The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Price Check! What's reasonable for Adequan/Legend with the vet?

So the vet needs to come out and do regular Adequan/Legend maintenance on my priceless senior WonderHorse.

The pricetag, has me a little .

Perhaps I'm dealing with a really expensive vet? Or is that just what it costs?

What's reasonable to expect for this on a regular basis?

Legend IV (4cc) is $79.50 here... I think I paid $90 in Phoenix. Plus the farm call, of course.

(There is a rebate available now on 3 doses of Legend, I need to send in my form...)
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

okay gonna try this again. Tried to respond but not sure if I posted it or not. If I did, blame it on the headcold I have squishing my brain into incoherence...

The practice I manage usually sells Adequan in the multi-dose bottle at cost (really. I swear it's at cost.) to our clients. It usually runs about $400 I think . Then the owners can do it themselves if they are comfortable with injections.

There are some owners who can't afford to pay for a bottle all at once and just have him come out to do the injections themselves, which really ends up being twice as much as they end up paying for a farm call.

Adequan is expensive. There is no cheap way to do it and there are some animals that really don't benefit from it at all but you don't know unless you try it first. Most animals respond well to it but I have seen some horses and dogs who just don't do as well as we hoped they would and in the end, it ended up being a huge waste of money. But again you won't know unless you try and honestly, the ones who didn't respond were pretty bad off in the first place and the ones it did help really outweighed the ones it didn't.

Hope this helps somewhat.

If the vet is coming out solely to give your horse Adequan & Legend shots, it's going to get really expensive, really fast. The ranch call is what will kill you!

Has this horse gotten Adequan & Legend before? So you know he responds well to them? Know how often he is going to need them? Etc?

If you can learn to at least do IM injections, this will help a lot. Depends on the schedule you're going to use though - how often is he going to get what?

I've seen Legends for $80 a vile. My chrio vet charges $105 (and comes out once a month do to chiro so there isn't a farm call). Can Legend be done IM? I am comfortable with IM but not IV so I pay the $25 extra a month not kill my horse

I get mine at Petmedsnmore.com

Adequan 50ml: $359.99 ($36 per dose)

Legend 20ml: $389.95 ($79.99 per dose)

[Edited to correct Adequan cost to $36 per dose]
    Last edited by SBrentnall; Dec. 25, 2010 at 02:36 PM.
    Savannah Custom Scrapbook Design. For horses...and people, too!
    www.savannahscrapbooks.com
    www.thislifeblog.com

Yeah... I'm not comfortable doing the injections myself.

(chalk that up to a highly irrational fear of needles and a likewise desire not to kill my horse )

The horse very definitely responds to both, through a bit of trial and error over time, so it's well worth it. I just don't think it should cost the $250/month I'm being offered. I *adore* my vet, but really...?

Is there someone at the barn who could do them for you? I don't like doing them either, but my trainer showed me how and it's really easy. It goes straight into the muscle and you've got a huge area to work with.
    www.thislifeblog.com

I get my Adequan( 7 dose pack) from my vet for $300 + shipping with needles and syringes. DH does the injections. Horse doesn't even twinge. She's usually munching on dinner and doesn't flick an ear. We do the "thump-thump-thump- needlle- thump" routine.

About 8-ish years ago, maybe 9-10, I was paying, IIRC, $80/vial of Legend, and then the farm call for the vet to do it. I only did that a few times as it just wasn't proving worth it for that horse.

Adequan at $400 for 7 vials is a bit of a rip-off in the US. $300 is much more reasonable, almost as low as you'll find unless you have a scrip for someplace with it on a sale. $350 tops is what I'd ever pay a vet for a direct sale.

Quote Originally Posted by honeydoozy View Post
    Yeah... I'm not comfortable doing the injections myself.

(chalk that up to a highly irrational fear of needles and a likewise desire not to kill my horse )

The horse very definitely responds to both, through a bit of trial and error over time, so it's well worth it. I just don't think it should cost the $250/month I'm being offered. I *adore* my vet, but really...?
    Yes, u are right. The L should cost about 100 for a vet to give and the A about 60 to give. Add trip fee of 50 and you are being overcharged if they are getting 250.

Angry This gets me steamed...

My vet would not write a script for Adequan for me. I don't have a trailer, and I think our trip charge to the farm is something like $75 a time. Plus the cost of administration. Plus the cost of the shot with the vet's mark-up.

In other words, the cost was insane, I could not afford it, and giving muscular shots is not rocket science (now I do not administer IV shots/i.e. Legend on my own). I learned how to do im shots in order to give the Adequan, and now also give my own vaccines. I didn't even have to halter my horse (not suggesting this, just pointing out how much of a non-issue it was for him), just let him eat his grain and two seconds later we were done.

Actually, now that I think about it, this largely led to me bringing most of my business to a different vet clinic, who I subsequently used for breeding/foaling this year. Which is much bigger $$. Mmm.

Anyway, second vet examined horse during spring vaccines and wrote me a script, and I bought Adequan here: http://www.allivet.com/Adequan-Equine-p/10041-7.htm $289 for 7 vials (i.e. the treatment run). The syringe/needles are super cheap, pennies, I forget (this was awhile ago) and I bought them there as well.

After all that drama, I did not see a difference following treatment...figures.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post

Adequan at $400 for 7 vials is a bit of a rip-off in the US. $300 is much more reasonable...
    I pay almost $300/7.
    Of course, I'm not buying in the quantities some practices are, but I'd be losing money to charge $300 for it.

Of course, I'm happy to script it out and save the aggravation...
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

SmartPak sells a 10-dose vial of Adequan for $360, I got mine there. The shots are easy to give, just stab 'em in the boob muscles. It's a big target and you can't hurt them. Use a 22-gauge needle and they can't even feel it. Literally a monkey could do it.

Shockingly, my vet actually lowered the price on the 7 vial Adequan to ****drumroll**** $250!
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

For legend I pay about 80 (give myself) and i pick it up from my local clinic. Had gotten it as high as 95 from other vets.

I think Adequan is under 50 dollars most places.

I used to (before i knew better) pay 125 from a vet that didn't let us pick it up.

I'm done w/vets that don't let us give routine Rx.....

Yeah, it would be worth it to me to do the Adequan myself, but I don't feel comfortable doing the IV injections, so the vet would have to come out *anyway*...

I got the detail today: Adequan $95, Legend $145, farm call $35 = $275.

I'm more than a little at the markup here.

Honey, that's insane! Adequan is $26 per shot and Legend is $80 at RETAIL prices! If your vet can write you a prescription, you can do the Adequan yourself. For the Legend, isn't there anyone near you who can do an IV shot for you? It doesn't need a vet really.
    www.thislifeblog.com

$65 for farm visit. $80 for Legend. The price of the farm visit motivated me to learn to do the IV injections.
    pace, path, balance, impulsion and ??

Don't panic! Ralph Leroy Hill

I would give Adequan only as directed. I used to give my horse 1 a month shot. I really didn't see much of a difference. Last month I did the 7 every 4 and amazing results. It cost about 300.00 and my barn manager gave the shot IM. Legend is IV so I prefer to give him Conquer gel 10cc a day. Legend has a very short window, works for about 5 to 7 days as an anti inflammatory unless directly injected into the joint. Try the Conquer gel instead!