The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ok, make me feel better about gelding my colt...

I know I'm doing the right thing in gelding him, but this is my first baby, so I'm nervous about it....

I know there is after care involved. I will be off work for the two weeks following the procedure, so will be able to hand-walk him. He lives out all day and only gets stalled at night. How long will it take for him to start exercising himself? Will two weeks be long enough? My colt is 7 months old and VERY quiet...will this change his temperment or just maintain it? Will he be in obvious pain, or do they bounce back pretty quickly? Do they get pain meds??

Like I said, I'm just nervous....please make me feel better!!
    Thank you!!!
    Bookend Farm
    www.bookendfarm.com

My freshly gelded youngsters start exercising themselves the day after the procedure. It's best for them to be out and moving around. Drainage is good, excessive swelling is bad. You will be surprised at how quickly they bounce back. Mine never get pain meds.

Don't worry too much!

We just did two long yearling colts at Thanksgiving and it went easily - laid them down in the field, and no complications with either. They both stayed out 24-7 and with the cold weather, swelling was minimal. We've done 5 total (seems we always get fillies that stay and the colts sell and leave as weanlings) and knock on wood, it's been pretty non-eventful. Swelling usually peaks around day 5-6, but just keep him moving and you should be fine. Like Callaway said, they do bounce back quickly.
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

They typically bounce back quickly and in my case, exercise was actually encouraged.

No pain meds because you do want them to be careful with themselves and start running like idiots!
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Default Bounce back quickly ~ just keep him moving ~

They "bounce back" quickly ~

Keep him moving ~

Keep an eye on him ~

You both will be happier when he is a gelding ~

Happy Hoildays to you and your colt ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Yep, if he's not self-exercising, you'll have to do it for him - 20-30 minutes twice a day or so.

Mine was done at 11 months, and had no problem other than not really wanting to move about 3-4 days after, so I was walking him a couple times a day for about 2, maybe 3 days. Other than that, absolutely no problem.

Outside on the grass is best, so a nice clear, dry (air and ground) day is ideal. Cool is good, COLD is maybe not so good, and certainly too warm (ie bugs) is not ideal at all.

where you are, I'd bet this time of year is just perfect for this

We've done tons here and only had a problem with one that was not hosed. I recommend the hosing and clearing of the scab to allow for drainage. Some are quiet and do need help to keep moving. We have not given pain meds to the babies, only to a 5 year old that was gelded.

You'll be glad you did it before he gets that "hard eye" that says he realizes he's a stallion. My RID was always so laid back, but I could see that eye change at about 8 months and was glad I gelded him. I'm sure he would have been manageable, but I had no intentions of campaigning him and putting him to stud - that would have been beyond my abilities and I did not want that responsibility. My guy is a nice individual, but not stallion quality imo, so it was a no brainer...

Best of luck!

My little Perry was put out in a field the day after gelding (he was sedated and got very sweaty so spent the first night in a nice stall) chucked out with the two oldest, crabbiest geldings in the barn.

They kept him moving at the PERFECT pace if he tried to make friends or get a sympathetic look, no complications, and a somewhat meeker/milder 8 month old gelding came back in every night
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

He will be fine, you will be surprised at what a non-issue it is. Just follow vet advice.

I suspect it will be harder on you than him! Just think of it as having non-essentials removed thus allowing him to focus on what is truly important in his life....you!
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Thanks, Everyone!!!
    I'm feeling calmer already! :-)
    Bookend Farm
    www.bookendfarm.com