The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hofrat - what kind of mare?

Gribaldi son.

What kind of mare works best with this guy. I've thought about him for a while.

What kind of temperment does he pass down?

Hofrat has sort of a plain head that he tends to throw, so maybe a mare with an attractive head. Then, depending on how you feel about Trakehner movement, maybe a mare with more articulation in the joints? And finally, all of my mares have very good hind ends and I have found that that helps with a lot of the stallions out there.

I think the temperament of Hofrat and family is just fine.
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Have you bred to him? If so, do you have pics of the resulting foal?

This is from a thread on the German Horse-Gate Forum. It is in response to "what type of mare for Hofrat?" Keep in mind that this is a crappy "Google" translation, and that "Hofrat" translates into "Counselor" in English, and "world-Meyer" is Weltmeyer.

"Well you know it is hard to say really bad. Mr. Gehring said he would be an amplifier, but I can not believe. I have seen such and such a foal and when we were there when Councilor, they showed us a world-Meyer mare with foal at foot-Councilor, who had right caliber. But then an Arc de Triomphe (or was Artistic Rock )mare with foal Councilor and that was more of a very delicate foal. Weltmeyer mother was also very caliber, whereas the Trakehner mare had a very fine foundation. We then have a Councilor-mare seen under saddle, which I found very convincing, movement-wise, as well as exterior standard. However, the well of a warmblood mare and had caliber. So really I do not really know what was on his inheritance. I like the colt, he is a doll phenomenon, has fantastic gaits and a lot of rubber and yet it is very clear head. He was riding in front tied for hours in the stable lane, by the way ran the riding stable and a horse after another was attached to him. Councilor like it very much, and I would call him even more noble."

Someone else responded:

"I have a three-year-old ridden, very chic, very long legs, is big I think. From half blood mother. Mare was far greater than the mother, but not necessarily now strengthened."

It's difficult to figure from the crappy translation, but it sounds, to me, that he adds size, but not bone, so may work with heavier mares. FWIW, I have a Friesian mare in foal to Hofrat for 2011.

Here's some youtube Hofrat offspring --

Gelding under saddle. I don't think there's any other pedigree info:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-k5Xe-BE1o

2yo Hofrat x K2 x Hohenstein
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRNMJmI2k4U

Crosiadore's Hofrat x Donnerhall x Pik Bube filly. WOW!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3vcl...eature=related

This one doesn't have any info on the dam, but she's in the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu3dWkeLxAk

And a very nice Hofrat colt at only 2.5 weeks. No other pedigree info, but dam is in video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nThY0...eature=related
    www.sauconycreeksporthorses.com
    Dedicated to breeding Friesian Sporthorses
    with world class pedigrees and sport suitability

The 2.5 week old colt in the last video was mine. I bought the mare in foal from Linda Woltz. He is a nice guy, still intact and very handsome. Hofrat did not refine the mare, but did not add either. The colt was considered as a stallion prospect, but I chose to bring him home. I would consider using Hofrat again- the colt can really move, but I must add, like Siegi stated, her mares all have a great hind and so does Donna Castania. By the way, her breeding is Don Crusador/Wonderland. Peg
    Fleur de Lis Hanoverians

Here is my Hofrat 2 y.o.stallion prospect that just arrived at Hilltop today! I also have his full ET sister Hermes. You can also see their mother on my FB page as well, SPS Alsonara (Archipel/Weltmeyer) a very good mare line. If the link doesn't work and you are on FB go to Rock Solid Warmbloods. They both have "model" (long) legs, 3 very good gaits and he has tons of suspension. I'm sure the Weltmeyer in their mother helped as well:-) I will get some good video once he is under saddle.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...13124348722561

Quote Originally Posted by Peg View Post
    The 2.5 week old colt in the last video was mine. I bought the mare in foal from Linda Woltz. He is a nice guy, still intact and very handsome. Hofrat did not refine the mare, but did not add either. The colt was considered as a stallion prospect, but I chose to bring him home. I would consider using Hofrat again- the colt can really move, but I must add, like Siegi stated, her mares all have a great hind and so does Donna Castania. By the way, her breeding is Don Crusador/Wonderland. Peg
    Lovely foal. Do you still have him?

No, I sold him to a friend. I have been considering using Hofat again this year- I'd nearly forgotten how lovely je was as a foal. Peg
    Fleur de Lis Hanoverians

Quote Originally Posted by Peg View Post
    No, I sold him to a friend. I have been considering using Hofat again this year- I'd nearly forgotten how lovely je was as a foal. Peg
    He certainly is lovely!

I'm looking at him for my Presidio - Singular Joter mare and for my Kingston - Remondo mare. Both are pretty headed with quick hindlegs.
    Cindy Bergmann
    Canterbury Court
    559-903-4814
    www.canterbury-court.com