The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Devon Fudge Recipe ??

I'm posting this on the hunter/jumper forum hoping that someone who knows or is associated with the show might also know where I could get the recipe. I was hoping to make this as a special holiday gift for my daughter who should at Devon numerous times but is no longer riding due to "becoming a grown-up" time/location constraints.

I know that the recipe was published once in a newspaper in 1991 but my internet search has led to a dead-end. I actually had been given it once but can no longer find the copy of a copy that I had...

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated and help make the holidays a little more festive.

Thanks in advance....

oo I want it too!!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

My mother has "The Devon Cook Book" circa early 80's. I will check it out to see if it has the fudge recipe.

These people talk about it but the ONE who says she used to help her mother make it for the Devon Show doesn't post the recipe! EVIL!

(Warning, forum set up like farting butterflies)
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Do you know what newspaper it was in? You might be able to call the paper and ask them to search the archives?

This is probably sacrilege, but if you are going to go through all the time and expense to make fudge, wouldn't you want to make *good* fudge?
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I checked the archives of the Philadelphia Inquirer as well as two smaller local papers with no luck.

As to "good" fudge...my family LOVES the really granular texture of the Devon fudge. It is literally the only kind we have ever liked including some really pricey gourmet brands.

Thanks for everyone who is helping...This will truly make an amazing surprise holiday treat for my daughter if I can pull it off.

Default I'm with MyGiantPony

Take a standard fudge recipe and cook past the hardball stage for about 10 minutes... you'll have your granular Devon fudge-wanna be (fudge was?)...

I kinda feel like it's sacrilege for me to say this... but I think my own fudge is far superior.

That being said, we make up batches of authentic Devon fudge for our annual x-mas tree sale, which was not that long ago. Want me to see if you can buy a batch and have it shipped???
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Never had Devon fudge, but...by granular, do you mean like Scottish tablet, where it's kind of grainy (that's deliberate and accomplished by beating after it's cooked for ten minutes, then pouring and setting) or granular like dried-out and hte temps were wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Never had Devon fudge, but...by granular, do you mean like Scottish tablet, where it's kind of grainy (that's deliberate and accomplished by beating after it's cooked for ten minutes, then pouring and setting) or granular like dried-out and hte temps were wrong?
    More like Scottish tablet. It's very deliberatly made that way.

It's tasty in its own way, but would not be my go-to if I'm going to make fudge...I want creamy sinful indulgence.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

If they have it for sale, I would absolutely buy a couple of pounds. Otherwise, if I could get the recipe I'd try to handle it myself.

I guess I mean like a scotch tablet because nothing about it tastes wrong!

I think the original recipie is supposed to be a bit of a Devon secret

But email me and I'll pass your email along to the fudge ladies to see if there's any left to buy from the batches they made for the tree sale.
    ~Veronica

My email is vxf111 at yahoo.com
    ~Veronica

I just sent you a private message with my e-mail.

THANKS in advance!!

I thought the recipe was passed down to each generation in secrecy.
    I can't stand any other type of fudge, it's all too gooey.

Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    I thought the recipe was passed down to each generation in secrecy.
    I can't stand any other type of fudge, it's all too gooey.
    CBoylen, you are correct. I believe Pony Fan's life could be in danger should she acquire the recipe.

I promise...I'll stick the recipe into the last batch and consume it when finished. Then, as the national poster child for "OBS" (Old Brain Syndrome), there's no way I'll ever remember anyway!

I agree with some of the other posters...give me a nice creamy fudge any day over that granular kind

If you want the texture without necessarily the exact ratios of sugar to cream/milk/whatever they use, with tablet, anyway, that's achieved by, after you've cooked it to the designated temp, you take it off the heat and beat constantly for ten minutes to beat the grains in, rather than take your chances with allowing it to crystalize while it boils. (Tablet usually involves sugar, whole milk, cream, and the recipe I just used included evaporated milk. Does not have the gooey texture of the Mamie Eisenhower stuff.) It is also, being a Scottish candy, TEETH-SHATTERINGLY sweet. I've only made vanilla--is Devon fudge chocolate? Because if so your best bet would be to try a tablet recipe, melting the chocolate in before beating (when you add the vanilla.) You would get a grainy fudge.

If you decide to make fudge yourself, absolutely invest in a candy thermometer. I tried doing toffee last year without one and even having a vague grasp of the hard crack-soft-ball etc stages a good thermometer's a must. Also, beware the mix. Fudge isn't QUITE so bad, but hot sugar still sticks.