The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default is this a hackney?

ok, you hackney folks i have this pony, no background, but thinking he's possibly a hackney. if any can offer a guess based on pics, i'd be appreciative. I've never owned one before and admit i have never spent any time with one. he is very quiet (which i understand is not a common trait with the breed) doesn't really step high, but perhaps that is because he is just trimmed flat (??)

pics

http://www.horseshoes.com/forums/att...1&d=1292424776

http://www.horseshoes.com/forums/att...1&d=1292447446

http://www.horseshoes.com/forums/att...1&d=1292114116

appreciate your time

I would lean more towards QH with maybe a bit of welsh thrown in at one point, or shetland. But to me, looks more like a QH/Paint/POA type of build with just a little something thrown in that gave the slightly more refined head and longer neck, maybe even TB in there, but to be honest, i've seen a lot of grade quarter ponies that could be this one's full brother. I had several POAs that could out trot/snort an arab simply because they grew up with some and picked up the habit. Funny to see them try to curl their tails up that high, but they sure tried.

Hackney's are a bit more narrow in the body, slimmer all around, not all are blessed with that big trot naturally or even with shoes, it can take ankle chains and surgical tubing to get them up that high, just like with saddlebreds and arabs. Here is a good hackney pic:
    http://www.worldofhorses.co.uk/horse...kney_horse.jpg

Granted that's a pic of a FIT hackney and not one in pasture condition, tone your pony up and he may take on a bit of a different appearance, but from bone structure i dont really think hackney, and by temperament as you said, Hackneys can be HOT ponies (and horses).

I don't see anything about him that says Hackney.
    He is pretty cute though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    So much stupid, so little time.

he pretty much always flags his tail or atleast holds it away from his body more then i usually see, but i really don't see arab...i guess that is why i was thinking hackney. he is certainly pony in character :P loves his food and is an escape artist.

No ~ IMHO

But he is handsome ~~ enjoy !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Very handsome, and I love his trot. I'd say he has a little saddlebred mixed in.

oh saddlebred!!!!!! i never even thought of that....saddlebred would give him that length and width....but he's just under 14 hands and i don't think i've ever seen one under 16 hands....even a x-bred...would have had to be a pretty funky dam/sire combo.

Does not look like one.
    Free bar.ka and tidy rabbit.

Saddlebred ponies are still popular enough. And because they do not have to show ASB papers to compete, they technically don't have to have any ASB in them. But, people do still cross them with Hackneys etc. to get ponies. And some purebreds still come by it honestly.

I'd guess there is some QH, Arab and/or Morgan in him before I would say ASB, but I ceratinly don't see any reason to rule it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    So much stupid, so little time.

My guess.....solid POA (which can include Arab blood) or solid Paint Pony (includes Paint/QH lines in pony sized horses)....or a grade with Welsh/Arab somewhere in the background. More QH or even Morgan type body/neck.

I would say welshxQH I have 4 of them at my place and this one would match right up. Love that 13-14 hand power house of a pony.

well, i am going to guess its safe to say he's not pure hackney at least. i wish there was a DNA test to get a horses breed (s)

i have a welsh/QH and i do see some similarities, but this guy is longer bodied and his neck is set on higher. but i guess he could be more welsh cob type instead of the section B like my other welshie x. We have a welsh x morgan and i have known quite a few morgans with varying movement and type, so that could be in there. i think its pretty safe to say he's a pony X of some type LMAO!

there IS a DNA test that can give breeding info

I thought it was more $$$ but my BO says $80

She just got a foal from a rescue and was thinking of checking DNA
    Her foal is probably arabXqh

I'll try to get more info

and I'll agree that you have a nice pony but he doesnt look particularly Hackney (I had a Hackney Horse)
    In the horse, a couple of signature conformation aspects are a flatter croup and a long line stifle to hock

Welsh cob would be more compact in body, typically shorter neck, and THICK in build. If he's got some welsh in him it's a B which would give him the longer body, longer neck, but refined up his head some. B's are more of a hunter pony look, the other 3 sections are going to be compact and stockier with really thick bone for their size. Bs are the most common welsh pony in the US with the other 3 sections being fairly rare in most the US.

I have a QH/welsh B cross that doesnt look a thing like him, but she doesnt really look a thing like a QH either so she's a bad comparison.

I also have a welsh cob who's very true to breed standard and he resembles nothing of her.

Hadnt thought of a morgan in my earlier post, he looks like he could have some morgan in there as a possibility. Two types of morgans being bred, the older foundation morgan which was short, stocky, almost QH in build, the other type being the more modern morgan, which can look a bit like a slightly araby looking hackney for lack of a better description... lol I only have hands on knowledge of the old style foundation morgan which is very quiet and sensible.

I grew up in arabs and i really dont see arab in him.

Shetlands have two types, classic and modern. Classic are your typical thicker built pony, but modern can have hackney in them and look like a little hackney pony. Some of them have courser heads, some dont.

Still leaning more towards a QH/Paint/POA. Gotta remember that LOTS of breeders out there do not breed true to breed standard, MILLIONS of backyard breeders that dont give a crap about looks. A QH can look like just about any breed these days and still have papers. I LOVE a "breeding stock" POA (one without color) because i get the brains and size of the POA with a look that doesnt stick out terribly in the show ring. I used to buy/sell hunter ponies, these were the best hunter pony i could get. Love a welsh, but half the time they are too hot for the beginner kids. So that good brain could be coming from the quieter breeds.

He's very cute regardless, great size! Like dogs, those heinz 57 types can be super hardy critters!

yeah, i don't have any reg. ponies in my barn, but having at least an idea of breed is usually helpful when it comes to training. i have a welsh/shetland and had a shetland/QH of which neither looks like this guy.

i agree, he is cute (and i LOVE a black pony) and is going to be a nice childs pony eventually. he's come a long way already and if i can get him to 'cute-toot' around like a hunter pony, i'm sure my daughter will love him.

Keep in mind that with the discrimination in some color breed registries against the solid foals some of them are purebred (or acceptable crosses) and aren't registered due to lack of color.

Another thought....Quarter Pony, Paint Pony or Quarab

After looking at your photos and before reading any responses, I would guess this guy to be a Morgan. Although he is a little long through the body, he has a lot of Morgan type and there are some lines that produce that longer back. He's got a really lovely throatlatch and neck and very powerful quarters - reminds me more than a little of the gelding I used to have.

My vote is Morgan, either pure or part.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

I vote part morgan
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    An adorable photography book, makes a perfect gift.

he is a morgan. Just because he flags his tail does not mean that he his a hackney, it just means he is having a good time. I vote Morgan through and through.

absolutely not a hackney