The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Price for 2nd level, some 3rd level dressage horse

How would you price a mid teens 17.2 horse who does 2nd level and some 3rd?

I am just curious what you all would price him at.
    I don't know much more about the horse, except he is gorgeous to look at, and nice personality. Owner says he is 2nd level, some 3rd. Big mover.
    Just a ball park, because really don't have all that much info on him.
    thanks.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Depends on age soundness, show record, breeding.

For a horse 10 or younger with great bloodlines, a proven show history and upper level potential, I'd say around $40k.
    Savannah Custom Scrapbook Design. For horses...and people, too!
    www.savannahscrapbooks.com
    www.thislifeblog.com

This horse is 18, sound. I wish I could tell you more about him, but I don't know much detail, except his level and that he is a big mover.

His life has been dressage, has a good work discipline. In other words, no hunting, eventing, jumping in his background. Bloodlines unknown.

I doubt much more upper level potential due to age, or am I wrong?
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

At age 18 with unknown breeding? 10k tops.

$8-10k, maybe $15k if it still wins at 2nd level and is easy enough to babysit a below-average amateur or young kid at that level.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    $8-10k, maybe $15k if it still wins at 2nd level and is easy enough to babysit a below-average amateur or young kid at that level.
    This, depending on prices in your area. $15k I think in a higher priced area.

This is an estimate, because I saw no horses resembling this description in my horse search in my area, so to some extent it's a situation where a seller can pick a price and the buyer has to guess if it's reasonable, or at least it would be here. For an older horse who isn't an upper level schoolmaster, the market just didn't really seem to be there much.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

The key is if this horse is currently doing this work and is fairly competitive. I know a Dutch mare that meets this description....is $1500, has been a broodmare the last several years so is not currently in work.

We sold one two years ago for 15k. He was 15, but sounds exactly the same in every other way.

Since he's 18 though, I would say no more than 10k.

Owner says he is 2nd level, some 3rd.
    I'd wonder why he's never really progressed past 2nd level if dressage is what he's been doing exclusively

Unless he was at this level several years ago & the owner then took some time off for "Life Happens" in which case he may not prove sound once in consistent work beyond 2nd level ...
    I'd defintley do major vetting if you want to advance with him.
    ( & hack out & some fun 2 foot level jumps )

Is the horse REALLY at second and not just "doing the moves"? that would mean a big difference in price for me, as would any maintenance costs.

I agree 10K is reasonable if the horse is fit, in work, and sound. Third level horses (full wbs) about 10 yrs old are under 20k in many markets, so this can be a barometer.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    I'd wonder why he's never really progressed past 2nd level if dressage is what he's been doing exclusively

Unless he was at this level several years ago & the owner then took some time off for "Life Happens" in which case he may not prove sound once in consistent work beyond 2nd level ...
    I'd defintley do major vetting if you want to advance with him.
    ( & hack out & some fun 2 foot level jumps )
    I disagree with this. I have an older SWB mare who showed 2nd level (recognized) and scored low 60's, and was schooling all the third level movements. She could not progress higher - not due to her inabilities but because at the time I didn't know how to ride her and teach her self carriage.

Since my current mare has gotten hurt I'm riding this mare (21 yo) and asking her to really carry herself with the help of my current instructors. I never realized she could do so well - but at this age she doesn't have the muscle to sustain self carriage, but is finally able to demonstrate the ability for self carriage.

So it may be that the horse owner/rider didn't/doesn't have a coach schooled in how to help these horses really sit and carry themselves - hence why show-wise the horse may be stuck at 2nd level.
    Sandy in Fla.

Quote Originally Posted by cuatx55 View Post
    Third level horses (full wbs) about 10 yrs old are under 20k in many markets, so this can be a barometer.
    Really? I haven't seen any. Can you provide links? PM if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by fivehorses View Post
    How would you price a mid teens 17.2 horse who does 2nd level and some 3rd?

I am just curious what you all would price him at.
    I don't know much more about the horse, except he is gorgeous to look at, and nice personality. Owner says he is 2nd level, some 3rd. Big mover.
    Just a ball park, because really don't have all that much info on him.
    thanks.
    It depends a lot on what "some" 3rd means (as in he's sort of doing a bit of half pass, but no confirmed changes - or - he performs a capable, fluid half pass, has confirmed changes both ways and dynamic medium paces + true collection, and simply needs polish & maybe some fitness to pull it all together. Also depends upon what maintenance he may need, and whether he's showable or not. If he's showable (and reasonably competitive) through and including 3rd, with say, a bit of work but not too much to tune him up - then he's a candidate for someone to get their Bronze medal on. Temperament, too, is yet another piece.

At 18, however, the ticking of the clock is looming for many horses. If he's really got it all in a nice package still, then $15K & upwards (depending upon his overall quality) is not unrealistic, especially if the location & presentation are right.

The more "gotchas" he has, however, would all serve to reduce that, possibly drastically. Also, I think most buyers would look at 18 as upper teens, vs. mid teens... 13-15yo you could call mid-teens, IMO.

As for there being lots of 3rd level warmbloods @ ~10 years old out there for under $20K in many markets? That I haven't seen - and I've been looking a good bit very recently. I think I must be looking in the wrong markets.

Depends on where you are. Right now, on one of our regional websites (Bay Area Equestrian Network), there is a 15 year old Hanoverian mare, solid 2nd level show history, schooling 3rd, $15k.

A training barn has a few Warmbloods that are younger (under 10), schooling 3rd level (aka changes on them) showing 2nd, $30 to $35k. They have a 3rd level schooling 4th, 12 year old mare for $30k.

Another ad for a 10 year old that is currently showing 3rd, schooling 4th, $30k.

An Oldenburg, 15 years old, shown through 2nd level, $3500.

13 yo Oldenburg, shown through 2nd, confirmed changes, off for an injury, but back to work for a year with full vet release, $7,500.

While none of these horses will take you to the Olympics, I know a few of them and they are nice horses, 3 good gaits, done well at some good sized shows.

If you are in an area where the economy is doing better (some of the East Coast), price will be higher. If the horse has a recent, solid show record, price will be higher. If horse is easy to ride, solid changes, decent lateral work (aka with a little work, will be solid 3rd level), price will be higher. But age will scare many buyers, and we don't know enough about the horse to really say. I'd guess somewhere between $3k and $10k.

RidingArts - not sure if you are willing to pay for shipping and travel, but there are some deals in California right now - our economy is struggling to bounce back (the higher we fly, the harder we fall). Some well bred horses with decent training. People are starting to edge the prices back up, but there are still bargains to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    At age 18 with unknown breeding? 10k tops.
    That was my thought too. If there's a life history and he hasn't needed injections yet you could squeak up to $15k
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I also think his height is an issue. I for one, wouldn't want a horse that big. I think your more popular horses are somewhere between 15.3 and 16.2

I would say 8500.00 just by the description/without seeing the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    I also think his height is an issue. I for one, wouldn't want a horse that big. I think your more popular horses are somewhere between 15.3 and 16.2

I would say 8500.00 just by the description/without seeing the horse.
    I completely disagree. His height is actually an advantage. many people (think) they need a horse that large, or they just like the big ones
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    I completely disagree. His height is actually an advantage. many people (think) they need a horse that large, or they just like the big ones

We'll just have to disagree because I know MANY women riders who will not consider a horse over 16.2, I know I'll never have another one over 16.1

I think the price totally depends on if the horse is showing second level with good scores and has nice flying changes/half passes since they say he is schooling third level. That would bring a good price. If the horse has not shown, or does not have flying changes the price would go way down. To even give a ballpark you would need to know that info.

At age 18, the value is very dicey. If he is getting high 60's with an amateur at 2nd and 3rd, and vets clean, then $15k might be possible, but that would be pretty top of the market.

If he's an ordinary 2nd level horse, low 60's, at that age, $5-$8k might be more likely... and honestly when training board is at $2k a month, I've seen a horse with this description go for less to a good home with a promised retirement.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket