The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sensitive horse owners - quarter sheets?

With as cold as it has been already here in NC, I'm thinking about getting a quarter sheet. Never used one before b/c I really didn't have to.

One of my horses is really sensitive. He will frequently kick out at the blanket put over his back or small stick or something falling from a tree on a trail. It's just him, not a back issue. I think he might benefit from having some extra warmth on his back.

Do you find your sensitive horses do OK with a quarter sheet? Does it take a bit for them to adjust to it? Does it interfere with trotting and cantering or is it more for a cold hack type ride.

My mare was a little bug-eyed at the quarter sheet for awhile, but soon learned to ignore it entirely. If you're concerned, I think I'd put it on under the saddle, then longe the horse for a few days with it on, just so the horse can get a feel for it, THEN ride with it on.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Tony's been thru 2 winters and my trainer has been begging me to get a 1/4 sheet for him. He has muscle soreness in his hind qtrs and it really affects him in winter. I finally 'caved' and bought 2 this year. What a difference, He's an OTTB and I was fearful on his reaction to wearing it, which is why I didn't get one in the first place. The first time I put it on he acted as if I was just blanketing him. I longed him before we rode and he was a dream to ride. Now I use it for every ride and our warm up sessions are much shorter and he's one happy guy

Also in NC and have sensitive horses and big fan of quarter sheets!

If he's spooky longe him with it for a couple days. My redheaded TB mare LOVES hers!

Jennifer

In NC too.
    expect the first few rides with it on to be a bit cranky. one he realizes that he gets to be warmer through the ride you'll have a whole different horse. All the horses at my barn are schooled in quarter sheets once it hits 50*
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

City of delusion in the state of total denial

My sister's former horse was as sensitive as sensitive gets. He was a special snowflake for sure. He went around like an antelope for about fifteen minutes and then realized it wasn't going to kill him and wore a quarter sheet until the temperature came back up. It made it easier for him (thin-skinned) and easier for my sister (able to stay on.)
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I love them! On some horses I've noticed it will twist slightly to one side when cantering, on other horses nothing!

And the worst reaction I got was when it seemed to be shifting and I reached back to fix it, turned out I basically gave the poor horse a wedgie with the butt string in the back!!! lol ....he didn't appreciate it!

The ones made by horsewear are great for sensitive horses since they don't move around