The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default No god deed goes unpunished- RIP Luna

I just lost Luna- one of the sweetest cats ever -- because I did a good deed for a friend who was involved in an awful divorce. I am just heart sick.

Luna was a beautiful brown tabby with fluffy hair and a stumpy tail who looked like a miniature wildcat. She was just eight years old.

Last May a friend who was involved in a really icky awful nasty divorce asked me if I would care for her dog until she was able to get on her feet and get a place where the dog could live with her. I really didn't think I would have the dog this long. But anyway, she assured me that Indy got along with just fine with dogs and cats.

Well I was always careful-- just in case-- because Indy is a rather large dog- a lab- golden retriever mix.

Anyway, tonight, Luna apparently slipped out of the house when I opened the door to let Indy out to do her business-- something Luna had never done before (my cats are all indoor cats.

Luna was in the yard when Indy finally decided to go out to do her business. Indy grabbed Luna, and shook her to death before I could reach them. I am just so mad.

Now understand that Indy has been in the house with Luna and Hugo and never even looked cross-ways at them-- but tonight she grabbed my sweet Luna and killed her right in front of me. I did try to do CPR, etc. but it was no use.

I hate the sight of that dog now. If I had had a gun, I would have shot her then and there. I called her owner and told her she had to get that dog off my property tomorrow. If only I hadn't agreed to help a friend, my poor Luna would still be alive.

Right now I truly believe that no good deed goes unpunished. Needless to say, that dog will stay outside, and crated except for bathroom breaks until she leaves here.

Rest in Peace poor Luna, I'm sorry I could not save you.
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    Elysian Fields Farm--
    --An equine refuge

I'm sorry for the loss of your kitty, and I understand that you want Indy gone from your house because of what happened, but please understand she was just being a dog. To most dogs, cats in the house are one thing, but cats outside--especially if they're running--are another. Prey drive and predatory drift are powerful things, especially when she'd never been introduced to the cat outside of the house.

Again, my heart breaks for you and your little Luna, and I'm very, very sorry for your loss.

My heart is breaking for you. So very very sorry
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

Quote Originally Posted by citydog View Post
    I'm sorry for the loss of your kitty, and I understand that you want Indy gone from your house because of what happened, but please understand she was just being a dog. To most dogs, cats in the house are one thing, but cats outside--especially if they're running--are another. Prey drive and predatory drift are powerful things, especially when she'd never been introduced to the cat outside of the house.

Again, my heart breaks for you and your little Luna, and I'm very, very sorry for your loss.
    Thanks for your condolences. Unfortunately Luna is still dead and will remain so. She wasn't running. But doesn't matter anyway- Dog WILL be gone. Her owner told me to just turn her loose, and let her take her chances if she doesn't find somewhere else for her to go by tomorrow evening.

Since I don't even want to have to look at that dog, much less feed or handle her, that is probably what I will do -- put her out of my fenced yard -- if her owner doesn't come through for her -- too bad. If she is stupid enough to leave the front yard and - gets hit-- too bad-- so sad-- one less cat-killing dog.

When I went out to put dog in her kennel-- outside now-- I had to really stop myself from the almost overwhelming urge to just kick and stomp her.

But I also blame friend's daughter who kept bringing little fluffy stuffed toys for her to play with even after I had asked that young woman not to bring such toys to her. She would come while I wasn't home and toss these to her over the fence.

The daughter also kept telling my friend that she didn't think I was taking good care of her, and that I was cruel because I insisted she be kenneled at night.

Of course "dear daughter" begged off taking her because her landlord wanted a pet deposit.

Dog was only supposed to be here a couple of weeks to begin with and it has been eight fricking months.

As I said -No good deed goes unpunished. I'm sitting up unable to go to sleep with my beloved Luna wrapped in a towel awaiting burial as soon as it is light enough for me to dig her grave.

One thing for sure-- I will NEVER allow another big dog anywhere near my property, let alone in my house or yard.

Looking back on things- I wished I had just grabbed a shovel and bashed her head to make her drop my cat.

