The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone you know getting a pony for Christmas?

The article on the front page made me remember the surprise of getting my mare one January for my birthday. How many Christmases before that had I imagined in complete detail my father surprising me with a horse (in my fantasy it was a palomino QH type - in reality I got a 17h liver chestnut OTTB whacko mare).

I'd love to hear stories of anyone who is getting a pony for their child or grandchild this christmas, and how you plan to deliver it.

Would also love to hear stories of Christmas Ponies Past.

Hey Vicarious Christmas Ponies are almost as fun as Personal Christmas Ponies.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Not this Christmas, but three years ago- I gave my daughter her first horse. She thought we had picked her up as a lesson pony for the barn and she was her "project" to work with. Her barn name is Mallie and she had given her the show name "Diamonds Please". For Christmas, i had a beautiful picture of her kissing the pony and a wooden frame made that said "Every girls deserves Diamonds for Christmas, Merry Christmas Sweetheart, this Diamond belongs to you!"... I made her wait to open the "best present in the world" and if you see the video, you can see that it really was ;-)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vE_LnySSbc

Awww, what a great video!

I had to laugh at the box though...did you superglue it shut? Making that adorable little girl work that hard for her pony...tsk tsk!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

When I was 2 and a half I got a little pinto pony for Christmas. The only thing I remember was after they put him back in the trailer to take him to where we were boarding (we didn't have property at that point) I stood on the side of the trailer and peered in at him. But, my parents went and got this pony from a dealer my mom had worked for years before. They picked this pony because it was the only one they could touch in a stall full of ponies. Brought him home, not sure if he was broke, his age, anything about his history, and my cousin rode him for a few months before they gave him to me. Christmas morning my mom's best friends, who are Jewish so they weren't missing their Christmas, dressed up as santa and walked my pony down the drive way with saddle and bridle.

I named him "Double" and he was a great little pony. He learned a few naughty pony tricks, but always took care of me-even if he was dumping me, he did it "gently". I don't know if I even knew I wanted a pony at this point, but my mother would not have it any other way and at 21 I am still hooked!

Double and I Christmas morning:
    http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/z.../Belles014.jpg

DD is getting part of a horse if that counts. Talked to grandpa and he fronted the money for DD to have a full year's lease on the lovely horse she's been riding for the past couple of months. Hopefully we will be able to buy the mare eventually. I will ask the owner if I can post the pic of the pair. She has no idea yet. I love the superglued box that gave me all sorts of awesome ideas.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

What a fun thread!

I loved the video. It took a while to sink in, and when she thought she knew what it might mean, she didn't want to get her hopes up until someone said it out loud. So sweet!

Default Matching Ponies!

We have a Christmas Suprise Pony this year! It's for my sister... and a half sister to my GRP. Now we'll have matching ponies!

Did I mention that we're 22 and 23? Never too old for a Christmas pony!

I love these stories! I am a grown women with a child, and I STILL hope that someone will surprise me with a horse for Christmas. Just last night, my husband joked: maybe your boss will ride down the driveway with a horse for you as a bonus on Christmas morning. Ha -- I wish!

But my parents did surprise me with my first fancy show pony for my fifth birthday. The party was at an old fashioned soda fountain / ice cream parlor, and after cake, everyone ran to the window because my father was standing in the parking lot waving with my new pony and lots of carrots for me and my friends to feed him. Needless to say, there were many unhappy parents that day!

I hope no one I know is getting a pony for Christmas because I will have to take care of it and it is TOO COLD!!!!!
    Free bar.ka and tidy rabbit.

"Double" was adorable!
    "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

This is the first year in many that I haven't had a person buy a horse from me for Christmas for their kid or spouse. I always love it when they send pictures of them getting their gift!

Default First Visit!!

Well, my sister got her Christmas pony!!!! And today was her first official Christmas Pony visit (Pony is in training 3 hours away).
    I think that she and Pony are going to do quite well together after Pony finishes her remedial training! (Wish we had know what a snot she was when buying her... still would have bought her. Just would have liked the heads up!) Fortunately she's with a great trainer, and should be as good as you can expect a three year old to be after another month or so of remedial work. Good thing my sister likes horses/ponies with a little attitude

My youngest dd did. She knew about it, and was able to work with her some (but not much). She technically is a pony too-14 hands and 1/2 inch high of liver and white tovero pony MARE. DD said she is not a pony, nor a hony, she is a PORSE. I say she is a brat, but she is loved. Jamie is too old for dolls any more, but she does not let that stop her from dressing that pony up. She has mauve wraps, mauve saddle pad, and mauve bridle.This is the same little girl who had a pink saddle for her last pony. Miss Skye gets bows put on her all the time...oh the ideas I have for them...

What is funny is that she was originally started by the people that we bought her from as a cutter, sold and retrained as an English pleasure (and supposedly jump), then because of an issue with an 8 yr old kid getting kicked in the pasture, came back to our barn where the same guy tried to put her back into cutting. She is having none of it. Jamie is looking at her for barrels and maybe breakaway roping, but not ruling out Equitation/Eng. pleasure. She has the cutest left lead canter I've seen in a while.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown