The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cows plus my big red TB = CHAOS!

So I took Trav to school today at the big huge covered arena about 40 mins from my house. You can see the arena here:
    http://www.westwindky.com/facilities.html

He is very used to going there and was absolutely wonderful under saddle today - but that is another story

As we were getting ready to load (whish he is usually super about, I taught him to self load which has been a wonderful tool), there suddenly were cows in the field next to where the trailer was. WELL those cows just made his little TB screw come totally loose! He is normally VERY sane and thinks about things and spooks at almost nothing so I have never seen him so worked up - it was funny at first. Then it was pretty annoying since the cows had him so spazzed that he would.not.load. Fun times! He even got loose once which then made me drive my entire rig in the covered arena so he at least couldn't get loose on the farm and slip on the ice. He kept staring at the cows and then just flipping out. Took an hour of looking at them and snorting and such before he would chill enough to get in the trailer. He's gonna sleep well tonight, LOL!

Anyone else have cow + horse stories? Or horse + any other animal that your horse just thought was going to EAT them? Silly horses.

For my old horse growing up, it was sheep. I was trail riding at the time. He took one look at them and the we were heading in the opposite directions. Nothing I could do about it.

My TB is NOT IMPRESSED by the barn goat or chickens unless he's undersaddle. The goat doesn't move when people are riding and likes to nap in the indoor. We've nearly jumped her a couple of times. Chickens are only OK if they're near his nose and he can snuffle them. Otherwise they're beyond terrifying. He's been at the farm for close to 2 years now, and passes the goat and chicken at least 4 times a day.

There's a spot on one of the trails that goes past mini donks and sheep--NOT COOL under any circumstances. This is the only place on the trail where he won't lead--including through water, over roads, over wooden bridges, past hay-baling equipment while it's in use......

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

No big stories but I do have a client who owns two male peacocks! Can you imagine your horse coming upon one of those in full spread?
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

I was trail riding with my BO a couple of summers ago, me on my Chessie Appx mare who works her hardest everyday to live up to the CM TB thing, BO on her homebred Paint/Arab gelding. We come upon some goats and sheep, my mare isn't so happy about going past them, but I won that discussion , BO's gelding, who is normally the nosiest, most curious, pretty unflappable but high strung (does that make ANY sense?!), sees those sheep and goats and FLIPS OUT!!!!!! Spinning, eyes wide, nostrils flared, backing as fast as possible.Now we have ridden down the stone road, past the house that owns the goats, which are on the far side of the house, a hundred times, ridden around the front too. So obviously the gelding had SMELLED the many many times, but the SIGHT of those carnivorous, flesh eating, spiky fanged, blood sucking, chupacabra wannabe goats, just sent him over the edge.

Gotta LOVE 'em!!!

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

I had a 16hh, built like a tank QH/APHA that was scared to death of minis. A barn I boarded him at once bred them, and I remember going down to ride him one day. He was turned out in a one acre field with two other horses, I could see the two others, but no Spice. Lo and behold there he was, pinned in the corner of the paddock by five minis. They looked like they were enjoying every minute of it.

I have to say, definitely not one of his most stud-like moments. Everyone still gets a chuckle out of it though.

Same BO and I got chased by a couple Turkeys, birds, not idiots, once.

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Loving these stories! Makes me feel better for my silly horse having a spaz attack

We have goats next door, he has no problem with them, even the first day he saw them - he looked, but he didn't FLIP!

I think the peacocks would get any of them, that's not something you see, well, ever!

Quote Originally Posted by stillknotreel View Post
    I had a 16hh, built like a tank QH/APHA that was scared to death of minis. A barn I boarded him at once bred them, and I remember going down to ride him one day. He was turned out in a one acre field with two other horses, I could see the two others, but no Spice. Lo and behold there he was, pinned in the corner of the paddock by five minis. They looked like they were enjoying every minute of it.

I have to say, definitely not one of his most stud-like moments. Everyone still gets a chuckle out of it though.
    That is so funny and I can totally picture it! Poor big guy, he didn't want to mess up and have someone shrink him too

My old man Sterling, who just crossed the Rainbow Bridge in October, SWORE that sheep ate little white horses. I never could get him past a small farm that had them, and it was the only way to get to my favorite trail. Ironically, when I finally bought my own home, built a barn and brought him home 7 years ago I also brought home my goats that I had left at my parents' house. Yep, fat little Pygmy goats that he loved SO MUCH that he would let them steal his grain and eat hay standing underneath his belly.

Before him was the near-leopard Appy/Clyde gelding, Pete, I had years ago. He was about 25 at the time when I moved to New Hampshire and brought him with me. I was in graduate school and working for peanuts at the humane society, but there was a fenced field with the cottage we rented. For some reason I didn't really have any tack at the moment that fit him so I would ride him bareback all over the place (16.2 and shark finned, ah I was young). One day we were riding in the woods and he saw his first deer. That old fart spun so fast and galloped the mile home as fast as he could. There was no way I was stopping him because I was hysterically laughing and holding onto his mane for dear life!
    Grab mane and kick on!

Don't worry, in time your big red TB will get used to cattle: http://i51.tinypic.com/29na23n.jpg

Amastrike's big (err... fat) red TB mare is in foal to a big polled Hereford bull named Howard. They are so in love. She keeps saying she's in foal to a connemarra but the TB is way too big to be in foal to a pony.

