, preferably not to run out in the first place!)
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoak View Post
    Also be aware that the nozzle on the truck side pumps are a larger diameter and you may not be able to fit it in your fuel tank filler.

Every Flying J I've visited over the past two years we've had a diesel has had a card reader on the RV diesel island. That's where I usually go (unless it's full, the I use the regular pumps; it's been a while and I don't remember if commercial pumps had a reader or not).

I can't remember the last time I had to go inside to pay. We did a trip from East TN to San Angelo, TX last fall and all the stations we used had card readers on the pumps. I don't remember the brands.

The biggest problem I've found is that my debit card is limited to $75 per transaction and filling the tank at $3.00+++ per gallon often means I've got to run the card twice (or three times, if I'm filling the aux. tank). A credit card is generally not so limited, although I have run into $100 limits from time to time.

G.

Default Hate it when that happens

Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post

. Yesterday, I waited while a guy practically gave his car a bath with the windshield squeegee. What, you can't pull up five feet????
    or they leave the vehicle by the pump when they go in and get a snack, use the rest room, etc
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post
    Are you at the pumps that are designated for off road diesel? Those typically stand alone away from all the other pumps and don't have card readers. They have diesel that is used for off road (tractors, generators etc).
    Some of the gas stations that cater to truck drivers and auto drivers have regular, card reading pumps for John Q Public and separate pumps set aside in a roomier area for semi's and larger diesel vehicles. Around here at least, I think you'd have to go somewhere specific, like the place that sells heating oil, to get fuel meant for other uses.

Quote Originally Posted by cyriz's mom View Post
    I am also a new diesel truck owner (04 GMC Duramax 3/4 4x4). I found out the hard way (due to a faulty instrument cluster apparently common in that particular year) that running out of diesel is BIG deal. You can't just put more fuel in and go on your merry way. The engine has to be reprimed (or some such thing).

Soooo, don't run out of fuel!
    Not to hijack, but where have you been

OP- all good advice above. I'm on my 4th diesel truck. The town where I live (pop. about 20k) has about 50/50 card readers at the pumps for diesel. The closest station (OLD place) put in new pumps about 3yrs ago. I got all excited because they didn't have pay at the pump at all. Well, they replaced the gas pumps, but not the diesel
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I stop at truck stops frequently-and once they got to know me all I had to do was pick up the phone and have a conversation "Hi, I'd like a fill on 6 please, probably take about 80 dollars worth" and give my license plate number. Fill, pull forward a truck length so someone else can use the pump, then walk inside. Now the ladies at the one I stop at the most say "Hi doc, filling up?" when I pick up the phone.

I only have to walk in once to pay and go to the bathroom etc.

The truck pumps are high speed diesel, which you can use in a pinch but it takes longer to fill up because you have to be careful and go slow and it foams up a lot.

And I have run out of fuel before-it's not that hard to reprime your system if you know how. I recommend any one (man or woman) who drives a diesel frequently to have their mechanic show them how to reprime it.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.