And I wouldn't have bothered to bury her- I would have put her out with the trash.
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    Elysian Fields Farm--
    --An equine refuge

So sorry for your precious Luna. I know you are in pain but letting the dog "take its chances" by just turning it loose, hoping it will leave or get killed, is cruel. Maybe the humane society? A rescue?

I think you serve the memory of your beloved cat better by continuing to show compassion and grace in the midst of sorrow.

Serious condolences to you in your time of pain.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywell Bay View Post
    So sorry for your precious Luna. I know you are in pain but letting the dog "take its chances" by just turning it loose, hoping it will leave or get killed, is cruel. Maybe the humane society? A rescue?

I think you serve the memory of your beloved cat better by continuing to show compassion and grace in the midst of sorrow.

Serious condolences to you in your time of pain.
    Completely agree.

OP, you are angry right now. And traumatized. And I completely understand. But please remember, as another has said, the dog was being a dog. I'm sure the dog would 'take it back,' if she knew for a second that what she did was wrong. But she has no way of knowing- a dog is not a person, there are primitive motivations behind animal behavior that we don't understand, and well... sometimes shit just happens.

I understand being angry. Be angry at me if you need an outlet for your rage. But please not at the dog. She is just a dog, and does not know any better. {{{HUGS}}}

If you're anywhere near MD, I can try to place the dog in a non-cat home to get her off of your hands.

And a big double bird-flip goes to her old owners who are making no moves to take her back, especially after what you just went through.

Some of my best friends are showing Luna around on the other side right now... my most sincere condolences and prayers go out to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

Quote Originally Posted by elysian*fields*farm View Post
    Thanks for your condolences. Unfortunately Luna is still dead and will remain so. She wasn't running. But doesn't matter anyway- Dog WILL be gone. Her owner told me to just turn her loose, and let her take her chances if she doesn't find somewhere else for her to go by tomorrow evening.

Since I don't even want to have to look at that dog, much less feed or handle her, that is probably what I will do -- put her out of my fenced yard -- if her owner doesn't come through for her -- too bad. If she is stupid enough to leave the front yard and - gets hit-- too bad-- so sad-- one less cat-killing dog.

When I went out to put dog in her kennel-- outside now-- I had to really stop myself from the almost overwhelming urge to just kick and stomp her.

But I also blame friend's daughter who kept bringing little fluffy stuffed toys for her to play with even after I had asked that young woman not to bring such toys to her. She would come while I wasn't home and toss these to her over the fence.

The daughter also kept telling my friend that she didn't think I was taking good care of her, and that I was cruel because I insisted she be kenneled at night.

Of course "dear daughter" begged off taking her because her landlord wanted a pet deposit.

Dog was only supposed to be here a couple of weeks to begin with and it has been eight fricking months.

As I said -No good deed goes unpunished. I'm sitting up unable to go to sleep with my beloved Luna wrapped in a towel awaiting burial as soon as it is light enough for me to dig her grave.

One thing for sure-- I will NEVER allow another big dog anywhere near my property, let alone in my house or yard.

Looking back on things- I wished I had just grabbed a shovel and bashed her head to make her drop my cat.

And I wouldn't have bothered to bury her- I would have put her out with the trash.
    I'm very sorry you lost your cat in such a traumatic manner.

But wow, your blind hatred of the dog is stunning. You don't care if it gets hit by a car? You would turn it loose rather than have to look at it?

If you hate it that much, and it seems apparent that the owner doesn't give a hoot about it as she even said to turn it loose, why don't you take it to the shelter? If that's not an option, take it to the vet and have it euthanized. For crying out loud, turning it loose is NOT an option.

I hope that time will temper your feelings. Condolences.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

When I was 8 months pregnant, my female GSD killed my cat of 17 years. The cat, Simon, decided at 17 to move outside at the farm. Haley, the GSD had lived with him for 5 years inside. One day, she trotted up to the house holding a dead Simon. Traumatic, horrible. I was crushed. Especially since I had taken Haley in from a friend who was retiring from Search and Rescue.

