The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question What to look for in a trainer's website...besides the obvious.

The obvious would include the usual rhetoric about facility and specific services offered with prices and pictures.

1. A specific address for the actual facility (the barn and rings) with directions/google map link so a prospective client can drive by for a look and calculate drive time.

2. Any claims made should be from the current year or immediate past show seasons (nothing older then...say...5 years) and include specifics of what was won from which organization or at what show.

3. Said claims should focus on accomplishments of current students and current horses/Ponies in training.

4. Any "barn news" links should go to news of current clients and horses/Ponies in training.

5. Any "horse show" links should go to specific schedual with show names and dates clients will be offered.

6. Any "show results" links should go to horse shows the barn clientele (or horses in training) attended-as exhibitors.

7. Any "for sale" links should go to currently offered animals with current records that can be seen at the facility or trainers stalls at a show.

Least in my opinion, these are no brainers for anybody to put on a website and things prospective clients should expect to see.

Any others you may have run across and found lacking?
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

A friend's trainer has a tab called "The Horses" and introduces you to the horses in her barn with photos of the horse with the rider. Very nicely done and gives you a feeling that the barn/trainer was very client oriented and the horses come first.

Photos.

Photos should not be watermarked proofs that are stolen from photographers.

Photos should be of trainer's actual facility, trainer's actual students and trainer's actual (current) horses. Stock photos (or worse, stolen photos) or photos of OTHER facilities and students are a no-no. I'd rather see NONE.

Current price list with clearly identified services. I have a price range, please don't make me waste your time if you are way outside it.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    2. Any claims made should be from the current year or immediate past show seasons (nothing older then...say...5 years) and include specifics of what was won from which organization or at what show.

3. Said claims should focus on accomplishments of current students and current horses/Ponies in training.
    Disagree with #2 - say I was looking for a Big Eq trainer - I would love to know that the trainer got a ribbon at Maclay Finals 30 years ago! And I would also be impressed if big name professionals got their start in the trainer's program, even if it was a long time ago. Agree with #3 though, current is important.
    Please don't sabotash my conchess.

Quote Originally Posted by rugbygirl View Post
    Photos.

Photos should not be watermarked proofs that are stolen from photographers.

Photos should be of trainer's actual facility, trainer's actual students and trainer's actual (current) horses. Stock photos (or worse, stolen photos) or photos of OTHER facilities and students are a no-no. I'd rather see NONE.

Current price list with clearly identified services. I have a price range, please don't make me waste your time if you are way outside it.
    THIS x 1000.

Every time I see a "pro" with watermarked photos sprawled on their website or as their profile picture on their facebook page, I lose respect for that person. Respect other professionals by purchasing their products.

Please keep your website UPDATED. I can't stand it when I'm looking at horses for sale or prospective barns and then realize that nothing has been updated since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Haalter View Post
    Disagree with #2 - say I was looking for a Big Eq trainer - I would love to know that the trainer got a ribbon at Maclay Finals 30 years ago! And I would also be impressed if big name professionals got their start in the trainer's program, even if it was a long time ago. Agree with #3 though, current is important.

True, however that is more appropriate for the "About Us" link/Trainer bio.

If I click "show results" I don't want to see personal results from 1984 or a student from 1992. That is what I was referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by rugbygirl View Post
    YES PLEASE.

Save both of us the time and clearly list what you offer, and at what price. I'm looking at your website because I might be interested in working with you, and cost is a really important factor.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

I would appreciate the TRUTH on the website.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    True, however that is more appropriate for the "About Us" link/Trainer bio.

If I click "show results" I don't want to see personal results from 1984 or a student from 1992. That is what I was referring to.
    Gotcha...and agree totally
    Please don't sabotash my conchess.

Quote Originally Posted by STA View Post
    I would appreciate the TRUTH on the website.
    Oh, I don't mind a little "puffing". As long as they are boasting about something they or a current client actually did, not a vague connection to somebody who knows somebody who helped whoever did it.

