The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spanish Riding School in Vienna..anybody been?

I just booked a trip to Europe for February, and will be in Vienna on my birthday...so of course i'm going to go to the Spanish Riding School :-D Has anybody been? Are the shows expensive? Can you take a tour of the stables? Can you pat the horsies?

http://www.viennaticket.com/english/...ingschool.html

Go here. It has schedule and prices; My sister was there maybe 8-10 years ago. It does not have a lot of space for spectators, so buy your tickets in advance if you can, to be sure and get in. It looks like the stable tour is included in the training performance as opposed to the formal performance. She said the performance was fabulous; she had no interest in the stables or up close w/ the horses as she is fairly allergic!!

Was there in the seventies. Do buy tickets ahead of time. I went to the training performance. Was enthralled to say the least.

I toured the stables prior to the performance.

Two things that surprised me. How tiny they were and how old the horses were. Fit and in awesome condition in their twenties.

Also, there was a place not far from there that had the world's best apple strudel! Can't remember the name, but it had wooden wainscoating, then mirrors the rest of the way up. Tiled floors, like right out of an Agatha Christie novel. They serve tea and coffee and dessert I think. If I remember it is a few blocks north of the School.

You are going to have a great time!

I went there years ago. Was totally sold out, but I managed to buy a ticket off someone on the street ;-) Was a cool experience at the time, though I think I was more excited that I was there after reading about the place for years, more than excitement about the actual performances .... if that makes sense!

What I do remember is being told off for taking photographs - strictly not permitted ;-) ... but I still have the photos somewhere!

I was there just this September. Depending on the day you can go to a riding session where they work the horses and do a little training or to a performance. They do have tours of the barn, no touching the horses though. I got all my reservations and tickets directly through the school:

http://www.srs.at/en/

Here's a link to the pictures I took of the horses and school.

http://europage.shutterfly.com/pictures/339

There's other galleries of the trip there as well broken up by the cities we went to. I definitely recommend going while you're there!

LetItBe
    Crayola Posse: Violet Blue

Default Awesome experience

I was lucky enough to have parents that enjoyed traveling. We spent several weeks touring Europe. I was also lucky enough that they cared enough to schedule some things I would be interested in. I was 13 at the time. They saved this as a huge surprise. We toured the stables but no touching the horses. I bought a book about the horses and their training. It lays on my coffee table even now 20+ years later.

I remember the performance like it was yesterday. It was a totally once in a lifetime experience for me. I highly recommend attending if you can get tickets.

I've been there many times. Definitely get your tickets months in advance for the performances from any of the web sites mentioned. The best seats are downstairs in what is called the Parterreloge. Of course, these are the most expensive. Sitting in the front row center is phenomenal as the horses come right at you. You can see fairly well from all the rows here. Second best seats are the first row of the Royal box (also called Hofloge). It is harder to see from the rows further back in the Royal box. Also consider the seats in the first gallery on the corners next to the Royal box. The seats in the front row at the other end of the hall in the first gallery are fairly good as well as the rest of the first gallery seats. The second gallery is fairly high up and I wouldn't consider getting a seat there unless there were no others available when I wanted to go. There is also standing room in the first gallery, but you don't see the whole arena from those positions.

If you go to morning training, you just buy a ticket and stand in line (unless they changed things since I was last there). You can pick whatever seat you want in the galleries or Royal box. There are no seats available to the public in the Parterreloge during morning training. Go early so you're near the front of the line. Bring a book to read.

There are scheduled tours of the hall and stables. You shouldn't pat the horses as they don't want to take a chance on any diseases being passed to them.

<---ENVY!

Can I squish into your purse and go with? Pretty please?

My nonhorsey sis & I scored tix the day of a performance about 15 years ago.

She was SO impressed and I had a great time.

It would've been fun for me to do a stables tour and whatnot, but it just didn't work out that time.

Highly recommend!
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~