The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Default Mice in truck wiring? Help!!!

I was rudely, and shockingly, awakened Monday in the middle of the night by the blaring of a car horn. We live acres away from other homes/cars, so clearly it was one of our three vehicles. After recovering from my near-heart attack, Mr. CC and I determined that no one was stealing a car, there was no car accident in our fields, and we determined which car it was by pointing key fobs and pressing wildly (it was pouring and blowing--no sense getting wet too soon!)

It was our '99 F350. I hopped in and popped the hood, and Mr. CC went to work trying to figure out what to do to stop it. I noticed, in the over head light, evidence of mousey activity--shredded napkin!! Curses!

Background: Super wet summer = more mouse food. Super wet fall/winter = super-sized mouse families seeking higher and drier ground. Truck is driven rarely, parked outside.

To cure the repetitive honking ( did I mention this happened randomly for a hour our so??) Mr. CC was forced to unhook the battery cable.

Now, dear COTH Helpers, what is our next step? Mouse bait in the drink tray? A trip to Mr. Mechanic, horn honking all the way (clear the way! Mouse laden truck on the move!), or what??

Sigh. There goes my "Christmas Bonus"....little bass-turds...
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=283707

page to of the ever so informative COTH 'on the farm' forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Thank you Alagirl! I suppose I should have searched, but I was still so traumatized by the horn from hell that all I could think of was sharing.

Ugh. I so don't need this bill right now. I'll check with my insurance, as well.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I always keep sticky traps under the dash. You just have to find a way/place to wedge them in so they stay put.
    "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Thank you Alagirl! I suppose I should have searched, but I was still so traumatized by the horn from hell that all I could think of was sharing.

Ugh. I so don't need this bill right now. I'll check with my insurance, as well.
    LOL I bet!

I just happened to have read it or I would have not known what to look for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.