But it has to be specific-I mean, I can cite all kinds of things I won on national, state and regional levels. Makes me sound real gooooood, ya think? The rest of the truth is it was 30+ years ago on an Arab and a Paint. Western.

Not a lie but....

Quote Originally Posted by caradino View Post
    YES PLEASE.

Save both of us the time and clearly list what you offer, and at what price. I'm looking at your website because I might be interested in working with you, and cost is a really important factor.
    This is so important. I was just looking for a trainer/boarding and there were so many barns that I may have been interested but their prices weren't listed. They then went on the bottom of my list to contact, because I wasn't even sure I could afford them! It takes a while to call 5 different places and get their info, and then it ends up that they cost more than you can budget. It becomes a waste of everyone's time.

Quote Originally Posted by caradino View Post
    YES PLEASE.

YES and please keep the list and your sales page up to date! I don't know how many times I e-mailed a barn only to find out the horse sold six months ago or then have raised the rates of lessons to something that I can't afford.
    Ann
    ~\"Think today so you will be here to think tomorrow\" Burma Shave~

Quote Originally Posted by bananna View Post
    This is so important. I was just looking for a trainer/boarding and there were so many barns that I may have been interested but their prices weren't listed. They then went on the bottom of my list to contact, because I wasn't even sure I could afford them! It takes a while to call 5 different places and get their info, and then it ends up that they cost more than you can budget. It becomes a waste of everyone's time.

MANY of you are forgetting that the pros are not necessarily website designers. So, putting a price on the website means changing it everytime board or fees increase. If you have to pay your web developer each time, it can be expensive and changes may not be done as quickly as the pro wants.

And on the sales page, the pictures need to be on level ground. If I see any pictures of sideways horses to give the impression they are built more up-hill, I'll point and laugh, and then post the link for others to point and laugh.

Also, I agree with others in regards to prices - you know you charge money, you know how MUCH you charge, so why in the hell would you be unwilling to put it on your website? This is a serious pet peeve of mine because it says you either have no business plan or you plan to make a sales pitch - I have news for you - I have a budget - you either fit inside said budget, or you don't. Very simple, I think - post the prices.

Quote Originally Posted by chancellor2 View Post
    MANY of you are forgetting that the pros are not necessarily website designers. So, putting a price on the website means changing it everytime board or fees increase. If you have to pay your web developer each time, it can be expensive and changes may not be done as quickly as the pro wants.
    Anyone can learn how to do this - I do not consider an unwillingness to learn how to do-so to be an excuse. I've seen too many barns (small ones, too!) capable of learning this to excuse it. If you really don't plan to learn new things, I probably do not want to train with you. Either pay someone to do it or learn how - it's a business - run it as such.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

All you have to do is put a hyperlink on the page to a text file with the current prices and whenever something changes, you upload a new file with the same name. Takes all of about 30 seconds to post price changes.
    SPACE FOR RENT

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    Anyone can learn how to do this - I do not consider an unwillingness to learn how to do-so to be an excuse. I've seen too many barns (small ones, too!) capable of learning this to excuse it. If you really don't plan to learn new things, I probably do not want to train with you. Either pay someone to do it or learn how - it's a business - run it as such.
    ANYONE can learn to do this? Umm, not necessarily. If their site is database driven that would involve knowing more than one language. I don't think you fully understand that some pro websites are not all that easy to do.

Frankly, I'd rather know that my trainer and/or barn manager was working with horses and being sure that the horses are okay rather than mucking around with computer code.
    Call the damn phone number or send an email. It's not that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    All you have to do is put a hyperlink on the page to a text file with the current prices and whenever something changes, you upload a new file with the same name. Takes all of about 30 seconds to post price changes.
    and if you don't necessarily have access to your server? Again, if you are paying a web developer, it may not be that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by chancellor2 View Post
    Call the damn phone number or send an email. It's not that hard.
    Speaking of...have an email address, not a web form.

I hate webforms.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    Speaking of...have an email address, not a web form.

I hate webforms.
    Using WEBFORMS prevents usage of the email address for SPAM. Any decent web designer knows this.