The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Saddle pads that don't slip back?

I'm currently working on a 16.2hh Appaloosa Sporthorse stallion whose build does not seem to agree with any saddlepads. I've tried pretty much every kind we have in the barn... shaped pads, square pads, with velcro and without. I've tried making sure the pad is extra forward when I tack up and making sure the girth is definitely tight enough. They all slip back! And I don't mean by an inch or two, I've had pads come almost halfway out of the back of the saddle, usually after jumping a few fences. Flatwork doesn't seem to be so bad.

The only option I haven't tried, because I don't have one yet, is something with a roll of sherling (real or faux) in the front. I'm assuming having a little speed bump there will keep it from sliding back, even with velcro.

Has anyone had success with anything else? He does not have sharkfin withers, nor is he built like a witherless Quarter Horse. He has pretty medium-level withers, in my experience, and there is nothing wrong/abnormal with his back. But those saddle pads just disappear...
    Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
    Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

Barnsby Grip Pads: http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=6722. They aren't cheap but I love mine. I have two of them, one of which I bought in 2004, and it's still in pretty decent shape.

"If ever I did not have a horse or dog in my keeping, I should feel I had lost touch with the earth." ~Beryl Markham

I have had great luck with the Ecogold pads.... expensive but so far they are worth it. AND they really hold the saddle.
    owner and friend of members of the Limping And Majestic Equine Society.

Another vote for ecogolds! My normal pads slip back like crazy but the ecogolds always stay put!

Hm... well something's not working with the Ecogold site. I can't get to any of the pages about the pads. The Barnsbys look interesting too. But alas, I'm another college student with little spare money. I also am trying to stay away from huge square pads as the horse is green and I am riding with a dressage whip and hitting the pad, as opposed to the horse, is not very helpful. lol

Anyone have one of the "Euro fit" Mattes pads? I really like the shape in that it's bigger than a shaped pad, but it has the back cut away enough to effectively use a whip.
    Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
    Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

Have you tried using the Nunn Finer no slip pad underneath? It's only $20. I have a custom Toklat pad my mom got me at BOB, and it's great even when Apollo was freshly clipped, but I do think it's a little big. I'm not sure if they come in other sizes/ styles or not. I'd love to get a cutaway one for dressage. I think it was $50-$60, and that was in custom colors.

Back in the 90s when I worked for a BNT I was fascinated when he had us get the fake "chamois" cloths out of the tack room, dip it quickly into a bucket of water, wring it out and put it between pad and horse.

??? You say? Yup, even on the shiniest, sleekest, roundest event horses over big time jumps. Saddles didn't budge. So for about $5 every year, I go buy a new one especially for cross country hacks ( you never know when the round bales mught come alive) and my DD's very round little pony.

AND - they go in the washer no problem, just dont dry them in the dryer!
    bad decisions make good stories

One of my horses is like this - and it was someone here who used the phrase "pad spitter". Unless the pads are secured with both the billet loop AND the girth loop they have actually come entirely out the back of the saddle (the baby pad experiment). They start slipping within minutes of the ride.

I can't use poly pads with her b/c they have no straps. I think it has to do with the shape of her back because she is much rounder than any other horse I've had - and use the poly pads just fine.

I don't like putting rubber mats against their hair/skin - it seems counter productive to allowing the pad to absorb any sweat.

This happens with all 3 of her saddles, all 3 of which have been fitted and deemed "about as perfect as you can get". I'm convinced it's that she's really round, even though she has a wither.
    Last edited by Hilary; Dec. 19, 2010 at 05:04 PM.

http://www.pennequinegear.com/pennequinegear_003.htm
    we have these for polo pads. Ken mostly sells to racing stables for race towels/pads

We used the Nunn Finer no-slip pads in a BNT's barn - they're cheap and withstand everyday use. A steeplechase barn I worked at used that rubbery shelf matting, instead - super cheap! You can even get a big roll at the dollar store. Worked great for us.

I find that poly pads really stay put (even the knock offs, like Riders and Roma).
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Pads slipping consistently like that suggest a saddle fit problem to me. Have you had a fitter evaluate him and your saddle?

Quote Originally Posted by katie+tru View Post
    Hm... well something's not working with the Ecogold site. I can't get to any of the pages about the pads.
    Oops, sorry about that... Weekend before Xmas, server overheated - should be working fine now. Here's the link to the Secure Saddle pad line (the pads used by the WEG teams) and then, just click on each product.

Quote Originally Posted by CookiePony View Post
    Pads slipping consistently like that suggest a saddle fit problem to me. Have you had a fitter evaluate him and your saddle?

also true...

Saddle fit would be the first thing I'd check/have checked.

The PolyPads have always been the most stable for me. I don't know why it seems like the more straps a and velcro a pad has the more it shifts, but that's how it seems to work out.

Assuming the saddle fits.

My best luck (unless you count the ones with straps, which are obviously superior in this regard) has been with well-washed-and-broken-in Poly Pads.

Or you could try a damp chamois under the pad. Helpful in many cases.
    Last edited by deltawave; Dec. 20, 2010 at 11:09 AM.
    Click here before you buy.

I third the chamois cloth idea. I was having the same problem and my BOB no-slip pad wasn't doing its job so I went to the chamois cloth and it keeps the saddle and pad exactly where I put them. You just get strange looks from people if they watch you tacking up...

I like the Roma knockoffs of Polypads. They are great. Another fantastic option is PadPerfect (www.padperfect.com, I think) - very affordable and last forever. I use these as my competition pads.

Another vote for Ecogold! My monoflap jump saddle would always spit pads out the back. It was custom fit for my horse so that was not an issue. Ecogold has fixed the issue!

Just curious... Is your boy possibly wide in the shoulders? Throwing another "check your saddle" out there. I had a round (not high withered) Arabian mare who was constantly losing saddle pads. I tried just about everything - grippy pads, under pads, sheepskin (yes, even that can get sucked under).

I realized it was probably the saddle and not the horse when I started using a wide tree dressage saddle and the pads stayed put.
    Finally a saddle fitter looked at her and said my jumping saddle fit was bad - not pinching or anything obvious - but a bit narrow through her wide withers, which was causing the rear of the saddle to pivot up, even though the rest of her back was strictly medium. I had to replace my jump saddle with a wide tree that I had specially flocked for her "odd" back - but I never lost another pad.

The wide dressage saddle was actually a great fit.

My suggestion - borrow lots of different saddles and see if your problems are bigger than the pad.