The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Oldenburg after-licensing

http://www.eurodressage.com/equestri...fter-licensing

After-licensing?

What is that? I have never heard of it!
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

They do it every year. In fact, most (all?) of the Verbands have a smaller licensing event that follows the big main licensing. It is for colts that were either not presented at the main licensing (weren't presented at the pre-selections, or were not selected for the main licensing), or were passed over at the main licensing event for one reason or another (maybe had a bad day, were overwhelmed by the atmosphere, etc.), but the owner feels the colt still deserves a shot at a license.

Some nice stallions have come through the after-licensings. Two I can think of that went through the Hanoverian after-licensing are Sinatra Song and Don Principe.

I am very interested in the Fidertanz colt that got approved for Schockemohle. He is one I want to keep an eye on this winter as that sire line works so well with one of my mare families and I have heard lots of positive things about him already
    www.volatis.co.uk - breeders of quality and colour

Sacha, do you know why the Hanoverians did not license this Fidertanz stallion?

The Fidertanz/Alabaster that went through the Licensing at Munster-Handorf was also interesting. Only saw him running free, not on the hard ground, but did go see him in the stall. Quite tall for a Fidertanz at 2 1/2. Beautiful stallion but looked maybe a bit tight in his back? Did you see this one go?

I understand the PS colt was too tense at the hanoverian licensing and wouldnt show a good walk, but he actually does have a good walk, so I assume he was much more relaxed at Vechta and showed himself properly

Didnt get to Munster handorf sadly as I was working
    www.volatis.co.uk - breeders of quality and colour

What the others said, however you can't normally re-present a stallion to the late licensing of the same Verband after he was turned down during the main thing. It is only for those who a) could not participate in the main procedure for whatever reason and b) for the few who end up as 'preliminary not licensed'. You can of course take your stallion to another Verband's licensing or late licensing but it would not fly with the same Verband unless the before mentioned conditions applied.
    An owner may chose to go for the late licensing if he isn't interested in selling at that point or if the colt was born late and is physically on the upswing so late presentation may increase his chances to do well.
    The Hano's also run an under-saddle licensing later in the spring which can be a good option for a few individuals but on the general scale has a lower percentage of successors vs. failures. Since the Main licensing and stallion market are a massive proportion to the Verbands' overall finances they try to get through as many as possible with the main preselection and event. If there is no sale there is no $$ for the Verbands to come in other than the mere application fee. They've got to live somehow