The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Area 5'ers: Ralph Hill clinic, January 15-16, at Pine Hill! Spots still available!

Hope I'm not breaking any rules here, since there is an "events" section, but I'm not a premium member (hello, I event, so all my money goes to 13,984 combinations of bits, bridles, saddles, boots, saddle pads and lessons).

There is a Ralph Hill clinic January 15 & 16, 2011 at Pine Hill in Bellville, and spots are still available. P, T, N, and BN divisions offered. Very affordable, great facility, fabulous instructor - what's not to like? As amazing as the weather has been lately, it's possible we'll be in short-sleeves!

Link to information and entry forms: http://www.area5eventing.com/pdf/Clinic_RalphHill.pdf

Hope to see and meet some of you there!

Jacque

(And FWIW, I'm just attending as a participant - I'm not the organizer nor do I have any financial stake in this)
    Last edited by jackalini; Dec. 20, 2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: more info

Mattman and I will be there! We have been waiting years for Ralph to make it somewhere close enough for us to clinic with him.

Our horses are related to one of his horses, and he rode and trained their Dad, so I've always thought he would have an insiders view of some of their more interesting behavior quirks. LOL

Plus he's like a walking history book of knowledge and fun stories.

I heard about this a month ago, and am so disappointed I can't go Ralph is my favorite clinician, and those who haven't ridden with him are really missing out!

Anway, just thought I'd bump this up.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Looking forward to meeting you, Lucyjane!

I'll be riding in the Novice section on the mighty mare.

Toadie's mom - sorry to hear you'll have to miss it. Thanks for the bump. I really hope this fills, it's a great opportunity!

Jackalini, can't wait to meet you. Anyone else going? Hubby and I will be the ones with twin grays, one novice and one training.

Anyone know if Ralph asks specifically what you want to work on, has a general lesson plan for everyone, or if he just calls it like he sees it as you go along? Doesn't matter, just trying to get an idea of his style..

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyjane View Post
    Anyone know if Ralph asks specifically what you want to work on, has a general lesson plan for everyone, or if he just calls it like he sees it as you go along? Doesn't matter, just trying to get an idea of his style..

If its a regular clinic with group lessons, he will usually have a plan that the whole group will follow. Private lessons will allow you to specifically work on whatever you want/need to work on.

Have fun! Ralph is a blast to ride with!

http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com

I will be there auditing and helping with jump crew for stadium. Can't wait! Hubby just got a new job and one of the requirements is that he work every other Saturday. If he's off that weekend he'll come with me.

I took a clinic with Ralph in Oct and had a blast . Gave my greenie a lot of confidence and was considerate and thoughtful with lesson plan. Highly recommend him!

I would love to ride with Ralph again. I did waaaay back in the late 80s. Unfortuantely I have another committment that weekend. Hope everyone has a blast and want to hear all about it.

Although Pine Hill is a bit too far for me to drive, I absolutely recommend Ralph as a clinician. I rode with him once in 1998 and had a blast! He is a kind instructor and very funny. Unlike some other BNTs I have ridden with in the past, Ralph really understands that lower level riders are trying very hard and want to learn as best they can even if they do make mistakes along the way.
    Most friendships in the horse world are just an opinion away from doom.

I'm IN!!! VBG!! This will be the first clinic I utilize mt WTT scholarship funds to attend!! Now, I need to round up someone to take a few photos! I am so looking forward to meeting those attending/auditing! :-)

Sue - my dad is coming along with me (must be nice to be retired!), and I also have several friends coming up from Houston to watch and hang out. So, depending on the division you are in, I think I could either rope someone into the job or do it myself (if it's not just before or after my rides).

Very excited to meet everyone. I'll be the super tall blonde chick with the super wide bay mare. I drive a maroon tahoe. Come say hello if I don't first!

Jacque

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Jackie, thanks for posting this. Mark and I will be auditing. See you there!
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Clinic recap posted here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ll#post5366659

Lots of fun, and the weather mostly held out.

Thumbs up

I was there auditing the two Training groups on XC day. Ralph was GREAT! I loved his emphasis on getting the horse confident and getting the horse comfortable knowing what muscle groups to use for what kind of fence... It was great to hear that an ULR/ BNT was putting the horse first!

And, I loved the "chute" exercise he had them do in the XC warm-up before heading out to the XC field. Very creative and useful.
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com