There were peacocks at the barn where we boarded, and they terrified my TB gelding! Though I think he had a fear of birds in general. We were riding in the ring when day when a blue heron flew overhead. From his reaction, he truly thought it was a pterodactyl swooping down to eat him!!

Same horse, two different stories. Odin was an OTTB that I got at 5yo. We primarily did dressage but I love riding out. So I tried hard to make him a trail horse but it just wasn't to be. We had miles of trails just outside the gate but he was never happy out there. And he became TOTALLY convinced the world was going to kill him specifically the day the wild turkeys rained out of the trees I didn't realize they roosted up in the trees and would all plop down squawking when startled

His other bugaboo was white ponies. Not any ponies, just white ones. I have no idea why though. I remember warming up at one of his first shows, we were just doing crossrails for old folks and some U/S classes. There was a White Pony warming up at the same time and kept ending up right beside us. Poor Odin's eyeballs were popping out of his head and he tried so hard but dammit, that pony was everywhere He lived with the ponies in the diet pasture (he also had NO herd behavior skills and the big guys tore him up) and eventually we got a White Pony mare. He cowered from that silly old thing forever!

I can totally see one poor guy surrounded by evil minis, with them giggling all the while

My first horse was a young TB that I got when I was 14. In fact there were a group of us around the same age that had young TBs(obviously none of our parents were horsey people!).

Anyway we would ride near a game reserve and the hill we liked to gallop up boardered the buffalo pen. None of our horses seemed to mind and we would even stop to lean down and pet the bison if they were along the fence. Yeah, I know, not the smartest thing to do. None of our horses seemed to mind and I am quite certain to this day that the fact that we were all to stupid to think our horses might spook is why they never did.

One of the young TBs in this group had moments, and my favorite was when a cop drove up right along side us to tell us we shouldn't be riding on that particular road(we did not know, and never did again), and he used his loudspeaker instead of just rolling down the window to talk to us. Said horse nailed the side of the car. Idiot! Nope, we did not get in trouble, he did. He could have gotten one of us thrown with that stunt.

My first jumper pony came from a posh barn to our house with sheep, hogs, cattle. Wasn't bothered by anything til a Sow went running by. She CLEARED a 4' hotwire fence WITH a blanket on HAHA.

My OTTBs all "work" cattle (by rider direction!) and live with cattle, but on days they're feeling especially good, they've never seen cattle before and are terrified HAHA.

My red mare would NOT GO NEAR ponies/donkeys when I first got her off the track. They terrrrrrified her. She seems ok now, but we haven't been around any especially small ponies as of late haha.

When I was a teen I PB'd an OTTB who was DEATHLY afraid of cows. He hardly ever spooked, was level headed and thought before reacting, unless cows were involved. If he saw a cow, he'd completely lose his mind. I can't tell you how many times he nearly fell into a ditch or walked sideways into a tree because he HEARD a cow.

One time we were hacking along a road (pretty quiet usually) and we were passing a farm we knew to have cows (as long as I tucked his head really far up his friends butt and didn't let him look around, things were alright) so we got "into position" and don't you know the farmer switched fields early~ he'd moved those scary spotted 4 legged freaks into the pasture across the road!
    Well it was too late, he saw them and lost it, full on four legs flying scramble as far away from those spotted freaks as he could get, unfortunately there was a transport truck headed our way and nothing I could do would get him to move in any direction, he was determined to tap dance his fear away I think....the poor truck driver he couldn't see us around the curve, until there was NO way he coulda stopped although we could hear him. It's all a bit blurry but from what I've pieced together I put that big goofy chicken onto MY back and carried him off the road into the ditch! (truthfully, I have NO idea how we didn't get run over)

No matter what we did with him, he was terrified of cows forever! His owner put him in a field with a few cows, he stood in a corner, shaking, refused to drink/eat or move. She moved him back to his friends within 24 hours. It wasn't important to her, in every other way he was great.
    Last edited by Seriously_Hunter; Dec. 23, 2010 at 12:29 AM. Reason: spelling

My horse was "distracted" by the cows in the paddock next to us, I've turned him out with them and he was cured of his ailment in 24 hours..

Always a fun time when introducing horses (cutting bred at that) to buffalo Cows... all over them , buffalo ( yearling heifers) whole nother story! They got over it pretty quickly and it made them better cutters in the long run too.

Well while guiding in the mountains, always ran into things which depending on horses could get a reaction but most were alright with. Everything from bears(black or grizzly), bikes and the ever annoying dogs off leash in a national ( who does this when clearly there are bears and cougars regularly seen????!!!! Not to mention horse who will and want to step on them and herd them back to their idiot owners! )

THe best is my guide horse who rock solid with bears, deer jumping out etc but umbrella or baby strollers not so much. Do give horse credit a few of the baby stroller are normally running at him full speed while yelling " Look at that horsey!!!" And normally happen on the narrow section of trail with a steep cliff on one side.

Wouldn't trade him for the world , best guide horse ever even with all of his quirks.

P.

My gelding gets snorty when butterflies get too close to his face. He doesn't spook unless one lands on him.
    Gunshots? Fireworks? No problem. Butterflies? Demons.
    Another horse is terrified of puddles. Ponds are fine, puddles are not. I suspect it was because the ponds were shaded so there was no reflection.
    They're fine with cattle.