The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Oldenburg apprv. GRP stallions under 14.2?

HI, Im looking for a little guy for a 15.1 h mare. Must be fresh semen only! Outstanding movement, uphill etc etc.. any ideas?
    www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
    Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!

http://www.oldenburghorse.com/book/stallionlist10.htm

GOV/Weser Ems Ponies are on the right.

Click the link in the left top side bar for 2011 updates.

Quote Originally Posted by goodpony View Post
    http://www.oldenburghorse.com/book/stallionlist10.htm

GOV/Weser Ems Ponies are on the right.
    yeah.. I was actually looking for suggestions and feedback.

I have foals by Wildwych Eclipse (14.1HH) and Ardceltic Art (15HH) both are lovely, correct and exceptional temperaments (my favorite foal crop to date)...and both are purebred Connemaras from my Weser Ems approved Connemara Mares.

I have met Chardonnay and he is perhaps my favorite GRP in N.A. I have not seen any foals though.

You should look at my weser-ems pony, Burberry. He is the smallest licensed stallion at 14hh
    with all GRP bloodlines. He has several generations of pony behind him and combines the breeding dynasties of Black Boy and Constantin. He is a beautiful, uphill mover with a fabulous temperment amd work ethic. When I searched last year for the mare I wanted to breed to him, I choose a 15.1hh mare. I would be happY to tell you more aboit him.
    Whispered Wish Weser-Ems: Breeding quality German Riding Ponies!
    Standing the stallion Burberry
    www.germanridingpony.com
    www.facebook.com/HighlifesBurberry

I have foals by Wildwych Eclipse (14.1HH) and Ardceltic Art (15HH) both are lovely, correct and exceptional temperaments (my favorite foal crop to date)...and both are purebred Connemaras from my Weser Ems approved Connemara Mares. My colt by Eclipse was definitely born uphill and is breathtaking and will remain a pony.

I have met Chardonnay and he is perhaps my favorite GRP in N.A. I have not seen any foals thought.

I really want to aim for under the magic 14.3 with the foal... so smaller the stallion the better! Chardonnay is also too big I think. Burberry I like a lot, but I dont think would improve her through the neck (she is a TB). Maybe a GRP with a lot of welsh or arab blood? Im a huge fan of Makuba which has this, but no guarantee on height with him.

Not sure what you are trying to improve in the neck, but Burberry is very correct in the neck. I also have his full sister and two half sisters, and all are very correct. I do have a Chardonnay colt who is a stallion prospect, but I am not sure how Chardonnay throws as far as size. Lots of nice Welsh in this country, but few are approved. Why dint you post pics of your mare...
    Whispered Wish Weser-Ems: Breeding quality German Riding Ponies!
    Standing the stallion Burberry
    www.germanridingpony.com
    www.facebook.com/HighlifesBurberry

I would take a chance on using Burberry on a small thoroughbred mare. Hopefully she will not produce more size than you hope to get.. as I am sure she comes from larger horses in prior generations. If it is a first foal that might work for you regrading size. Burberry has a lot of good qualities, and is a good mover with a good stride.

In thoroughbreds low set necks can be a bit tough to fix. I have seen Ewe Necks get to be pretty necks with good consistent training, but if you begin with less than you desire, don't be surprised if it comes back to haunt you later.

I would put greater value in looking for strength through the loin and hind quarter...and good legs and feet.

I think for sport pony I would prefer the influence of the connemara over some of the other smaller breeds... for soundness...for strength..for natural jump... braveness... and more.

Just a few thoughts to toss around.
    Be happy. Go for healthy.

Here is a lovely story of a connemara stallion that backs up some of the observations I have noted on connemaras. I just think they have more to offer for the "riding pony" than many other small breed choices... and that is just personal taste of course.

http://www.gatelyconnemaras.com/Colt.html
    Last edited by Hocus Focus; Dec. 18, 2010 at 06:43 PM.

hmm. maybe I need to rethink connemaras for her.. Ive always loved thme but thought maybe keeping it refined would be the way to go. She is always a hard mare to find the right stallion for because she could go so many ways..she LOVES to jump, really had a talent for eventing, has too much knee action for hunters, has even done team penning.
    Ill start hunting in that direction......any links you think I should see would be appreciated..

Although he's not listed, Belafonte d'Avalon is the first American born and bred German Riding Pony to be fully approved Weser-Ems . He completed the 30 Day Stallion Pony Test in November with exceptional scores. You can see more information on him on our website and you can see the video of his inspection on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIJZn...layer_embedded

I am in the process of finishing up editing another video of the dressage portion and the stadium portion of the testing and will hopefully have that up in the next few days. Send me a private email for more information
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Confo2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	31532   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	confo3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	31533   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canterjw1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	31534  
    Last edited by Equine Reproduction; Dec. 19, 2010 at 09:53 AM.
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

I have seen some really incredible large Welsh cobs. Not the typical, Welsh pony we think of but the true Cob. Have you looked for any of them?

Here is a link to one on our hunt. http://www.allstallionsdirectory.com.../wc0005lg2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Doctracy View Post
    I have seen some really incredible large Welsh cobs. Not the typical, Welsh pony we think of but the true Cob. Have you looked for any of them?
    oh yeah, my daughter rides with Jessica Wisdom now and we both love Cardi!

see how quickly I lose sight of my under 14.3h?

http://www.evans-welshponies.com/pon...ce_photos.html

k-- love this boy.. and 13.2

hmmmm welsh/tb cross or connemara/tb?

Did you want to go Weser-Erms with the GOV Oldenburg or Oldenburg -NA?

As far as Welsh stallions...

I like Providence, he is Oldenburg -NA approved.

Burberry and Belafonte d'Avalon are Weser-Erms/GOV Oldenburg approved.

I thought of Stibby-Me Weser-Erms approved, but he is 14.2 hands - so would be too tall for your mare.

I wish my 11.2H welsh stallion "Indy" hadn't missed the Old -NA inspection (due to trainer conflicts) as the OLD-NA person I was emailing with, including some attendees, judges, and site owner at Hilltop Farms really loved his pictures and wanted him to attend. I WILL be aiming him in 2011.
    Home of Janas Kernel of Independence and Doolittle's Pride N'Joy.
    http://bittersweethorsefarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by wehrlegirl View Post
    HI, Im looking for a little guy for a 15.1 h mare. Must be fresh semen only! Outstanding movement, uphill etc etc.. any ideas?
    What height do you want to end up with, and dressage movement or hunter, or jumper? I have been on the same quest and I know some of the best ponies. And yes, some have already been mentioned.

Shes Oldenburg NA MMB... I was wanting to aim for the foal to finish true pony size, but looking at the connemaras I may have to think on it. The mare has a very nice jump so I dont know if I want to go with this for a nice kid size h/j.

I think one of the under-used for Weser-Ems breeding is *Wedderlie Mardi Gras. Your much more likely to stay pony sized with him as well. He is a lovely mover, and has been extremely successful in the show ring. He stamps his offspring SO strongly in many respects. Every Mardi I've met has been very sweet and personable too (as is Mardi himself). He is Weser-Ems approved.

FWIW, you've seen pictures of my Mardi son, who is pure Welsh, and he is a MOVER! I can't say enough about how much I adore him in every aspect.

If you go with a 14-14.2 hand stallion, your cutting it really close to getting a "hony".

Mardi Gras video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEi2tOvh-tI
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Quote Originally Posted by wehrlegirl View Post
    hmm. maybe I need to rethink connemaras for her.. Ive always loved thme but thought maybe keeping it refined would be the way to go. She is always a hard mare to find the right stallion for because she could go so many ways..she LOVES to jump, really had a talent for eventing, has too much knee action for hunters, has even done team penning.
    Ill start hunting in that direction......any links you think I should see would be appreciated..

Here is a site with a wide variety of Connemaras offered for sale. Quality may vary and not all of the vendors have the slickest fanciest photos. Still fun to browse through though. Clifden offers sales. Might be fun to attend one at some point in the future.

I also check through the north american registries and see what is available in North America. Just browse around. Personally prefer to see statistics over stallion promoters. The proof is in the progeny.

http://www.donedeal.ie/find/horses/f...+desc&start=45