Thank you all. I was kinda waiting to post about this until I had the necropsy results back. Bottom line is that my baby went from being fine, into a neurologic coma in less than 24 hours.
Friday night, my BM brought him out to the ring where I was teaching to have me inspect a boo-boo - it was a very superficial cut from a kick - told her to clean it out and slap some goo on. She says after dinner when she went to put him out he was sleeping - which is normal for him to nap after meals. When I came out Saturday morning, he was out flat in his paddock - I thought he was dead at that point. once I woke him up and actually got him up, I couldn't get him to walk so I brought his pasturemate in to the barn and got my husband and BM and called the vet. Gut sounds were good, no temp, good color, and not dehydrated - just could barely get up and couldn't walk.
Vet arrives and goes over him. We decided to take him to Cornell. It's kinda hard to load a horse that can't stand, so we rolled him onto a tarp and dragged the tarp onto the trailer. He survived the ride (I wasn't sure he would), and they immediately took him into xray (well as soon as they could sedate and drag him onto the xray table) with thoughts of it being wobblers or some sort of trauma to the spine given that there were no other clinical symptoms.
Xrays showed nothing, and they had to call in a specialist to do the spinal tap given that it was a Saturday. It's kinda blurry, but the normal tap reading is I believe 8, and his was 105. I had gone home after they did the xrays as I couldn't do anything there, and I had alot of finishing up to do at home for a schooling show I was hosting on Sunday. The vet called with the tap reading at about 7pm, and asked what I wanted to do. He was being pumped with anti-inflammatories, antibiotics and whatever else they would give a horse that could possibly have EPM, WNV, EEE, or rabies. I said that if he was stable, I wanted to give him a chance and we agreed that 24 hours would be the point where we would reassess - unless he started to go downhill. She said she could try some steroids and I guess the biggest problem was his inability to stand.
At 6:30am Sunday morning I got the call. After the Dex, he had shown a glimmer of hope by standing for about two hours. He was standing, but not there - he didn't respond and he couldn't see, he just stood. Then he went back down and into a deep coma. It was time.
He had been innoculate to the hilt (WNV, EEE, Rabies, Tet, etc.) and thus they needed to do a necropsy - after they get his brain back from the rabies test - so it will be a few days before I find out why. Bottom line: some form of aggressive encephalitis - could be a mutant strain. The mosquitos have been HORRIBLE here since the two hurricanes which is the cause.
It's times like these when I just want to crawl into a hole.