The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Has anyone bred to Escudo I?

I'm thinking of breeding to Escudo I. it. I would be interested in semen quality. I'm also wondering what the foals were like and if anyone has pictures. TIA.

I have a mare bred to Escudo I that should be foaling in the next couple weeks.
    I am very excited to see this foal.
    His semen was fabulous.

Scott Stewart has/had a ton of the Escudos...he is campaigning a stallion now by Escudo named Be Cool. Also, Escapade at Barrington Hill is by him. I have a client with a lovely Escudo gelding as well. From what I have seen, Escudo throws a refined, typey, athletic body and usually gives them his pony head with big cheeks! They seem to all move great and have super natural jumping technique, very round and tight in the front. The one thing about them though is that they are SMART so they need to be in the right hands. On the right mare, he is a lovely stallion. Good luck!

My old mare was bred to him and became pregnant with just half a dose (frozen semen). She delivered a lovely colt who is now 3 and is as easy as can get to deal with. A real gem. Beautiful conformation and ground covering movement. Learns quickly. Comfortable to ride. Very modern type. I would certainly not hesitate to breed another mare to Escudo I.

We have not bred to Escudo I but have a young horse by him that we love. Easy to train, quiet, very very pretty, typey and compact, big gaits/movement and a wonderful easy horse to take to a show and he loves it. Temperment good for both an Amateur and serious Professional to ride and show.

The frozen semen, I understand, is very good.
    Robin Stewart
    www.woodsendfarm.com

An Escudo I colt was the Ch. Colt at the 2008 AHS Inspection at SVE, bred by Megan Vincent. Very very nice colt!

Here's a link to the inspection photos
    http://tamarawiththecamera.smugmug.c..._b5uhq#P-11-15

Quote Originally Posted by avadog View Post
    I'm thinking of breeding to Escudo I. it. I would be interested in semen quality. I'm also wondering what the foals were like and if anyone has pictures. TIA.

Breeding to him this week.....probably in the next two days. Think fertile thoughts please!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Breeding to him this week.....probably in the next two days. Think fertile thoughts please!
    Nice, where did you get the semen if you don't mind asking. I still need to buy some. Sending you fertility thoughts.

Nice, where did you get the semen if you don't mind asking. I still need to buy some. Sending you fertility thoughts.
    Thank you!

I ordered mine through Kevin at Classic Sires. Very nice and easy to work with.

http://www.lucchettiranch.com/classic_sires.html

There are a few places that you can order from and all seemed very similar in price. I went with Kevin because they had some doses in stock here in the US already so if the timing got off on the shippment from Europe, he would have been able to cover me for the breeding this spring.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Classic Sires has a 10% off sale on semen. I think the ordering deadline is 4/26.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

17 yo mare, two cycles, one dose each cycle within 2h post ovulation, flush at 6 days (1st try) and 7 days (2nd try), no embryo recovered either try. Have heard his frozen semen is good. Mine were 0.5ml straws with 3 straws/dose ordered in 2008. I suspect those using half a dose had the 8 straw doses used before 2007 or so (i think).

Still, I really like Escudo I. I also like Escudo II, who stands in the US at Rainbow Equus Meadows and is statistically (Hanoverian Breed Values) as good as (if not better than) Escudo I. Frozen from Edgar at REM came in 5ml straws at 1 straw/dose, $477/dose. Inseminated 1st mare (different from above) last Thursday. Semen looked good under the scope (so did Escudo I's). fingers crossed...

Potentional added benefit of frozen from Escudo II - cost can be applied to cost of fresh/cooled semen if mare doesn't take with frozen. Contigent upon reasonable restrictions I'm sure. Hoping not to need to find out exactly what those are.

Quote Originally Posted by 4M Perennial Farm View Post
    17 yo mare, two cycles, one dose each cycle within 2h post ovulation, flush at 6 days (1st try) and 7 days (2nd try), no embryo recovered either try. Have heard his frozen semen is good. Mine were 0.5ml straws with 3 straws/dose ordered in 2008. I suspect those using half a dose had the 8 straw doses used before 2007 or so (i think).

Yeah...I'm not messing with half doses. We will breed with two doses---one before ovulation and one post and sandwich it. Mare caught first time using frozen in this way in 2007 so I'm hopeful. Yesterday she had two folicles at 32....we will see what she has today.

Quote Originally Posted by 4M Perennial Farm View Post

Still, I really like Escudo I. I also like Escudo II, who stands in the US at Rainbow Equus Meadows and is statistically (Hanoverian Breed Values) as good as (if not better than) Escudo I. Frozen from Edgar at REM came in 5ml straws at 1 straw/dose, $477/dose. Inseminated 1st mare (different from above) last Thursday. Semen looked good under the scope (so did Escudo I's). fingers crossed...

Potentional added benefit of frozen from Escudo II - cost can be applied to cost of fresh/cooled semen if mare doesn't take with frozen. Contigent upon reasonable restrictions I'm sure. Hoping not to need to find out exactly what those are.
    I don't think they are that similar. I think hunter people want Escudo I not Escudo II as much. I think Escudo II is a lot smaller also. I've never seen an Escudo II in a hunter barn. Maybe if I was going for a jumper or event horse I would like Escudo II better. Maybe with Escudo II here it will change.

Escudo I is a proven sire of successful hunters. That is what I am breeding for so I chose Escudo I over II since I have not seen or heard of EII hunters.

There is a lot of interest in the Escudo I's. I have had several people want to purchase in utero but this is suppose to be my keeper filly.

I don't think they are that similar. I think hunter people want Escudo I not Escudo II as much. I think Escudo II is a lot smaller also. I've never seen an Escudo II in a hunter barn. Maybe if I was going for a jumper or event horse I would like Escudo II better. Maybe with Escudo II here it will change.
    Well, it is a little early to compare the 2 full brothers directly in relation to their ability to sire hunters. Because, as of 2008, EI had sired 1371 offspring registered with the Hanoverian Verband while his younger brother EII had only 421 offspring. It is often hard for younger brothers to get as many mares as their older full sibling, thus the difference. In most of the Jahrbuch Hensgste breed values, EII offspring score higher than EI offspring. Both produce jumping scores significantly above average.

Yes, EII is smaller, but for large mares, a smaller stallion is a good thing.

So by chance alone, hunter buyers looking in Europe would be MUCH more likely to stumble across an EI offspring than an EII offspring.

Interesting....I don't know anything about Escudo II so can't comment there....but I had no idea Escudo I was desirable as a hunter sire. He was suggested to me by my trainer (eventer) because he has a 3 year old by Escudo I out of a similar mare to mine that he really likes. My mare is a TB with a good mind, scopey jump and very good movement but is a bit refined and a little long in the top line. We are breeding for an UL event horse....so both jump and movement as well as ridability (and smarts/instincts) are important. So we were focused mostly on good generalist stallions (ones who can produce both dressage and jumpers).

It is good to know though that if the youngster doesn't want to be an event horse...there is a chance it will want to be a hunter. Now fingers crossed she catches, fully cooks the baby and it turns out straight and healthy! Wish it didn't take so darn long.....

There are several succesfull hunters by both E I and E II besides top dressage and jumpers or eventers.

Edgewood has a good point that E II has only a third the offspring compared to his big brother so probably less of them went to the US and when he was imported a few years back USEF hunter sires list showed E I 12th and E II 17th both topped by their sire Espri at 7th. Not a significant difference and actually when we picked him up in LA and spend the week-end at the LA National we found Nick Karisisis and 2 other trainers with E II hunters in their barns. Let's face it - E I - E II - most riders would not know the difference or significance of the numbers.

Alas, last years E II crop showed consistently incredible types with very fancy movers several of which are going to be hard to beat in the hunter ring.
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    There are several succesfull hunters by both E I and E II besides top dressage and jumpers or eventers.

Edgewood has a good point that E II has only a third the offspring compared to his big brother so probably less of them went to the US and when he was imported a few years back USEF hunter sires list showed E I 12th and E II 17th both topped by their sire Espri at 7th. Not a significant difference and actually when we picked him up in LA and spend the week-end at the LA National we found Nick Karisisis and 2 other trainers with E II hunters in their barns. Let's face it - E I - E II - most riders would not know the difference or significance of the numbers.

Alas, last years E II crop showed consistently incredible types with very fancy movers several of which are going to be hard to beat in the hunter ring.
    What are the names of the EII hunters in their barns?

I have an E II filly to die for at the moment. Perfect hunter type movement and built like a brick house with a totally unflappable temperment. It just doesn't get much better. Can't wait till she grows up and I can campaign her.
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

King of Hearts, Marshall, Red Carpet, Role Model, think Marshall was with Nick , there are quite a few more I can't think of now and besides almost all the hunters are shown under names not on the registration papers which all start with an E.

Europa, I have one that fits exactly your description and she is so not worried about anything it is funny, besides she was the only weanling that could chop up a carrot in 10 seconds, her mother is pretty but worried about everything. Muscled like a working hunter, should do the hunter breeding with her...
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers