The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jolly Ball for the Bovine?

OK, I'm sure its a rediculous idea, but our barn bull wants a toy of some sort. He loves to push his dinner bowl around (one of those big rubber dishes), and yesterday he was having a ball pushing his new salt block around his pasture.
    His girlfriend couldnt care less about his antics... And maybe he'll grow out of this behavior as he matures.

Does anyone have a cow with toys? Would it be worth a try?

The farm where my gelding is boarded had 3 steer. They have all passed now due to old age. They were pets, in their mid teens when they passed. One of them LOVED to play with toys. Year round, he had old rubber tires. He would push those around, hook them into his horns and throw them around. It was pretty funny. This time of year (or in a couple of weeks), we would bring him old christmas trees left out by the side of the road. He would do the same thing, roll them around, hook them and toss them in the air. It was pretty funny. Better he have toys than use humans!

Give it try! And be sure to have the video camera ready, you might have a YouTube hit.

He's really pretty respectful of humans (his girlfriend keeps him in line).
    I've never heard of anyone's cows playing with toys, but I'm kind of glad my guys not a freak

If I do get him a jolly ball, and have a camera, you guys will be the first to see it. Ok, maybe the 5th or 6th... but it'll get out there.

He might just squish a jolly ball - Lord knows I have horses who do that

If you can get one of the big plastic drums, like they use for commercial food/liquids (55 gallon size) that has not had the top cut out - those are pretty tough, very safe (no edges) and very entertaining (at least according to the horse). They roll, they push, they do NOT go under the fence to the neighbor, and they make a satisfying resounding noise when bumped and pawed.

Note to self: take barrel away at night.
    Homesick Angels Farm
    breeders of champion Irish Draught Sporthorses
    standing Manu Forti's Touch Down RID
    www.IrishHuntersandJumpers.com

Our cattle played with the plastic barrels. Barrels were closed on both ends, but steer and heifer had a lot of fun pushing them around. I think it started with needing something to rub on, escalated from there. I never knew cattle had such a need to RUB themselves on everything before last summer! They had a half dozen barrels, I would find them all over the place every day.

If you give him an implement tire, cut out the sidewall to the lugs. Those beaded edges have NO give if bull should get caught on it. Cut edge will give. He probably would have fun with pushing the tread so tire is moved about too.

Anyway, a few of those plastic barrels will probably give him a real good time, keep him busy as well. A bull who has toys is NOT looking for OTHER entertainment like fence jumping. No creative thinking!! Glad he has a girlfriend, but he needs stuff to keep busy with too. Bovine toys are a GOOD idea for him.

Thumbs up Yes!

Our steer shares a pasture with the horses and pushes everything around. His favorite toy is the 55 gal drum cut in 1/2 that I have for his hay feeder. He loves to push it around and it's fantastic bomb proofing for the horses to have him out there thumping around with his plastic drum.

He also tries to get the horses to play by running up to them and then turning and running as fast as he can back to the barn. The horses are not amused. He can get a rise out of the sheep, though, by racing toward them. When he catches up to them he nuzzles his muzzle in their wool. He's really very silly and has the BEST smelling cow breath! I love the smell of cow breath.
    Alison Howard
    Homestead Farms, Maryland www.freshorganicvegetables.com

Maybe try a $2 WalMart beachy ball first. That way you see if he is interested with out being out JollyBall money.

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

I can't believe these stories! Who KNEW!!??
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    I can't believe these stories! Who KNEW!!??
    bovines really are quite full of personality. And there is absolutely NOTHING funnier than a milking cow romping around playing.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

I don't know what a bull would do but our horses loved this. We would give them the really large cardboard boxes that TV's or other good sized appliances came in as long as the box didn't have staples in it. They would pick the boxes up, turn and kick them and generally have a great time with it. The boxes would last about a wk at the most.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I have a friend who raises miniature cows, and she posted a video on her FB page of one of the calves playing with a Jolly Ball. So I vote yes.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by AdAblurr02 View Post
    He might just squish a jolly ball - Lord knows I have horses who do that

If you can get one of the big plastic drums, like they use for commercial food/liquids (55 gallon size) that has not had the top cut out - those are pretty tough, very safe (no edges) and very entertaining (at least according to the horse). They roll, they push, they do NOT go under the fence to the neighbor, and they make a satisfying resounding noise when bumped and pawed.

Note to self: take barrel away at night.
    This!!
    We used to have a black angus bull who LOVED his barrell. He pushed it all over his five acre pasture.
    We realized he needed a toy when he pushed up a large stump and and was playing with it so we gave him the barrell. He would spend hours pushing it around and trying to throw it. Too funny.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Well I guess I know what the bull is getting for Christmas! Now I just have to find a suitable barrel for the guy...