The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any dry indoor arenas open to public use - so calif?

I HATE the RAIN!!! ... my saddle is clean, my horse is fit and freshly body-clipped, my breeches are washed, and we have a freaking 10 days of RAIN to look forward to. Yuck, yuck, yuck. Anyone know of a dry INDOOR arena (open to public or pay a small fee to use) in southern calif, that I can haul to next week?

I know years ago you could haul to Industry Hills and to the Pomona Fairgrounds and pay a fee & use their indoors, but don't know if that policy still exists. I've been hunting for the old phone ctcs I used to have to verify this info, but of course, I can't find that either right at the moment.

So, does anybody have some good info on Indoor Arenas that they'd care to share with me? I am going stir-crazy here already! lol

J
    ‎"Luck favors the prepared, darling." ~~ Edna Mode

Pomona? Industry? Walnut? Norco? Burbank?

Anyone have some details they'd care to share? I'd rather not have to drive all over town myself... but guess I'll have to tomorrow....

J

I know of at least one in the Moorpark area- sounds like that might be too far north for you?
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

I know of two private barns that will let you haul in for riding in their indoor arenas. One is Stacey Turner Equestrian Center in Norco. She charges $15.00/use. You do have to sign a release. The other one is Eastvale Equestrian Center in Eastvale/North Corona. It is owned by Susan Peacock and she charges $25.00/use and also requires that you make an appointment and sign a release. The City of Norco allows use of it's indoor arena at Ingalls Park a few days a week. It is free to Norco residents. I do not know about non-residents. You would have to call the City to find out. All phone numbers would be available via google. Good luck with your search. Why there are no barns with all weather footing in Southern California is a mystery. My daughter has three weeks off from school and is going stir crazy from lack of riding.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Contact info for Industry Hills and Pomona Fairgrounds is here (scroll down). I think I've heard people talking about hauling to the fairgrounds to ride within the last few years.

It will stop eventually. It always has. Meanwhile we all go a little crazy.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Thanks all for your help! Definitely going to slosh out & find someplace dry to ride! My yard/lunging area is about 6 inches underwater right now. Thank goodness I got a couple tons of DG into the horse stalls last month, so at least the horses are above the rising water! I can't believe how much rain we've gotten in such a short period of time! Anyways, thank you ALL for your timely suggestions!
    J

Just Outside of Dallas - California to be exact

It will stop eventually. It always has. Meanwhile we all go a little crazy.
    True.....but it doesn't help if you are a little crazy to begin with! The aftermath of all this rain is MUD. We were thinking of having a Mudwrestling contest to raise funds for the rescue, but it would be really dirty work.

At least the rain is not coming down in torrents for days. It's been pretty continuous, but no gully washers. Even so, I spend hours every day on my little drainage canals.

I didn't realize Stacey Turner's was still allowing use of their indoor. Good to know.

Hadn't heard of Eastvale Equestrian. Will have to check that out. Thanks for the info!

Jingo-ace, where'd you get your DG from. The places I have checked with are charging quite a bit and we really could use a bit more DG out here. Of course........that will have to be after the rains and the mud drys out or else we'd get Grand Canyon sized ruts out here!
    Be kind to the animals for they are the True Innocents!
    True Innocents Equine Rescue: www.tierrescue.org
    Join us on Facebook!

Default DG

Whoanellie - the best price I've found for DG is Wayne J Sand and Gravel.

That might be because he's not too far from me...I believe he is out of Moorpark.

Sorry I don't have their phone number handy.

Well FYI - Industry Hills covered arena is NOT avail. I drove up there today & spoke to the security guard at the gate & they do not allow individuals to haul in and use the arena. It would only be avail if there was a rodeo or a scheduled event. Too bad, cuz that'd be nice & close to haul to...

Eastvale Equestrian is the new name for Hidden River Ranch, in Corona, operated by susie peacock.

I haven't driven out to Fairplex yet, but when I do.. I will gladly share the info I find out.

@whoanellie - I got a truck & trailer load from Corona DG in Riverside for 375.00 back in October. They deliver & their guys are fantastic at being able to manuver those huge trucks into where I've needed it dumped. Of course, then I have to borrow a tractor or rent a bobcat to move it, but it is SO WORTH it when winter rains hit & my horses can stand on their mats, somewhat dry, overlooking their private pools. CDG Materials phone # is 951-737-4496

I've gotten a truck & trailer load of DG from them almost every year for the last 14 years - it really helps keep the mud down. I still hate the rain

J

They say it is going to get worse later this week... I can't imagine, it's been non stop since Thursday night here. Despite being locked and sealed our arenas started resembling lakes on Friday. We are just so waterlogged there is no where for the water to go at this point. It's been awhile since I was last at Ingalls in Norco, but they do have open riding times, and I believe they now have a second covered arena. I don't want to even think about trying to haul in this, so I'll just wait it out- it looks like it could be a long, wet winter
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

o.k.... here's the calandar for Norco- Ingalls Park.

http://www.norco.ca.us/cals/ingallspark.asp

I've been told that the open recreational riding times (FREE) are generally
    M/T/W 9am to 3pm - however in Dec they're closed a few of those
    days... see the calandar. It is an hour haul for me to get there,
    on a dry & non-trafficy day...so, IDK that I will try to haul in the
    OMG RAINSTORM that we're currently experiencing.

J

On the indoor arena/Cali topic, anyone have some Northern California indoors, for public use? To quote from the TB Friends blog, our mud has mud. Our lakes have lakes. It is a disaster. No. Bueno.
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

@ponypeep - see the link listed above by peggy - it has northern calif locations listed first... maybe one of them is a covered arena you can haul to?