The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Where to board for the long-term layup in MD/Va/PA

Been struggling with right hind injury for 9 months, and after trying shockwave and other treatments on an uninsured horse, I am coming to terms with the fact that my last option is to turn her out for 6-9 months and see if mother nature works her magic, and if not, retire her forever. I don't have my own farm, and was hoping to find a cheaper place to take her since I will just need field board with no riding amenities. I'm in Maryland, and willing to travel 2 hours in any direction. Any ideas? I'm just so sad
    Last edited by goingplaces; Dec. 16, 2010 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Adding location

Quote Originally Posted by goingplaces View Post
    Been struggling with right hind injury for 9 months, and after trying shockwave and other treatments on an uninsured horse, I am coming to terms with the fact that my last option is to turn her out for 6-9 months and see if mother nature works her magic, and if not, retire her forever. I don't have my own farm, and was hoping to find a cheaper place to take her since I will just need field board with no riding amenities. I'm in Maryland, and willing to travel 2 hours in any direction. Any ideas? I'm just so sad
    Try looking at the ads in COTH there are several for the Virginia area

Try putting the location in your title. You might get more responses that way.
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

We have a small farm in Frederick. We do "glorified" field board, they are brought in 2x a day and checked over and fed. Plenty of run-in's and have good round bales all winter. PM me if you would like more info!

We can offer rough board. We're about 30 minutes northwest of Harrisburg PA, depending on where you're located it could be within 2 hours. We have a 20 stall barn that we're only going to keep half full of horses, don't want to lose that small,family feeling ;-) You can PM me if you want more info, we have lots of space and lots of options.

Rigbie Farm may do lay ups. They have a great facility and give excellent care. They are in MD.

Historic Long Branch in VA, not far from Dulles Airport. You can goggle them. They have a very big program. My mare has been there for a year and is fine.

Sent you a PM

We have space in Middleburg. Send me a PM if you want details and references!

Thanks for all these ideas and options! I am looking at them and checking them out now. I knew I could count on COTH, plus this way no one has to listen to my sobs as I mull this decision over!

Quote Originally Posted by M. O'Connor View Post
    We have space in Middleburg. Send me a PM if you want details and references!
    I can definitely recommend M.O'Connor - feed and care was excellent!
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Talk with Yvonne Lucas in Berryville www.redmoonfarm.com . If she doesn't have room, she will know someone who does. She has several older horses who need TLC, so your horse would probably get lots of attention.

Please note that the OP said 'she'. In my experience, it is much easier to find layup / pasture board for geldings than mares. Good luck, OP, mare and I are slogging our way out of 2 years of mystery lameness. It is like joining a really messed up club. Hang in there.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Hunt Ridge Stables at Blue Ridge Farm in Upperville, Va. Patricia Ramey 703-973-1140

Patricia actually MANAGES the horses. She watches weight and behavior and makes sure each horse is happy and thriving. She is especially wonderful with broodies and babies but all the horses get excellent care. The hay she buys is top notch.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x