The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Not-quite NPA, wedge pads, and jumping

So my little FWFEH (future world famous event horse) has very slightly or not quite negative (as in within 1 degree +/- zero) both palmar and plantar. He'll be getting NB shoes + wedge pads tomorrow. Dr R is of the opinion that the wedge pads will be a temporary situation, and pulling the toes back and allowing the heels to grow will be "more molehill than mountain" (his words). Rads and pics are available.

We were planning to start over fences here shortly-Vet doesn't see a problem, but wanted to check with some folks that may have been there done that.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Not much knowledge with the NB shoes but have had wedges on my pony a few times for one reason or another. Pony tends to crash his heels and make himself heel sore. The wedges did not bother him jumping. Matter fact he really felt great in them. They are just temp to fix a problem. Only need them for a few shoe's. Now they are gone. Just see how the pony takes to that much of a change. Might be sore after the shoe's are first on.

I have seen many event pony's run around HT's with wedges or some sort of pad on.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventcrazy View Post
    Not much knowledge with the NB shoes but have had wedges on my pony a few times for one reason or another. Pony tends to crash his heels and make himself heel sore. The wedges did not bother him jumping. Matter fact he really felt great in them. They are just temp to fix a problem. Only need them for a few shoe's. Now they are gone. Just see how the pony takes to that much of a change. Might be sore after the shoe's are first on.

I have seen many event pony's run around HT's with wedges or some sort of pad on.
    Great. Thank you for the info!

There's not many jumpers around this area, and whilst I have faith in my vet, and he knows what I'm 'up to', just needed a little reassurance.

We're going to go pretty slow the first bit after shoes get tacked on this afternoon-probably won't do a whole lot besides turn out and inhand until the first of next week, depending on how he feels.

Thank you!

My horse had NB shoes and a wedge pad for the first two years eventing (Novice and then Training). She was rushing fences and unbalanced on the landing. I started doing work with a Hunter/Jumper trainer and she adamently told me to go to flat shoes with the wedge.

She said that the rushing and unbalanced landing was because the shoes rocked her too far back which caused her to be unbalanced. The rushing was her lack of confidence.

So, my farrier removed the NB shoes, kept the wedge and put her into steel flat shoes. Low and behold she was right... the horse got better and better!

Then I did research... you will find a thousand of passionate pros and cons... I read it all and took it in and used common horse sense. They were designed as a short term fix... corrective.

I also found out that wedge pads will "fix" the problem but will also prohibit the very heel growth you're using the pad to fix.

Ahhhhh...

Good luck

That's good to know about the NB shoes-I'm hoping this is a very temporary fix, because if nothing else, it is HELLA expensive. $200 to shoe a horse? Gah. (Keep in mind the average going rate for FT, certified farriers is roughly $75 for four rim shoes and a trim...so yeah, major sticker shock!)

She did put leather pads on, as opposed to plastic/rubber/whatever they are, because supposedly they will crush before they crush the heels that are trying to grow? I'm trying to educate myself on the why's and how's so I can at least fake intelligent questionsbut it's taking a while to wrap my head around it.

I'm hoping that we'll get out of the NB shoes ASAP, within 2-3 resets, because they're not cheap either. (Yes, I squeak when I walk!) He has really LTLH going on, so maybe we'll be pulled back enough to to a regual steel shoe soon.

We started with wedge pads when an ex-farrier cut my horses heels off. They worked ok, but the frog got all nasty under the pad, trapped heaps of moisture, so we switched to an aluminum NB wedge shoe (no pad). I love them -- and my horse loves them. He is balanced and super comfortable and moves like a million bucks. Then he has regular flat steel on the back. It's not that expensive, $90 for the whole deal, but that may be a regional thing? The farrier is great (I'm a foot nazi, I watch everything) and most importantly, my horse is performing top notch. He's been in them for about a year now and I have no complaints.

Different strokes for diff't horses of course, but you get a big thumbs up from me.

We - not we, SHE -trimmed the 'innards' out of the pads, turned them into rim pads to prevent thrush and such. I said Whoa, what about frog loading? She pointed out the dirt around here, yep, it's soft, and deep, and will load the frog regardless.

I don't think the NB shoes themselves are all that much, $35 extra for new IIRC. I'm pretty sure it was the wedging that was the extra. Once we get things evened up a bit, I'm going to ask about the wedge shoes, rather than shoes plus rivets plus pads, because the less 'stuff' there is to break, the better off I am.

Now to see if I can ride the beast, now that his tootsies feel better. The change in stance and the way he moves is sort of mindboggling!

One more question: I've never used studs, ever, so this may be a stupid ?, but can you d&t NB shoes for studs if needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Eklecktika View Post
    . (Yes, I squeak when I walk!)

Great line! Good luck with your horse. I'm dealing with similar issues...no fun.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Two years ago my mare was NQR, x rays showed some navicular changes, which along with upright pasterns and low heels made my vet suggest wedge pads. Now, two years later, new x rays show no further changes. We were using flat steel shoes, but two cycles ago he put shoes with a rolled edge on them to help her break over quicker. We keep her toes short. What a difference- she moves very well! I pay about $200 for those in front and regular flat steel in back.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Eklecktika View Post
    So my little FWFEH (future world famous event horse) has very slightly or not quite negative (as in within 1 degree +/- zero) both palmar and plantar. He'll be getting NB shoes + wedge pads tomorrow. Dr R is of the opinion that the wedge pads will be a temporary situation, and pulling the toes back and allowing the heels to grow will be "more molehill than mountain" (his words). Rads and pics are available.

We were planning to start over fences here shortly-Vet doesn't see a problem, but wanted to check with some folks that may have been there done that.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    This is almost exactly what I've got on my horse right now! It's only supposed to be a temporary situation, thank goodness because it's expensive ($230) . However, the extra support it has given her has allowed her to use her hind end much more effectively and in a much more balanced manner because now she can actually push off her hind legs.

I don't know if the shoes are NB, but I do know they are a shoe that was designed specifically for sport horses.

This solution was decided on after taking x-rays and having my vet and farrier consult together. My horse does not have navicular, she just had a slight, tiny negative angle in her coffin bone.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

You can get NB shoes with the wedge buit in; they're aluminum. That's what Keebler is wearing, coming off DDFT surgery.
    Click here before you buy.