I was P.O 'd. I was hormonal. My mom said " She was just being a dog". So true. Sadly, the prey drive is very strong in a lot of dogs.

I shared this only because I felt the guilt. It is painful. It is raw.

Simon wil show Luna around and they will laugh disdainfully at how dumb dogs can be.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

No my understanding is the old owner said that they can't pick the dog up, and to just turn it loose if they don't pick it up. With the dog owner's daughter tossing stuffed animal toys they basically showed they don't care about the rules, or about the consequences of their actions with the living situation of the animal. Actually, if they have dumped the dog on the OP for eight stinking months they have effectively abandoned the dog anyway. If the so-called owner doesn't pick up the dog today (and I certainly bet they won't) I would call animal control, tell them who the owner is, and about the cat attack so a potential adopter doesn't take the dog home to a house with cats.

My condolences on your beloved cat. And I understand your shock and rage, but I know you wouldn't do what you're talking about and are just venting to try to cope with a horrific event and a major loss.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Elysian, I know your hurting so badly, that none of us can help ease that pain with words or thoughts or comfort. Surely we all have lost a beloved pet we have nurtured and cared for and love as much as you have loved your Luna cat.

But please, I too ask, no beg, do not let your heart grow so hard and embittered that you let a dog, who was acting on impulse and not being vicious, let it go to be hit by a car or die a horrible death because you hurt so badly. That isn't you. Call the SPCA, Animal Control, look for a rescue group for the breeds of dog that one is, get it out of your home that way.

Think a moment about what your about to do. If you have to be pissed off at someone, be pissed off at the owner of that dog, who it sounds as if it abandoned the dog on you with no intentions of ever coming back to get the dog. SHE is the reason your poor Luna died, NOT the dog, he was only acting on instinct.
    "Promise me you'll always remember: your braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." By Christopher Robins to Pooh

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    No my understanding is the old owner said that they can't pick the dog up, and to just turn it loose if they don't pick it up. With the dog owner's daughter tossing stuffed animal toys they basically showed they don't care about the rules, or about the consequences of their actions with the living situation of the animal. Actually, if they have dumped the dog on the OP for eight stinking months they have effectively abandoned the dog anyway. If the so-called owner doesn't pick up the dog today (and I certainly bet they won't) I would call animal control, tell them who the owner is, and about the cat attack so a potential adopter doesn't take the dog home to a house with cats.

My condolences on your beloved cat. And I understand your shock and rage, but I know you wouldn't do what you're talking about and are just venting to try to cope with a horrific event and a major loss.

This.

I am so sorry, EFF. I hope you can find it in you to feel for this dog, who was abandoned by his owners.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

My heeler, who has done similar things before, has been carefully managed over the past few years. Knowing she has the propensity to kill things, I've taken it on myself to try to manage her (she is my husband's dog...I never wanted a dog of her breed).

A few months ago, I went to another house on the property to use their washer as mine was broken. House was empty, but an old cat still lived there and we were feeding it. I had asked hubby to put it to sleep...it was truly awful looking. I looked out the window and noticed that my daughter had come over with the dog following. I dropped what I was carrying and ran out, but it was already too late.

Same heeler has lived in the house with our cat for the past 10 years with no issues. Cat is an indoor cat, and if she gets out, I always put the heeler up because I don't know if she'll treat her the same outside.

It's an awful way to live but I agreed to deal with this dog until she passes. I just hope she doesn't live to be too old

So, I understand your anger because that day I really wanted to kill the dog. And it wasn't the first time for her...but understand that the dog didn't do it to piss you off. She has moved on and doesn't understand your anger.

I don't blame you for not keeping her, but please just drop her at a shelter or euthanize her. Sounds like her owner wasn't asking you for a favor by keeping the dog, but rather dumping an animal on you that she doesn't want. You aren't obligated to the dog, but don't abuse him either.

I am so so sorry. It's obvious how heavy your heart is right now.

