The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: How much turnout do your horses get per day?

Voters
338. You may not vote on this poll
  • Horses live outside 24/7

154 45.56%
  • 12+ hours

67 19.82%
  • 6-11 hours

80 23.67%
  • 2-5 hours

31 9.17%
  • 1 or less hours

6 1.78%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default How much turnout?

How much turnout does your horse get per day? My BO does not seem to value giving horses a lot of turnout time for the horses at her barn. In addition there is only one 2acre pasture and a small outdoor riding arena available to use for t/o for the 35+ horses on the property. My friend and I arranged to do self t/o so that our horses can be outside 6-8hrs/day weather permitting and people complain from time to time that our horses "don't like being outside and want to come in." They are always given hay/water so they have something to do even after all the grass has been eaten up. We disagree and think it is healthy for them to be out instead of standing in their stalls all day. (My horse gets stocked up and my friend's gets a cough from being indoors.) Horses are meant to be outside. Our horses would receive 1 or less hours of t/o per day if we did not take matters into our own hands. How do you feel about the t/o your horses receive?

Wow........35 horses and 2 acres????!!!!! Thats insane! How can they all possibly get outside for any length of time? Thats way too many horses for that size turnout. I can't imagine 35 boarders feeling its okay for their horse to be inside most of the time. I would be looking elsewhere!

Most of them aren't boarders, they're lesson horses.

Oh, I see. Anyway.....its still crazy!! I think its healthiest for the horse to be outside! Mine go out in the morning and unless the bugs are driving them nuts or its bad weather, they are out till 3:00 pm. Its just not healthy to be locked in a box all day.

10 of the 39 (I just counted them up) horses are boarders and most of the boarders are not as proactive about their horse's care as we are.

Thats too bad. Your horses are lucky you care enough to kick them out!! Mine will stand by the gate at times, but when they realize I'm not bringing them in, they find something to do. Kinda like kids!!

Yowsers!!! 35 horses with only one turnout pasture of 2 acres? Doesn't matter what they do, horses still need turnout... it's so unhealthy for them to be cooped up in a stall for 23 hours per day.... I would not be boarding there either.

There are other turnouts, just the 2 acre one is the biggest. Most of the barn horses are turned out for an hour or two. Boarders are turned out for about the same unless their owners want them out more. My horse will stand at the gate if he sees you coming, but he'll go occupy himself if he realizes he's not coming in.

Default 1 acre per horse min. if possible

My 3 boys go out on about 4 acres of grass for 12 hours with free choice stalls, which they use for naps. At night they each have a large run with free choice stalls and a tiny bit of grass to nibble (lots of hay of course).

They have been very happy this way and at night I separate the young TB from the old boys so they get a break. During the day the TB keeps the old boys moving which is good exercise for them.

My new property is only 5 acres but will have the same set-up. Wouldn't buy or rent property without turnout/grass or we would all go crazy. IN fact I will be living in a double wide so my horses can have a new fancy barn and the pasture.

Yea, who wears the pants in my family?? THE Boys!
    Ready ~ 1999-2009 ~ you were bigger than life!
    Stickers ~ 1985-2011 ~ Cody's BFF
    I miss you both very much!

I don't know where you are boarding in Buffalo, but it is a trend around here.

Why a lot of boarding stables won't turn out for more than a few hours, I am not sure. It isn't like we have a shortage of land or grass.

The other thing up here is that even if a place WILL offer long turnouts in good weather, often times the horses will get NO turnout in bad weather, and will just be cross-tied to have their stalls done, etc.

Honestly, when I've had horses that had specific turnout needs, I've sought out private barns that are more willing to accommodate and offer 12-24 hours of turnout.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

outside 24/7, only in for feeding (less than an hour) and in inclimate weather, and a little rain doesn't count.

I feel its better for them, they have access to shelter outside both in a run-in shed and the bush.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

I like my horses to be out at least "all day"... breakfast to dinner time, or vice versa, depending on the season and circumstances. I will keep them out 24/7 if it works for the particular horse, barn, and routine... I think that's best for them, but it doesn't suit every situation, horse, and owner. I can deal with 6+ hrs of turnout if that's really all they can get, and the individual horse is OK with that arrangement, but I'm generally in with the "more turnout is better" crowd.

My horses are out 24/7 when at home... one is currently out for training, and is out nearly 24/7, except for mealtime and yucky weather (at the BO's discretion) which I think is fabulous. Prior to going there he was boarded, and out about 10-12 hrs a day.

I've done the many many horses on very few acres thing, and the fact of the matter is the horses just don't get out much. I grew up riding at a place that had about 56 horses and 6-8 paddocks and turnout fields, the largest of which was probably about 2 acres. Most of the boarders went out individually in paddocks for an hour or two a day, a few went out in groups of 2 or 3 in the larger fields for an hour or two daily. The school horses rarely went out, but they were working 2-3 hours a day and seemed to deal pretty well. I don't really agree with that style of horse management (one of those school horses that never went out is now out 24/7 in my backyard) but it is done in some places and the horses do OK if that's what they're used to. In or around many urban areas this is simply the best you can do.

I've also known a lot of owners (in various disciplines, but mostly people with show horses, from low level ammies to BNT's) who DO NOT WANT their horses out with other horses, for more than an hour or two, or in a larger turnout field, regardless of what is available to them. I won't even get into how I feel about this

7am/8am-7pm/8pm.

With winter on the way this may change a little. We're working on winterizing a bit so they can get out in safe paddocks without trashing the fields, so depending on how far we get...will determine how much turnout there is this winter.

All our horses are outside 24/7 year round 90 above or -35 we have no health problems and I've just never read any reserch thats found its healthy for a normal healthy horse to be locked up inside or in small paddocks as opposed to large pastures.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

My TB mare lives out 24/7. She is on about 4 acre grass pasture with one other horse. There is a nice run in shed if she wants to use it. I find that my mare is happier when out all the time, and is much more manageable to ride.

24/7, 365 regardless of the weather. It's what they're used to and they enjoy it and get accustomed to the seasonal changes and so forth. They're only round bales and get grain/pellets a.m. and p.m. I have owned one my horses for 16 years and he's only been in a stall once in that time period. He had a fairly deep laceration that needed to be kept clean and it wasn't in an area that could be wrapped. He got to be hand walked and turned out for a little while each day a couple times of day, plus hosed when needed. He handled it A LOT better than I ever imagined and was even a tidy stall horse.

Mine aren't worked regularly either so the 24/7 thing works to keep them moving and in some type of shape... lol...
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

24/7
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

What's turnout? Horses belong outside unless theres a medical problem.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

Default He lives outside

This spring I moved him to a great facility that has unbelievable pastures.
    I mean real goregous grass.
    I Started out trying to have him on stall board, out all day in at night,
    BO could not catch him. he refused to come in after a week or so.
    Hes doing great, he is not competing anymore and he is also more sound than when I was last competing him
    Best thing in the world!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I would love to have mine out 24/7 but unfortunately I no longer own my own land, and want to stay with my trainer so I'm compromising. I wish that they got to go out more in inclement weather, because I've always had outside horses, and I'm not thinking that a bit of rain will melt them, no matter HOW witchy they're being that particular day. When I'm not there to turn them out, though, they don't go out in the rain.

I would also love more pasture (they have about an acre for the two of them) with actual grass, but there are too many horses at our barn for this to happen. So when I'm there during the daytime I always graze them in the riding field. They act better with more turnout - the old man doesn't really care, although he needs it for his arthur-itis, but the young guy NEEDS to work out his issues somewhere other than under saddle!