The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can We Play Antique Roadshow with this horse jumping lamp?

So, I found this antique/vintage lamp with a foxhunter and strirrup on it (see photo) and thought it was interesting and picked it up. Does anyone recall when these were made or who made them? It also has a horse shoe finnial on top that I've cut off in the photo. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Pic:

Fixed bad link http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...f&id=545827564

Mom says she thinks MJ Knoud.

The shape and design of the lamp itself looks early 1960s to me, maybe late 1950s. And the horse and rider are very retro as well. Could be that old or could be retro design--did you flip it over to see if there are any "Made in" marks or patent numbers or anything on the bottom of the base? Is there an electrical cord and does it work? What's it made of?

It's not worth anything at all. It's just taking up space. I'd be glad to take it off your hands.

Seriously though, thought I recognized it and here is something very similar: http://www.millbrookgalleryandantiqu...ions/cary.html (you have to scroll over the photo links on right side of page).
    Please don't sabotash my conchess.

From the discussions tab... I read only the first part of the tab, "Can We Play Antique Roadshow with this horse..."

Looks like the link above shows a pretty good base of what you could have in terms of maker and value. Perhaps the shade is not original though?

You might consider cross-posting on the Hunting forum
    I have Higher Standards... do you?

"For the love of my horse, I know who I am."

I didn't see anything immediately as to maker's mark. I will give it a closer one over. Base looks original, shade is new. It works-looks to have original cord. Can't decide if it's cool and I'm keeping it yet or not-I sort of found it 'out of place' and didn't want to let it get away, but wasn't really sure what I'd found.

Ps-thanks for all the helpful info!

Love it!
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

The horse is the same as a hood ornament that was very popular in the50's and 60's. I have one of those tucked away somewhere. Neat looking lamp.

Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    Mom says she thinks MJ Knoud.
    haha,,,, it could easily be.

i don't like the shade. it needs a barrel shape and something like a hunter green or burgundy.

Quote Originally Posted by fair judy View Post
    haha,,,, it could easily be.

i don't like the shade. it needs a barrel shape and something like a hunter green or burgundy.

If you'd like to make it your own, you can put whatever shade catches your fancy on it. Mr. REH would be totally happy if someone stole it before it takes up permanent residence in our home--I'm sure he'll barter with you while I'm out of the house I'm half expecting him to start buying football and basketball home accessories to counteract all my horse clutter.

Cute lamp. What does the plug on the electrical cord look like? Does it have a larger blade on one side than the other? The larger blade was made mandatory in 1962, allowing the lamp to only be plugged into the socket one way. Many companies were already changing over in the 1950's. If the lamp has a plug with two similar size blades....probably late 40's early 50's.
    To Teach is to learn twice.

It has one bigger sized blade. HuntingCreek, that's very interesting--amazing what people know around here!

I turned it about last night and found no maker's mark on it. I could "unscrew" the metal man and see if there's a mark on the part attached to the base, but nothing is visible as assembled.

I love that lamp and would snap it up if I saw it in a shop somewhere! I actually have a napkin holder that is very similar!

To me, it looks like the base (stirrup and jumping horse) is original and something happened to the stirrup leather/buckle post and the original shade and someone along the line took pieces and a shade from another lamp and put together what you have. I think this is frequently done in resale and restoration/antiques. It is still really nice, that picture submitted in one of the earlier posts just seems more like what the original must have looked like.

You have a good eye! You know, they just don't make stuff like what you have anymore... why don't you keep it?

It looks to me like everything is original except for the lamp shade.

I will probably keep it...I'm mostly teasing because my husband's eyes keep bugging out at all the random horse stuff I keep bringing home. He's a minimalist and I am, well, um, not.