The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Overgirths

While trying not to look at TOTD , I did notice yesterday they had overgirths. I sorta kinda think I understand the concept, but would someone explain the details of their fit (attaching) and use? Are these relatively common in the hunt field?

Thanks

Their 'usual' use is to really bolt the saddle in place for racing- in other words a brief period of use. I used to use one for pair races when going for fast time, but would not consider using one for hunting.

I used to event in one (yes, I am that old). Haven't seen one used in ages.

Mine was a wool like substance (wool perhaps?!? LOL) and the part the buckled was leather. I think my regular girth had loops to run it through so it stayed put.

I don't see people hunting nor anything else in them, at least in my area.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Thanks, ya'll-I was curious to know their purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dogfarm View Post
    Thanks, ya'll-I was curious to know their purpose.

As safety for if your girth failed. You didn't put them on super tight but tight enough that if the billets on your saddle broke, the over girth would keep the saddle in the right place.

In eventing, we used them for the longer format events where you were out on roads and tracks for a while.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by sisu27 View Post
    I used to event in one (yes, I am that old).
    Wow. You ARE old!
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

1 members found this post helpful.

sisu, I remember them, too. Striped canvas like a Ralph Lauren belt for horses. They went over the saddle, girth and all and buckled it on tight. Back in the days of Caliente helmets that clanged like a gong if you fell off or hunt caps that had a piece of elastic for a chin strap and bats...remember those with the feathered ends instead of a crop.

Wonder how many TOTD will sell? Seems like not too many people use them anymore.

Now, back to my vodka tonic....

They come in very handy for holding coolers and sweat sheets in place over saddles on the way to the meet or back. I still use them. Mine are from the long format days, too. The super stretchy all elastic ones were for race saddles.
    I think that is where the wool striped belt style came from. You had them made in your colors. They did look suave and comfortable to ride in.

Guess what I saw on every horse at indoor polo last night???

Overgirths!!!
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Quote Originally Posted by chai View Post
    Striped canvas like a Ralph Lauren belt for horses.
    Such belts are called "surcingle belts," because they're derived from surcingles/overgirths, right? Or are surcingles and overgirths not the same thing?

In Argentina some saddles are held on with only an overgirth - perhaps thats what you saw at polo sisu27?

Anyway, I too used to event in an overgirth. A meeeellion years ago before elasticated girths were popular if both your billets popped (supposing you girthed up properly to the two different pieces of webbing that the billets attached to) the overgirth prevented an unseemly, unplanned dismount.

They were also a fabulous additional color-coordinated item so one could be ultra matchy-matchy
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

Quote Originally Posted by WilfredLeblanc View Post
    Such belts are called "surcingle belts," because they're derived from surcingles/overgirths, right? Or are surcingles and overgirths not the same thing?
    Surcingles are generally shorter because they don't go over the saddle, can be made entirely of elastic (unlike eventing overgirths) and also wider (eventing overgirth has to be narrower than the regular girth it lies on top of).

(Some surcingles of course come with padding either side of the wither and may have various d-rings to attach training devices or your tail guard or crupper to.)

I believe surcingle belts are called after the striped wool of old-fashioned surcingles though.
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

Here in NZ they are always called surcingles. They are mainly only seen in racing and on stock saddles these days but used to be common. Stock saddles have leather surcingles but the others are usually made of webbing. =)
    "A babbler amongst the followers of a pack of hounds is just as great an evil as a babbler in the pack" The Complete Foxhunter 1908

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthoria View Post
    In Argentina some saddles are held on with only an overgirth - perhaps thats what you saw at polo sisu27?

Anyway, I too used to event in an overgirth. A meeeellion years ago before elasticated girths were popular if both your billets popped (supposing you girthed up properly to the two different pieces of webbing that the billets attached to) the overgirth prevented an unseemly, unplanned dismount.

They were also a fabulous additional color-coordinated item so one could be ultra matchy-matchy
    Well they all do use Argie polo saddles but they are double girthed.

Yes, mine was black and red which are my colours to this day. Back then I paired it with a black and red striped rugby shirt, red and black bandages, red and black saddle pad etc I also had those little elasticized bows in red in black for my braids. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by sisu27 View Post
    Well they all do use Argie polo saddles but they are double girthed.

Yes, mine was black and red which are my colours to this day. Back then I paired it with a black and red striped rugby shirt, red and black bandages, red and black saddle pad etc I also had those little elasticized bows in red in black for my braids. Yikes.
    lol i still use mine haha its navy blue and leather ended funny thing its old like well used and have used it on all the horses that i have competed on in eventing and ht plus x/c or any track and field things i have mind to do lol
    to me its sentimental value and sentimental thing that i use as it was my 1st horses bit of kit that i can use on my current horses lol

In Polo we always use surcingles or what is sometimes called an over girth. You will never find a polo player playing without one. It is obviously used in conjunction with a normal girth and is main function is safety.

We had a master gallop to a coop when we noticed his martingale flapping underneath the horse. Except, that's an awfully thick martingale. OH, NO, that's not a martingale--that's a girth! Had a very lovely guest out who noticed the thickness a bit before I did, and galloped a head of him and slowed up his horse before the coop.

An overgirth would have been nice in that situation

I have one. It is purple wool and leather. I am honestly not that old and I have never done a LF event. It sits in my trailer waiting to be called into action which it may in the future.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.