As the others have said, please call the SPCA or another rescue group to take the dog. I don't blame you for wanting him gone, but if you turn him loose to fend for himself, YOU will feel guilty down the road. Why? Because you love animals, and you know that most pets will not survive well on their own.

(((((HUGS))))) to you.

I am so sorry about the loss of your cat.

I hope you were only speaking in the blind heat of pain and anger, but another plea to please not just turn the dog loose.

What if a family swerved to avoid him on an icy road and were killed?

What a horrible thing to have witnessed. What unspeakable sorrow and pain I would be in if I were to see one of mine go that way.

Please continue to do the right thing by this dog. Bring the dog to a shelter or have it euthanized. You took on the responsibility of caring for it; now that you know what the dog is capable of, you don't want to add to your pain by doing the wrong thing and becoming responsible for more cats dying because you let the dog loose.

My condolences on the loss of Luna. It is hard to lose a beloved pet. I can understand your feelings of not wanting the dog on your property.

The dog was being a dog. Period. It does not mean that the dog deserves to hated. My old dogs have killed cats and it was a shock at first and I did at first think of putting them down. But I knew that it was just dogs being dogs. For the comments of just kicking the dog out of the fence and "good luck" makes me sick to my stomach. If you or the owner cannot keep the dog take it to a shelter. At least then it has a chance and will not suffer. If it doesn't find a home it will be euthanized but not die of starvation or hit by a car and die along side of the road. This dog has been a pet, try to realize that if kicked out of the yard or dumped somewhere else it will be confused, scared and suffer. I've read your posts here and thought you had compassion for animals. I do understand your pain and dislike for the dog, but please do take it to a shelter. It sounds like the owner will not be responsible for it and if she says dump it more than likely she will just turn it loose. Not fair to the dog.

I'm off to my job at a humane society now. I will look into the eyes of dogs who have been dumped on the streets or just turned into the shelter. The dogs who mostly are there through no fault of their own, other than being dogs. I hope you can at least find enough compassion to do right by the dog and make sure it doesn't suffer at your hand.

I understand that you are in pain right now, because of the loss of your dear Luna. However, the dog did not act out of malice or hatred - it acted out of instinct. You on the other hand, because you are grief stricken, are planning to act out of malice and hatred towards the dog.

The only villian in this story so far is the family that owned the dog before. If you physicaly harm the dog or throw him out on the street, you will be no better than they are, and I think eventually you will regret it.

Please call Zeus' Place at 4601 Freret Street, NOLA (504-304-4718), tell them what happened and about your inability to think rationally with respect to this dog right now. I am confident they can help you find a rescue group in Louisiana to take him, so he at least has a chance at a happy life with owners who love him.

If Zeus' Place can't help, please PM me. I am flying to NOLA tonight for the holidays, and I will try to help you find a rescue group.

I'm so sorry this incident had too happen during the holidays, and I hope your heart is able to heal soon.

Wow, your post is the worst thing I've heard in a very long time. And I don't mean the part about the dog killing your cat. I am very sorry that it happened, but the dog doesn't deserve to be kicked out on the street. YOU took the dog in, THE OWNERS have abandoned him with you, YOU accidentally let the cat out. And yet, you feel that its ok to let a dog starve to death, scared and alone? The dog was acting out of insticts. You, however, can think about your actions and still want to be a horrible person, which IMHO, makes you worse than the dog.

I felt bad when I started reading your post, now I just feel disgusted.
    A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

1 members found this post helpful.

Yup,

I'm disgusted too Kristi! People never cease to amaze me.

My own very loved dogs killed my cat. I was just hysterical. How can the ones i love have done this horrible thing, didn't they know I loved that cat?
    Such a sucky thing to have happened. And of course, the dogs are the ones I go to for comfort, so I was so torn up.
    Contact all your horse friends and see if someone will take the dog. Otherwise take her to the shelter. I would take her if I lived closer.
    I understand the venting, been there.
    Bless you Luna, you were joined yesterday by my 4 year old Seamus, who broke his neck in an accident.
    NOthing to do but go on. Many hugs.