The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mini Donk w/Blanket

My mini donk is 27 YO and the cold seems to get to him more the older he gets. Not stiff or shivering but tends to hang out in his shed more on colder days and lays down more if it is windy and chilly. I decided he needed a blanket to keep the chill from his old bones (not usually a blanketer unless it is sub-zero and critter is shivering). Got one that fits him after several tries. The standard blanket measuring apparently does not hold true for donks, measured him and it should of been about a 60 (he swam in that one), returned that and got a 48 and it fits perfect.

Put the blanket on him Saturday afternoon and my geldings reaction was as if I had put a tiger in the pen next to him. Now said gelding is pretty unflappable (tarps, blanketed horses, his blanket, trails through the woods, riding down the road with semi's passing never been a problem). That boy ran around for about an hour watching every move that "tiger" made and getting as far away from that creature as he could. Another day or so of "oh my god it moved, run for your lives" and some snorting and acting the fool and he has finally accepted that donkey in blanket does not equal a horse eating monster.

LOL! Geldings can be SO silly sometimes. Yeah,and I bet he had his eyeballs bugged out down to his nostrils, too. We'll never understand why something like donk = ok, blanket = ok, donk PLUS blanket = HORSE EATING MONSTER!!!
    Same formula as barking dog = ok, truck = ok, barking dog IN truck = HORRIBLE OOGIE BOOGIE!!! However, it does tend to keep us amused...

Um, excuse me - but how in the heck do you think you can get away with posting that without a picture?!

Pictures - I want pictures!

I want to see your elderly donk in his new blankie.

I want to see pics too, please!

I love your story!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

I will get a picture and post it when I can get one during daylight hours (probably Thursday).

To tide you over until pupakin gets her pic posted!
    Presenting...Hector with blanket! And I totally agree that blanket sizing is NOT accurate for donkeys!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HectorBlanket.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	31548