The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cavalor making grain

Anyone feeding the Cavalor grain? Reviews???? The rep came out today and the price tag is a bit shocking ($27-30/bag) but wanted to hear the reviews first.
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

bump
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

You can try a search, there's been a few threads on it.

This one has some intersting info.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...hlight=cavalor

I used to feed cavalor grain, I realy liked it when it was available and it wasnt moldy. I would consider feeding it again if it was manufactured in the states.

It is now being produced in the states. I live near Aiken SC and we just got news that two of our feed stores will be carrying it. I'm a believer in Pennfield but may pick up a bag for a try.
    Mollie Zobel Eventing
    Rocky Swamp Farm
    Springfield, SC
    www.molliezobeleventing.com

Hi Molly,

Hope you are doing well. Glad you noticed the new feed stores! I am managing Cavalor NA these days, and I think you will be really happy if you give it a try. I had great success with my own horses, which is what prompted Nathalie and I to get involved with the company.

Cavalor is now based in Georgia, and we are ready and able to service any of your needs. All the best: Michael Pollard 855-cavalor

Cavalor.us

Hi Michael, welcome to the forum.

Any idea if cavalor will be coming up with a low starch low sugar feed?
    It looks like all your feeds have a sugar + starch of 30% and above.
    Any thought about a feed in the range of 15% & lower, so we have something comparable to Triple Crown Low Starch & Lite.

I seem to think Cavalor is great for hardworking horses, but what would you suggest for the pleasure horse with metabolic issues?

Edited to add, Sorry Michael I just noticed your reply re sugar/starch on the other thread .

Cavalor strucomix is an excellent choice. Although the labeled starch levels are higher than you may be used to it is the type of starches that we use that make the difference, and we have done a large amount of research showing that blood glucose levels are actually far better using this than just about anything else on the market. It is also an excellent additive to other feeds for horses that have GI issues. Call me at 706 618 2769 if you want to speak about your hoses needs. Best: Michael

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

How about a rice based ration balancer for all those horses with allergies?
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Totally depends on what the horse is allergic to. We have found that frequently horses diagnosed with allergies simply aren't processing their ration well. This is where we can help. Also, the process we use significantly reduces environmental allergens and toxins that can be found in cereals further eliminating potential allergies. Feel free to contact us to discuss further at 855cavalor or send me some more questions and I will have our nutritionist make a recommendation. Best regards: Michael

Are the feeds regionally prepared.

When I ask questions to the rep who came around they had no answers.

With the feed now being produced in the US will your prices be ajusted down to compenstate for not having to ship it across the Atlantic?

Pricing is a volume issue more than a shipping one. Even American manufacturers have to buy grain from overseas, but obviously as we produce more we can help offset some costs. So please help us do so...start buying Cavalor

Quote Originally Posted by mpollard View Post
    Pricing is a volume issue more than a shipping one. Even American manufacturers have to buy grain from overseas, but obviously as we produce more we can help offset some costs. So please help us do so...start buying Cavalor
    Actually...this is not the case. I work for a Canadian Feed Manufacturer and the main bulk ingredients come from a radius less then a few hundred miles from the plant. I'm sure the same applies for many of the U.S. manufacturers. This translates into savings for our customers..and supporting our local economy.

Hi Vandenbrink,
    Yes of course, manufacturers buy close buy if possible, but it also happens(not infrequently) that loads from Scandinavia, for example, are used when local sources are unavailable or do not meet standards. All i was saying is this is not the most significant driver of OUR cost. Obviously i cannot speak for others. Best: Michael

Hmmm... I am currently feeding Pennfeild and would look to switch if there was a low sugar/ starch high fat mix. The Strucomix option offered as a modified low starch feed is also very low in fat. The amount needed to feed in a day would be huge.

Moukoyui,

Let me start by saying that Pennfield makes a good feed. Now, Depending on what your horse is doing, they will probably have sufficient calories to meet there nutrition and weight needs in strucomix. However, if you have an event, endurance, or hunt horse you may want to feed half endurix in your ration for increased fat. I personally have my event horses on this ration during the season. I would like to add though, a straight strucomix diet is only really necessary for a diagnosed IR horse. Because of the way the horse will process the starches found in Cavalor feeds(Presco grains) what will be beneficial to your program may look very different on the label to what you are feeding now, as you will be able to utilize starches more effectively. We would be happy to put together a ration if you would like. Best regards: Michael pollard

Default Oh Really?

Quote Originally Posted by mpollard View Post
    that loads from Scandinavia, for example, are used when local sources are unavailable or do not meet standards.
    Seriously, excuse my grosss ignorance here, but when did Scandinavia become a big exporter of anything required for equine feed rations?

Tusen Takk (that is a 1,000 thank you's in "Scandinavian" for those that do not know) in advance for the answer.