The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Interpreting the Numbers on the ACTH Test Results

Hi Guys,

I've been looking for website that explains/interprets ACTH test results.
    Does anyone know of a website that has this info, or can anyone tell me what the numbers mean (such as the range for "definite cushings", the range for "maybe cushings", etc)

Thanks!

thank you Katy.

I guess I'm still confused. What are some "typical" scores that a horse without cushings might get? what are some "typical" borderline scores? what are some typical scores that a horse with cushings would get?

Share your scores, if you care to ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by ytr45 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I've been looking for website that explains/interprets ACTH test results.
    Does anyone know of a website that has this info, or can anyone tell me what the numbers mean (such as the range for "definite cushings", the range for "maybe cushings", etc)

Thanks!
    When was the test done? Not in the fall I hope?

When researchers are looking for EMS horses that do NOT have PPID, they eliminate every horse that has over 50 baseline ACTH, done at Cornell. That seems to be a good cushion over the 35 'normal' that might happen from stress or seasonal rise.

MY EMS horse, tested every year early summer never has ACTH over 17. I'm convinced PPID is not an issue at this time.

Older mare was in 'grey' area for a while, 40-50. Then later she was testing in the 60's, even on 1 then 2 mg of Pergolide. Then, definitely PPID. ACTH never out of control. Never any other PPID symptoms except laminitis. Insulin well controlled by diet and pergolide, even after she could not be exercised due to arthritis.

Even horses that are not yet in a definitively diagnostic range for Cushings tend to have higher ACTH readings in Fall/Winter, which is why it is called the seasonal rise. Your attending Vet is the best source for the answers you need, but you can find good background info on www.ecirhorse.com
    Jeanie

Here are my horse's results back in March of this year:

ACTH (Baseline): 21.6 (9-35 pg/mL ref. range)

According to my regular vet, Gus is managing quite nicely with IR and does NOT have Cushings. She recommends testing annually for Cushings and rechecking his IR bloodwork twice a year. FWIW, he's always managing quite nicely with his IR - least according to his bloodwork. His hooves are another matter and may or may not be related.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

thanks, very interesting.

My gelding's test came back at 72.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp