The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Those treating for ulcers...

Those of you treating for ulcers...whether its w/ GG or UG, Generic Omeprazole,Ranitidine etc...did you stop giving your horse other medications or supplements during treatment? My horse is currently getting a calming supplement for his recent change in behavior/temperament along w/ his probiotics & u7 which he's been getting for some time now...however i just discovered he was positive for Lyme-so he's now also getting Doxycycline for the next month...and while i know some of his symptoms now co-inside w/ Lyme...they are also some classic ulcer symptoms as well...and i know the doxy can be hard on their tummies...so.. can i start treating for the ulcers while on the Doxy...or should i wait?

Thanks in advance

My vet mentioned that although Doxy is hard on the stomach (I use a pre/probiotic with it....) that it is shown that doxy can be a contributing factor in curing ulcers I have treated for Lyme and ulcers at the same time before, with no problems. Good luck with you horse!

I stopped everything my guy is on while I was giving the UG. He wasn't eating his grain though. Now he is on daily preventive and back on his supplements. If you keep him on medications while on the UG/GG make sure you space out everything so the UG doesn't prevent him absorbing the doxy ( they are coated tablets so take longer to absorb).

I did not stop the TB's hoof suppliment...but then again there was no change with GG for Beau either.

So I went the cheap cheater (and yes ran it past the vet too) route. TUMS. They even make peppermint flavored ones though Beau really liked the berry flavored ones and would pick them out of his grain. After that seemed to help some and they were clearing up I also changed all his feed to senior feed due to the high fiber content.

And now the skinny TB looks like a fat QH with no major issues under saddle....and only throws his head for fun now when his blanket gets put on....if he has food he forgets to do that too.

Rescue Pony- how many TUMS did you use and how big is your horse?
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

He was getting about 10-15 Tums a day as a 16hh TB. (Or one good shake) while they were active.

Now he has been weaned off them (to prevent colic) and only gets them as treats since he LOFFS them!

But I figured it was worth a try back then and it paid off. Only about $5 for the generic Walmart Berry Flavored Tums every 3 weeks or so....instead of the expensive GG treatments.